Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My 2 pence (or cents) worth

My 2 pence (or cents) worth

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:10 pm
ImHere

Default My 2 pence (or cents) worth

Ok heres my 2 <currency of choice> worth:

Theres a lot of bitching on here recently about US styles of doing things - and dont get me wrong I'll bitch with the best - but something I've noticed in my own personal world here is that we forget we are foreigners in a foreign country because we do speak the same language and we do have so much culturally in common. Also I've found that Americans also forget I am a foreigner here for the same reasons. And because of this it really does come as quite a shock when it turns out that thngs are done differently here to back in Blighty. Anyway that was my 2 pence or cents (or maybe its 3.6 cents due to the exchange rate?).. Back to the bitching.

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 2 pence (or cents) worth

Originally Posted by ImHere

Theres a lot of bitching on here recently about US styles of doing things - and dont get me wrong I'll bitch with the best - but something I've noticed in my own personal world here is that we forget we are foreigners in a foreign country because we do speak the same language and we do have so much culturally in common. Also I've found that Americans also forget I am a foreigner here for the same reasons. And because of this it really does come as quite a shock when it turns out that thngs are done differently here to back in Blighty. Anyway that was my 2 pence or cents (or maybe its 3.6 cents due to the exchange rate?).. Back to the bitching.
and you created a whole thread for that? You must be giving in to the American's ways.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:16 pm
Banned

Truth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really nice

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
and you created a whole thread for that? You must be giving in to the American's ways.
I'd like to thank the Academy, and also God for giving me the talent to fulfil my dreams... :scared:
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere

Very philosophical.

And we're not bitching, we are all "discussing"
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Arghhhhhhh!!!!! How many more times?

Respect for another culture can, and should, be taken only so far. Some things are just plain wrong, in any culture, and excusing them out of some deluded sense of cultural acceptance is ridiculous. It’s wrong for children to be obese. It’s wrong for meat to be pumped full of chemicals. It’s wrong for 16 year olds to think a new car is a birth right. It’s wrong that CEO’s ‘lose’ their employees pensions. It’s wrong that the streets are littered with homeless war veterans while military spending reaches an all-time high. It’s wrong for a retarded gibbon to hold the office of president. It’s wrong that small children should be shot to death because they live in the wrong neighbourhood. It’s wrong that police corruption and brutality goes unpunished….

Some things are just wrong. We point them out in the United States because this is where we live. Sweeping problems under the carpet because it’s impolite to criticize the host does nobody any favors.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:33 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I've only started posting on here recently and love reading the posts, especially when I am supposed to be working like right now! Anyway I'm a Brit married to an American and am surrounded day in day out by them. Don't get me wrong I love my life but I also crave my slice of England and coming on here helps me get through the homesickness whether I'm reading about someone bitching or not. By the way are there any of you out there in the Bay Area?
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:39 pm
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeedsGirl
I've only started posting on here recently and love reading the posts, especially when I am supposed to be working like right now! Anyway I'm a Brit married to an American and am surrounded day in day out by them. Don't get me wrong I love my life but I also crave my slice of England and coming on here helps me get through the homesickness whether I'm reading about someone bitching or not. By the way are there any of you out there in the Bay Area?
Me!
And Wintersong!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:46 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Me!
And Wintersong!

Hey Bored Silly, nice to meet ya!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:48 pm

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Bored Silly, nice to meet ya!
You too, wanna join my drinking gang? Ther's me and....er....Wintersong and...err....that's it for round here but we go out in Palo Alto if that's anywhere near you?
PM me if you get bored, I don't want to thread hijack!

Last edited by bored-silly; Jun 2nd 2005 at 8:49 pm. Reason: I'm thread hijacking again!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
Some things are just wrong. We point them out in the United States because this is where we live. Sweeping problems under the carpet because it’s impolite to criticize the host does nobody any favors.
I agree. But I also think it's wrong that the age of consent is only 16 in England. Would you agree?
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Yay!!! Another one for the girlie nights...

Hope you're a boozin' lass
Banned

Truth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really niceTruth is just really nice

LeedsGirl, nice to talk with you - I'm exactly the same.

From Liverpool and now find myself in Houston, TX. Liking it here for the most part, but there truly is no place like home.

I would kill for a slice of black pudding.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Yay!!! Another one for the girlie nights...

Hope you're a boozin' lass
Hey gorgeous!
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:50 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I agree. But I also think it's wrong that the age of consent is only 16 in England. Would you agree?
Absolutely flippin' with you on that one.

16 year olds are nowhere near emotionally capable of dealing with all the crap that goes with a physical relationship.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I didn't, when I was 15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.