Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Go to UK for a trial run after 3 years in USA

Go to UK for a trial run after 3 years in USA

Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all
Default Go to UK for a trial run after 3 years in USA

I have always found british expats to be such a huge help and comfort through my bouts of homesickness throughout my 3 years here in the USA. I haven't written much on here, but have always visited when I've felt homesick and a much needed connection to my fellow brits and UK.

I would like to tell you about my experience after I've been on my trip as it may be of help or not, to anybody who needs some kind of information about how people feel when they go back. I know I have always found other people's posts so interesting upon their return or on their vacation.

Well, I am going to UK at beginning of July, been here 3 years and not been back since xmas 2006. So it's been a while and at the moment, I've got mixed feelings, one day I'm really excited, the next day a little nervous and have butterflies. I think I'm a little nervous about feeling like a fish out of water after being in Florida for so long (well it feels like a lifetime).

Well, we came to our decision last year that we defo want to go back, just a matter of time to save and sell our business. BUT, first is my trial run. We are going back for 1 month (without the rose tinted glasses off), and going to trial it out. My daughter and son are going to spend an afternoon at my Daughter's old School and I am going to just do all things that I did when we lived there and really do alot of soul searching over there to make sure that the next step to go back is totally right for us. Hubby has to stay here to run the business, but he's happy to do whatever I feel is right as he was happy in the UK and just okay here. I think it is the right decision (in my heart and gut), but this trip will hopefully solidify that for us.

I would like to let you all know how it goes and what my thoughts are and what I see and what my perspective is on the UK after being away for 3 years. I know everybody is different, but like i said I've always really appreciated people's comments on here after their trips to UK, so I will do the same.

Well, I am packing and getting all stuff ready only 2 weeks to go......................butterflies and all. I just can't wait to touch down at Manchester and I will know I am home when I smell the cow dung and horse shite from where I live, that's home LOL.

Speak soon.
Byee, Michmel.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Go to UK for a trial run after 3 years in USA

I, for one, will watch and wait to read your posts. I've been here just over 2 years and have recently admitted to myself that I am not fully settled here, and am beginning to doubt if I ever will be.

I'm guessing you're from the North of England, since you mention touching down in Manchester. Me too. So your observations will be interesting.

Thanks for posting this. Have a safe trip.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
I, for one, will watch and wait to read your posts. I've been here just over 2 years and have recently admitted to myself that I am not fully settled here, and am beginning to doubt if I ever will be.

I'm guessing you're from the North of England, since you mention touching down in Manchester. Me too. So your observations will be interesting.

Thanks for posting this. Have a safe trip.

Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I am from near Ormskirk, so full of farmland around where I come from. I am looking forward to getting outta here for a while that's for sure. I'll keep you posted.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Michmel, Looking forward to hearing how it goes. I have lots of family members who live in Penwortham I lived in Chester. I am going back in August to see how I feel and to look for somewhere to settle. But like you I have my 'dithery' moments. But I am looking forward to it. I have been here for nearly 30years and have not been back for over 3 years.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:39 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by michmel
I have always found british expats to be such a huge help and comfort through my bouts of homesickness throughout my 3 years here in the USA. I haven't written much on here, but have always visited when I've felt homesick and a much needed connection to my fellow brits and UK.

I would like to tell you about my experience after I've been on my trip as it may be of help or not, to anybody who needs some kind of information about how people feel when they go back. I know I have always found other people's posts so interesting upon their return or on their vacation.

Well, I am going to UK at beginning of July, been here 3 years and not been back since xmas 2006. So it's been a while and at the moment, I've got mixed feelings, one day I'm really excited, the next day a little nervous and have butterflies. I think I'm a little nervous about feeling like a fish out of water after being in Florida for so long (well it feels like a lifetime).

Well, we came to our decision last year that we defo want to go back, just a matter of time to save and sell our business. BUT, first is my trial run. We are going back for 1 month (without the rose tinted glasses off), and going to trial it out. My daughter and son are going to spend an afternoon at my Daughter's old School and I am going to just do all things that I did when we lived there and really do alot of soul searching over there to make sure that the next step to go back is totally right for us. Hubby has to stay here to run the business, but he's happy to do whatever I feel is right as he was happy in the UK and just okay here. I think it is the right decision (in my heart and gut), but this trip will hopefully solidify that for us.

I would like to let you all know how it goes and what my thoughts are and what I see and what my perspective is on the UK after being away for 3 years. I know everybody is different, but like i said I've always really appreciated people's comments on here after their trips to UK, so I will do the same.

Well, I am packing and getting all stuff ready only 2 weeks to go......................butterflies and all. I just can't wait to touch down at Manchester and I will know I am home when I smell the cow dung and horse shite from where I live, that's home LOL.

Speak soon.
Byee, Michmel.
Hi Michmel - I hope you dont mind me asking but why are you leaving Florida If I told my kids we were moving to Florida they'd be soooooooo excited!!! I know holidays are different but from what I have seen of the Orlando area it seems like such a great place

I suppose everyone loves Orlando after their holiday right?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manningl
I suppose everyone loves Orlando after their holiday right?

Right. Living here ain't no holiday, I can tell ya!
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:48 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
Right. Living here ain't no holiday, I can tell ya!
Hi coopa_troopa

don't stop there.... pls elaborate good and bad
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

It is great in lots of ways. BUT, and there's always a but. Education sucks, it's not great mostly and we had to buy a house in expensive area just to put our kids in an A graded school, which is a good school, but we do worry about High School as most are not good at all, so we'd need to put kids in private at that point. I worry about knives, guns etc and stories I hear about the High Schools here. They are not protected and there's plenty of loonies around. We have bank robberies on a daily basis in Orlando and crime rate has tripled in the past 3 years which is worrying as it's very transient place so god knows which nutters around.

Also, healthcare is a major for us. It's ridiculous and pathetic to have insurance, but have so many things NOT covered, so we never know where we are with it even though we pay $800 a month for it.

Also, we just don't feel settled here. American's (we have some nice friends who are american don't get me wrong), but, they are very different to us brits and it's hard to get along with them for the most part. I have some friends who are american, they are mostly from the northern states, more open minded and educated. The ones from Florida mostly clueless. In business, they mostly lie like hell, so it's hard to trust what comes from their mouths, so make business dealing difficult. The horrible humid heat in July/August/Sept/Oct, gets very tiring although we are getting used to it after 3 years. We just purely miss our old lives and find it rather boring here now. But, we would not consider another state because of the health care issues, they would be the same anywhere here in USA.

The list goes on but there's a few reasons why we want to go back......

byeee,
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:04 pm
Lovin it!

$800 a month!!! Wow!!

Isn't there guns and knives everywhere especially LDN at the moment? I have been over there for weeks in all those months you mention and do remember especially in the mid day sun running into the malls simply cos the sun was so strong at times - but its great having a pool to cool off in right

I'm contemplating Florida after Canada but I haven't begun my research yet as I'm yet to reach Canada...

Thanks for the heads up though
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:15 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

The horrible humid heat in July/August/Sept/Oct, gets very tiring although we are getting used to it after 3 years.
Maybe you'll get used to it . . . but maybe not. After 25 years in the Houston/Galveston area, I'm still not used to it. It's just 'orrible. Don't go outside unless you absolutely have to. And the mosquitoes . . . .
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:17 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manningl
. . . but its great having a pool to cool off in right
You might have a pool, but not everyone does.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:21 pm
Feels great to be home!

Good luck on your trip. We'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 2:29 pm
Lovin it!

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
You might have a pool, but not everyone does.
I thought having a pool in some parts was like having a 2nd car... no big deal

I dont have one but would like one if/when I'm living somewhere with nice summer weather

Can I ask you guys if this was your first move away from where you grew up? Did you all live close to family and friends then 1 day just left?

Hope it all works out well for you
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:00 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I think Florida is a good place to live (some parts of Florida, anyway!) if you really like sun. Some people want as much of it as they can get and are willing to put up with seasons of broiling, humidity, and even hurricanes to get it. I know people like that and they love living in Florida.

Other people, like me for example, like the sun, but hate hot weather and really like greenery. Also don't mind quite a few gray days in winter.

So as always, the key is to know what we really need to enjoy a place year round.

As for people, there are large colonies of Canadian snowbirds in the winter months, English and French speaking, so there are options there.

Bev
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have US citizenship as a back up do you?

That's always the problem, with people who return to the UK, find they can't settle there either and want to return, but then are stuck because of the visa or greencard being dead.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.