Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US / UK Gaming Systems

US / UK Gaming Systems

Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light
Default US / UK Gaming Systems

Hey guys,

I have recently bought a Wii out here in the US - and its well funky. Great gaming system, but I don't have many games for it.

I am going back to the UK this weekend for a short trip and am considering bringing my 'upgraded' UK XBOX (normal one, not 360) as I used to use media centre a lot and I also have a fair few games for it. I am also considering bringing back my UK Gamecube too. I never play it that much, but you cant beat Mario Kart!

Anyway - just wondered if anyone has any idea if I am going to have voltage issues or PAL/NTSC issues? If I am, then i really cant be hassled with bringing them over as I don't really think I'll get much use out of them and I can always buy the US version of Mario Kart and play that on my Wii.

My TV is a US TV so its obviously going to be NTSC, but I am not sure if it will support PAL or not. This is it http://www.elementelectronics.com/pa...s/flx_2610.asp but it doesn't really say anything as far as I can see. Any feedback you might have would be appreciated.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US / UK Gaming Systems

For starters, that's one cool TV. It doesn't say anything about being multisystem compatible so my guess is that its fixed to NTSC.

The PSU on most new gaming consoles will work with 110v/220v. Check out the box that plugs into the mains, it should say. You can buy adapter plugs for the UK plugs to plug into a US socket from amazon:-

http://www.amazon.com/Grounded-Adapt...320257&sr=8-34

With regards to NTSC and PAL, I bought a Multisystem TV from http://www.world-import.com/index.html and it works great with my UK PS2 I bought over here with me.

I had purchased over 100 PS2 games in the UK and I didn't want to buy these again in the USA.

You can also bring over and use small wattage items that are set to 220v with Step Up Transformers from the above site.

HTH
Darren

Last edited by YankeeDaz; Nov 17th 2007 at 4:36 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YankeeDaz
For starters, that's one cool TV. It doesn't say anything about being multisystem compatible so my guess is that its fixed to NTSC.

The PSU on most new gaming consoles will work with 110v/220v. Check out the box that plugs into the mains, it should say. You can buy adapter plugs for the UK plugs to plug into a US socket from amazon:-

http://www.amazon.com/Grounded-Adapt...320257&sr=8-34

With regards to NTSC and PAL, I bought a Multisystem TV from http://www.world-import.com/index.html and it works great with my UK PS2 I bought over here with me.

I had purchased over 100 PS2 games in the UK and I didn't want to buy these again in the USA.

You can also bring over and use small wattage items that are set to 220v with Step Up Transformers from the above site.

HTH
Darren
Thanks Darren, I'll check the transformers when I get back to the UK tomorrow. I actually did a bit of research about the XBOX, and apparently there is a tool you can get to put your XBOX into NTSC mode. Once in that mode you get access to the HD settings Might just have to bring it over and give it a try.

BTW - the TV was a bargain, got it for $400 from Circuit City. Mind, first one had to go back because it broke. Its my first HD TV and i really cant believe how much better quality even the normal digital broadcasts are (NBC, CBS etc). I hardly ever use my cable box because the quality is much better for these channels without it...
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

YankeeDaz is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem.

This is the one I purchased. It's a flat-screen 'CRT' but absolutely brilliant .

http://www.world-import.com/c21-tf330.htm

Darren
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hack it in the UK, because it ain't legal to do that over here, so harder time finding someone to do it if you need help.

tv converter to convert pal to ntsc is a waste of money as a decent digital one would cost a few hundred.

How old is the tele? If it isn't donkies years old, it probably won't be an issue.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Hack it in the UK, because it ain't legal to do that over here, so harder time finding someone to do it if you need help.

tv converter to convert pal to ntsc is a waste of money as a decent digital one would cost a few hundred.

How old is the tele? If it isn't donkies years old, it probably won't be an issue.
TV is brand new... Only a month old...

I'll have a think about it this week.