Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US/ UK Taxes?

US/ UK Taxes?

Old Feb 10th 2008, 2:40 am
Just Joined

tracy.b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US/ UK Taxes?

Anyone have a suggestion for taxes for first year immigrants? I made some in the UK this last year but don't want to get double taxed. Does anyone have know much about the tax treaty between the US and the UK?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US/ UK Taxes

Originally Posted by tracy.bambury
I made some in the UK this last year but don't want to get double taxed.
The tax treaty prevents double taxation.

Does anyone have know much about the tax treaty between the US and the UK?
I don't know the details, although I'm guessing it's similar to the treaty between the US and Canada. The year I moved to the US, I filed a Canadian return and indicated only my Canadian income from January 1 until the day I left. I also included a note that I would no longer be filing Canadian returns as I was no longer resident. Unlike the US, Canada does not require citizens to continue to file tax reutrns if they have no Canadian income.

If you have a retirement fund, that money has to be reported, but I'm not sure what else is involved. If Rete responds, she'll probably be able to answer this more fully, as I believe her husband draws on his Canadian retirement... so she'll have a better idea of what actually happens. I am not yet eligible to draw on my Canadian retirement although I will be eligible in another couple of years.

On the US side of things, I declared my income for the entire year and included both my Canadian and US earnings. Basically, you include your "foreign" income at the beginning of the return, and subtract it out near the end since it has already been taxed... so, again, you avoid double taxation.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Old Feb 10th 2008, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

tracy.b is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US/ UK Taxes

Thanks- this definitely helps.

~Tracy