Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:01 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Schooling for a 15 yr old?

Okay, way off topic, sorry OP, but....

Flu vaccine can cause a mild case of the flu.

My grandmother had the flu in her 50s; it turned into pneumonia and caused permanent and severe lung damage. That lung damage caused her premature death.

I'm considered high-risk (asthmatic) but during the marital separation process I didn't get myself or my household contacts (kids) immunised.

I got the flu that year and was completely bedridden with no one to take care of me. I had to leave the kids with my ex, and at one point, I nearly had to be hospitalised.

I'll never forget my flu shot again.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:07 am
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny

My grandmother had the flu in her 50s; it turned into pneumonia and caused permanent and severe lung damage. That lung damage caused her premature death.

I'm considered high-risk (asthmatic) but during the marital separation process I didn't get myself or my household contacts (kids) immunised.

I got the flu that year and was completely bedridden with no one to take care of me. I had to leave the kids with my ex, and at one point, I nearly had to be hospitalised.

Where as I have had the flu shot, many moons ago, and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia anyway. Everyone is different. You would certainly be more succeptable than I, say but it's just differs. Certain people and certain bodies need certain things. I am not saying one way or the other...........anymore ..................if I can help it.................

But just do what you feel is right. Most importantly get knowledgeable.......
That's all
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:11 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IluvAbrit
Most importantly get knowledgeable.......
That's all
Hard to do when there is so much conflicting and distorted information on both sides.

Oh bugger....back again. I'm going....promise.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:11 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But just do what you feel is right. Most importantly get knowledgeable.......
That's all
I wish I knew what my body wanted! Well, other than *that*......

www.cdc.gov
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:42 am

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I knew what my body wanted! Well, other than *that*......

www.cdc.gov
shame shame
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:20 am
Lapine Member

shame shame
Yeah, I know. Lust is illegal in Texas. :: sigh ::
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:25 am

Yeah, I know. Lust is illegal in Texas. :: sigh ::
I don't think I really wanna know what that means lol
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

They wanted to vaccinate my 2 week old with the HepB.................Does she look like she's gonna be having sex? I'm clean, no problem. USA is rediculously overmedicated.
I'm with ya Amerilisa
and see that Rince is coming over as well

Coming over where???????????????
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

I wont be getting my son the Flu jab,and thx ILuv about earlier post,but i do appreciate all aspects of this thread so far
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

MrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura aboutMrsG has a spectacular aura about

This is a subject that I am passionate about too....
We have a chickenpox outbreak here in N Texas, but all these kids have been immunized against it. I believe it's only 67% effective. Me? I'm taking my chances and hoping that my 2 year old will get it the 'normal' way and be immune for life, just as my 8 year old and 7 year old did when we lived in the UK. (Oh and they haven't been immunized against Hep B-there is plenty time for that)
Vaccines.....that's a whole new thread......
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsG
This is a subject that I am passionate about too....
We have a chickenpox outbreak here in N Texas, but all these kids have been immunized against it. I believe it's only 67% effective. Me? I'm taking my chances and hoping that my 2 year old will get it the 'normal' way and be immune for life, just as my 8 year old and 7 year old did when we lived in the UK. (Oh and they haven't been immunized against Hep B-there is plenty time for that)
Vaccines.....that's a whole new thread......
When we first came over here the doctor asked if my kids had had their chicken pox shots. I told him they had both had chicken pox, his reply was "that's even better". This is also what the doctors in England told me, saying that my husband is one of 5 children and he never managed to catch it from his siblings when he was little.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:05 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by mandpete
When we first came over here the doctor asked if my kids had had their chicken pox shots. I told him they had both had chicken pox, his reply was "that's even better". This is also what the doctors in England told me, saying that my husband is one of 5 children and he never managed to catch it from his siblings when he was little.
It is better, though they say that the vaccination contains a strain of the virus that is less likely to cause shingles than the "garden variety." But there's no worrying about the vaccine wearing off.

To be very blunt, part of the reason to vaccinate is because parents cannot afford to take enough time off work to tend a child with chicken pox. MANY children with illnesses are forced back to daycare or school early because of this, and they infect others. That's the REAL issue the government needs to address.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Just a small point about vaccinations, whilst I agree that you may not require to get your child vaccinated for entrance into school, the Green card application is a whole different ball game, both my children have had to have all of their vaccinations in order to put the applications in, my daughter in particular has had to have vaccinations done again, even though she had already had them in the UK, mainly because they are called something different here, she has now had the TB thing (six needles in UK) three times and the school are saying it needs to be done again!!!! My son also had the chickenpox vaccination although I wasn't happy, they spouted on about it killing kids but thats certainly not what we are told back in England, doctors there positively encourage 'chickenpox parties'.. Strangely enough it made my son more ill than his sister was when she had chickenpox, his leg was very swollen and sore and he had more spots than she did, he still has a scar on his leg from the injection that will probably never go..
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:46 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
Just a small point about vaccinations, whilst I agree that you may not require to get your child vaccinated for entrance into school, the Green card application is a whole different ball game, both my children have had to have all of their vaccinations in order to put the applications in, my daughter in particular has had to have vaccinations done again, even though she had already had them in the UK, mainly because they are called something different here, she has now had the TB thing (six needles in UK) three times and the school are saying it needs to be done again!!!! My son also had the chickenpox vaccination although I wasn't happy, they spouted on about it killing kids but thats certainly not what we are told back in England, doctors there positively encourage 'chickenpox parties'.. Strangely enough it made my son more ill than his sister was when she had chickenpox, his leg was very swollen and sore and he had more spots than she did, he still has a scar on his leg from the injection that will probably never go..
sorry but i do not understand why you had a problem getting your children's vaccines from the uk recognised over here. they may have a different name but any descent medical professional would not have a problem transferring uk vacs to usa. i just took there uk vac. list into the public health nurse and it was transfered to there charts. they were then given only the hepA and hepB which are not given in the uk and also one mmr shot as they had only had one in the uk and two shots were required here. they were also required to have the varicella for immigration, but not required for school in this state. but it was recorded on there school vac record. just wondering why you had to repeat vaccinations that they had already had. also don't see the point of repeating the Tb test.