USA vs UK

Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA vs UK

I really don't 'get' the complaints about the TV License in the UK, we pay almost $100 a month for cable here and it's mostly crap!
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daven2505
£140 PY for the BBC is amazing value compared with the crap Charter cable put out. I'd pay that just for Andrew Marr & Newsnight. Also it makes you aware how advanced SKY is back in the UK. Today I have just turned off most of my cable because it is dire!!

Watching the Tour de France on Versus Channel was just a nightmare with ads every second so I gave up watching on a 50" HD set & went to the laptop & streamed eurosport. Versus also for some reason think it is fine showing in primetime idiots hunting deer with crossbows.....my god how backwards is this place???

As for living here in MA its been 8 months for us now & we have had enough, the place is just not what you think it will be, its poorly run, the roads & bridges are falling apart, quality of food is so bad with so much salt & trans fats you gotta watch your blood pressure unless you shop at Wholefoods & wanna pay $300 to $400's for a weeky shop.
The lack of competition in the shops means that apart from Jeans & BBQ's even with a vat rate of 6.5% most things are the same price or much more than the UK.
Standard of driving is scary
Cost of living including heating & cooling our wooden framed house is vast & car insurance is some 60% higher than UK
Apart from 3 roads in Boston its all the bloody same, Malls, Dunking bloody Donuts & Starbucks as far as the eye can see & I know its a stereo type but the locals are very limited in their way of life it almost 1980 again.

Even at my age of 43 I on occasion still get asked for photo ID when I want a beer in a certain chinese restaurant yet I could go over the road into Dicks sporting goods & buy crossbows, guns & ammunition with little more than the photo ID............crazy!!!!!

As you can see its not worked out for us here in the US & to be honest we left the UK because were caught up in the broken Britian/Rip off Britian crap that the Daily Mail promotes but this is not the case at all.I never thought id ever say this but oh for the quality of Tesco's & Sainsburys for your weekly shop.
When we went back to the UK in June we realised at long last how advanced it really is & how freedom really operates so we are booking our seats on good old Virgin Atlantic(make sure its not the a340 300 with the old IFE & going home to our lovely house in Somerset early next year(thank god we didn't sell up)& appreciate England for what it really is........GREAT!!! & it's closer to France....Rant over Ladies & Gents
Agree totally. Only I'm in Florida waiting to make my move to the UK! The only thing keeping me sane is watching BBC; channel 4 etc via their catch up websites.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
well to be fair, grocery shops in MA are pretty crap for the most part, seriously, only one in a chain allowed to sell beer?
I was surprised at that, is one of the grocery chains actually allowed to sell beer? I thought the liquor stores had a monopoly?

Originally Posted by Bob
Wholefoods is great but pricey, Trader Joes is generally pretty good...Stop and Shop is generally crap and expensive, there's hardly any Hannafords which are good, Shaws are crap and that's about it for the large chains, oh, Roche Brothers, rip off merchants.
In Fitchburg we usually go to Hannaford or Market Basket (which is downtown, so known as the 'ghetto basket'). Seemed alright, though I hear pork is now a luxury item at the moment.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...-all-time-high

Originally Posted by Bob
He's nailed the roads and drivers too
Yes, worst is the older generation who all seem to drink and drive. My Grandmother in Law's boyfriend (bit odd calling him that, he is in his eighties) is always getting told to go home as he is pissed off his face at her garden parties. He always just jumps in the car and drives off despite being tanked. Bit scary thinking that there are people like him on the road.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Aug 2nd 2010 at 8:51 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You lost most of your credibility when you said you read the Daily Mail. Saying Trader Joe's isn't on a par or better then Tesco lost you the rest of it.
He hath repented of the Daily Mail sin. Trader Joe's I like but it's much smaller than Tesco.
Originally Posted by Englishtart
I really don't 'get' the complaints about the TV License in the UK, we pay almost $100 a month for cable here and it's mostly crap!
Me neither
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You lost most of your credibility when you said you read the Daily Mail. Saying Trader Joe's isn't on a par or better then Tesco lost you the rest of it.
well he has a point, TJ, generally is pretty good, but it is pretty none standard around here, the big one in Needham can be great, our local is great, but I've been to a couple that were shit and smelled of tramps piss...that and, well grocery shop in general in MA, fresh goods can either be superb, or rotting buckets of shit, literaly.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I was surprised at that, is one of the grocery chains actually allowed to sell beer? I thought the liquor stores had a monopoly?
No, I mean literally, each chain is allowed one store in the state to sell beer, usually in a smaller shop that doesn't have another chain doing the same locally. So Whole Foods is in Wayland, Trader Joes in Framingham.

Liquor stores are a plenty, but again, some really random rules for them too, there's one store down my way that weren't allowed to sell those little nips bottles, apparently because tramps were using them, which is daft, if they can afford a car to get there, they can afford to get proper bottles of booze

Oh and scary, when I was getting my license here, there was an old bird, in her late 70's, her glasses were coke bottle thick, she still couldn't read the bottom letters an inch from her face, the chap just "never mind, close enough" and passed her so she could get her license. Well scary that, but then there's no alternative to get around, which is really quite sad.

Last edited by Bob; Aug 2nd 2010 at 8:58 pm. Reason: adding the booze bit.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, worst is the older generation who all seem to drink and drive. My Grandmother in Law's boyfriend (bit odd calling him that, he is in his eighties) is always getting told to go home as he is pissed off his face at her garden parties. He always just jumps in the car and drives off despite being tanked. Bit scary thinking that there are people like him on the road.
I was watching a programme about a woman with Alzheimer's, it was all very sad and she was really struggling to cope with day-to-day tasks, next thing you know she's grabbed the car keys and gone off on a joyride.
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
He hath repented of the Daily Mail sin. Trader Joe's I like but it's much smaller than Tesco.
TJ is also owned by a German fellow, which is pretty random
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
No, I mean literally, each chain is allowed one store in the state to sell beer, usually in a smaller shop that doesn't have another chain doing the same locally. So Whole Foods is in Wayland, Trader Joes in Framingham.

Liquor stores are a plenty, but again, some really random rules for them too, there's one store down my way that weren't allowed to sell those little nips bottles, apparently because tramps were using them, which is daft, if they can afford a car to get there, they can afford to get proper bottles of booze
At least we can get a drink easily here (apart from being ID'd at the age of 49 ), I'd be long gone otherwise.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Aug 2nd 2010 at 8:59 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daven2505
Humphrey, it's not bad it's just different to living in the UK which we are led to believe is terrible with binge drinking, anti social behavior, CCTV watching our every move & so called high taxes & I fell into this way of thinking
Yeah, well; I happen to be quite fond of the U.K and always have been. I've never been one of those 'this country is going to the dogs' kinda people. It just happens to not be the country where my wife wants to live so it's adiós.

Incidentally, I might be a closet red-neck because that show with the deer and the crossbows sounds awesome to me. I'd rather watch that than Andrew Marr.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

I think some of you are missing the point in regards to the 140 quid license fee.

I hate it because it is compulsory - whether you watch the BBC or not.

If you buy a TV in the UK just to watch DVD's you still have to pay 140 quid for the pleasure of doing this.

It should be optional (like Sky TV is). If you want it you pay. If you don't - you don't pay and you don't watch it....
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

daven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nicedaven2505 is just really nice

I dont read the Daily Mail! I was just making the point that some elements of the UK media like to put the UK down but at the end of the day regardless of its faults it is an advanced well run quality place to live....& on the other subject Trader Joes is the best of a poor bunch & it does sell Farmhouse English Cheddar at a good price
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I was watching a programme about a woman with Alzheimer's, it was all very sad and she was really struggling to cope with day-to-day tasks, next thing you know she's grabbed the car keys and gone off on a joyride.
My grandad went half blind through glaucoma but he still got in his car every day and drove off into town. Sure enough he would come back with massive dents all over it and it was a hell of a job to get his licence off him.

To illustrate how bad it was, only about a week after he had given up his license my dad drove him to Colchester for some function. They were just leaving the multi-storey car park and were queuing up to get out when grandad opened the car door and decided to walk around a bit to stretch his legs. He then opened the door - to the wrong car! - and got in next to this terrified young woman who thought she was being car-jacked by an OAP. He had still been driving about 3 weeks earlier.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I think some of you are missing the point in regards to the 140 quid license fee.

I hate it because it is compulsory - whether you watch the BBC or not.

If you buy a TV in the UK just to watch DVD's you still have to pay 140 quid for the pleasure of doing this.

It should be optional (like Sky TV is). If you want it you pay. If you don't - you don't pay and you don't watch it....
This is also my objection. It's the fact that you have to buy the thing whether you watch the BBC or not and the state then employs Capita to spy on you and send you threatening letters if they suspect you of not having one. No the BBC can cluck off, Channel 4 on the other hand....

Last edited by HumphreyC; Aug 2nd 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

This is also my objection. It's the fact that you have to buy the thing whether you watch the BBC or not and the state then employs Capita to spy on you and send you threatening letters if they suspect you of not having one.
I think they're also talking about charging license fees next year for those who watch the BBC on iplayer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.