Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

USA Highway Code

USA Highway Code

Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Default USA Highway Code

Hi,

Does anyone know where I am able to get a copy of the USA equivalent of the highway code?

I was thinking that they probably carry it at the DMV but I am unsure what they call it. It will probably be something daft like all car related terms

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Highway Code

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Hi,

Does anyone know where I am able to get a copy of the USA equivalent of the highway code?

I was thinking that they probably carry it at the DMV but I am unsure what they call it. It will probably be something daft like all car related terms

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm
Old Jul 9th 2008, 6:57 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Generally called 'Rules of the Road' and published by each state.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:00 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
DMV office, AAA Have them readily available.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the links and the replys.

I have got the online versions ok.

However I prefer a papercopy to use for revision. to many distractions when trying to use the computer to revise.

i am heading down to the AAA now to see if I can pick a copy up.

I will be sure to let you know.

Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I will be sure to let you know.
can't wait!
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
can't wait!
True Wythenshawe sarcasm
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

can't wait!
For those who are interested I called in at the library on the way to the AAA and they had some copies. It saved me a long walk

thanks for all of your help.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:21 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

The rules of the road here are very simple.
  1. Indicators are optional but if used, indicate left to turn right and vice versa
  2. When on an interstate pick a lane and it's yours.
  3. Speed limits are shown as a guide, but to avoid being killed please use the following formula (minimum driving speed = posted limit * 1.25)
  4. When lanes merge due to roadworks, wait until last minute and pull right in. In the event of any middle fingers, please point to gun in glove compartment.
  5. To be legally entitled to drive a Ford Expedition you must be a mother of two+, be under 4ft 8inches and purchase the ladder to embark/disembark from.
  6. When driving and the green traffic light turns yellow, accelerate.
  7. You are the best driver and the roads are for you and you alone.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder why they publish driving manuals no-one here seems to read them or follow the rules in them.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Hi:

Each state has its own code. In California, it is in the "Vehicle Code."

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/ca...ebody=&hits=20

Any County Law Library should have one. For ease of reading, make sure you get an "unannotated" version.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:07 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voltore
The rules of the road here are very simple.
  1. Indicators are optional but if used, indicate left to turn right and vice versa
  2. When on an interstate pick a lane and it's yours.
  3. Speed limits are shown as a guide, but to avoid being killed please use the following formula (minimum driving speed = posted limit * 1.25)
  4. When lanes merge due to roadworks, wait until last minute and pull right in. In the event of any middle fingers, please point to gun in glove compartment.
  5. To be legally entitled to drive a Ford Expedition you must be a mother of two+, be under 4ft 8inches and purchase the ladder to embark/disembark from.
  6. When driving and the green traffic light turns yellow, accelerate.
  7. You are the best driver and the roads are for you and you alone.
With regards to number 4 on your list - it's the people who merge in way before they get to the roadworks that I get annoyed with - all they're doing is providing space for more cars to get down that other lane and that ultimately causes more of a slowdown.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
If they have a 'Highway code' it needs tearing up and re-doing

They have rules that tell them to sit in the middle lane on 3 lane highways because its safer ... causes more accidents and hold ups than anything.

Pull over to let the emergency vehicle pass YES ! But not when it's travelling the other direction with nothing in its way
I had some twat in front of me who saw an amulance comming the other way, swerved across the front of my truck and stop I had to stand on the brakes to avoid killing the idiot and hung on the air horn, he got out and stared at me, I said "What did you stop for, I almost drove over you?"
"I stopped for the ambulance, it's the law"
"Only if you are impeeding its progress you f**kin idiot ! .... It's 6 lanes away going in the other direction and there are 2 lanes of standing traffic between you and it, do you think the f**kin ambulance is going to suddenly swerve across 6 lanes, jump 2 lines of cars to hit you ?"

"It's the law" he said.

"No ! ... it isn't, you people take everything literal"