US or Them

Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:44 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US or Them

Originally Posted by sibsie
I've been thinking about England a lot lately. I've been away three years with only one brief trip back. Much as I like my life over here, I'm really not sure that I want to end my days in America and often think that I would like at some point, to move back. Of course Mr Sibsie has no such ideas which leaves me a bit stuck.

Anyone else ever fancy living back in the UK or are you here til you're pushing up daisies?
I've no plans to go back anytime soon. Living it large over here compared to NI which is just recovering from the 12th "celebrations".
Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:45 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Genius plan. Sadly Mr Sibsie is always one step ahead of me so any skulduggery on my part re moving home would get a swift kick in the califlours. I need a super super genius plan, the likes of which have never previously been seen.
You mean a plan as cunning as a really cunning plan by a fox that's just graduated with honors from Cunning University? Hmm, that's asking a lot....
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:27 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kevntrace
...we still have a house in Plymouth (which is empty)...
I'll take it!!!!

Good to see ya back, btw, hope your trip was a good 'un.

We'd like to move to the UK at some point as Hubs, (top bloke that he is) would love to live over there, having experienced it previously well before I met him but it'll have to wait til I get my citizenship - that's a must!
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:17 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so torn. I miss England more than I can say. I miss the people, the humour, the shops, the culture, the sense of cool, the TV and everything that is England, and of course my Mum and Dad and all my friends and family. On the other hand I know that my partner and I can have a really good lifestyle here and I'm willing to give it a shot. I must say though, that the longer I'm here the more I begin to miss England. I think the best thing would be when I get my citizenship and we can spend part of our time here and part of our time there. I really miss the NHS (and I never thought I'd say that!) and I've been having a hard time lately with the differences but I'll cope. I'm having a very good time here and I know I'm very lucky having complete freedom to work anywhere and anytime I wish. I just went Per Diem and can pick my own schedule and workplace which is what I did in England. I keep fantasising about a little brick house in Hertfordshire with a little back garden, and popping out to Waitrose and Marks and Sparks! Here I am living the life of a Rock Star travelling all over America and I'm dreaming about having a cup of tea on the terrace in Stevanage and having a Marks & Sparks ready meal for dinner. Sad, I know!

In answer to your question, I can absolutely see myself going home eventually. Of course things could change and we could buy an adorable house here and build a lovely life that I wouldn't want to leave, and every day I'm here another brick is laid. Who knows what will happen? I just want to get the most out of my life and be happy with my partner. The rest will fall into place.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:20 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Rockgurl has pretty much summed up exactly how I feel. Well apart from the nursing, rock star thing.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

I'm ready to go home now, but that's today, tomorrow I may feel differently

We've been here two years now and only came for hubby's job. The industry he works in (games) was not doing well in the UK and the jobs were becoming more and more unstable and companies were crashing out regularly.

With four children we needed him to have a job somewhere a bit more financially secure and the company he works for fits that bill.

If I won the lottery I'd be out of here pronto, I miss so much from home, family and friends obviously, but also the quality of the news, the fashion, the music, the lack of bible bashers (I am in Texas after all) the food and most of all the attitudes of the people.

We have a happy life here and I've enjoyed the adventure but I am ready for it to end now, just need something like a lottery win to buy a house back home
Old Jul 15th 2005, 3:41 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
We have a happy life here and I've enjoyed the adventure but I am ready for it to end now, just need something like a lottery win to buy a house back home
I'll be buying my first ticket today
Old Jul 15th 2005, 4:23 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be buying my first ticket today
I'll have a lucky dip please

I think RockGurl's post was ace, I feel the same way. I keep dreaming about living in a Vicar of Dibley style village in a lovely old cottage eating Delia Smith recipe food curled up watching the Sunday omnibus of Eastenders with a copy of The Observer and listening to Radio 4.
Currently I'm living in the biggest apartment I've ever lived in, driving the nicest car I've ever driven, and am currently experiencing 90F heat on a daily basis, which is all lovely but I'm starting to think about Quality of Life rather than quantity of stuff I can buy.
I'm shit scared of getting ill and having to go to the Doc's and as for working 9 hours a day 5 days a week with 2 weeks off a year? Think I'd rather have a smaller car and smaller living room and get more days off and not have to worry about needing to go to the Doc's.

The 1 million quid test is pretty telling as I know if I did win the lotto I'd probably buy myself a nice pad in near London.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the mood of the nation changes significantly after Bush goes. One of my biggest gripes about America is that its so damn uptight about everything. I've never met a people so afraid of their own shadow, I think because they're number one in the world they're frightened that someone is constantly trying to take everything away from them. Whereas I think other European countries know that they're NOT number one in the world and have accepted it and just chilled out.

Gonna be here for at least the next 5+ years cause my hubs is half way thru his degree then he has his masters but can't help thinking if my husband (the USC) and I decide to start a family (not for a while yet, contraception willing) that I'll wanna be near my mum and that'll push me to move home.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:20 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sarah

I think RockGurl's post was ace, I feel the same way. I keep dreaming about living in a Vicar of Dibley style village in a lovely old cottage eating Delia Smith recipe food curled up watching the Sunday omnibus of Eastenders with a copy of The Observer and listening to Radio 4.
Currently I'm living in the biggest apartment I've ever lived in, driving the nicest car I've ever driven, and am currently experiencing 90F heat on a daily basis, which is all lovely but I'm starting to think about Quality of Life rather than quantity of stuff I can buy.
I'm shit scared of getting ill and having to go to the Doc's and as for working 9 hours a day 5 days a week with 2 weeks off a year? Think I'd rather have a smaller car and smaller living room and get more days off and not have to worry about needing to go to the Doc's.

The 1 million quid test is pretty telling as I know if I did win the lotto I'd probably buy myself a nice pad in near London.

I think it'll be interesting to see if the mood of the nation changes significantly after Bush goes. One of my biggest gripes about America is that its so damn uptight about everything. I've never met a people so afraid of their own shadow, I think because they're number one in the world they're frightened that someone is constantly trying to take everything away from them. Whereas I think other European countries know that they're NOT number one in the world and have accepted it and just chilled out.

Gonna be here for at least the next 5+ years cause my hubs is half way thru his degree then he has his masters but can't help thinking if my husband (the USC) and I decide to start a family (not for a while yet, contraception willing) that I'll wanna be near my mum and that'll push me to move home.
We had a baby just over three months ago. It's really expensive even with insurance and the bills keep coming in. We don't know where we're up as none of the doctors provide one bill for all their services and at the moment we're paying nothing until we know exactly what each one is for.

One of the biggest thoughts that keeps crossing my mind is my son growing up as an American, at three months old I can't imagine him with an American accent, not knowing about the joys of proper football and far off into the future not being able to go to the local for a pint with him. I don't want him to go through the stressful working environment you're describing and that I'm going through at the moment. Most of all I want him to have a European perspective and understand there is more to life than material possessions when he 's older, though hopefully that won't be too much of a problem as neither my wife or myself are like that.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sarah

Well said.........i have been here 20 years and things have gone from being very progresive(how many gay people did you know growing up in the UK) to theres a fag under your bed and a terrorist in your closet!!!
being #1!!!!....they think they are #1 but honestly i want to live in a country that
1 cellphones work decently
2 cars do more than 10mpg (the new smaller H3) ahahah
3doesnt think it a big deal to have a women president (hell india had one)
4 doesnt have 50 mill with no healthcare
5 have the highest incarceration rate in the world

i could go on and on about how backwoods this country is
unfortuanately the uk has become very americanised so me im going to northern ireland!!!!!! bloody lovely!!!! farm fresh foods, no rush lovely people

get out while you can!!!! :scared: get out now before the jesus freaks getya!!

it getting like southern ireland used to be

Last edited by garfro; Jul 15th 2005 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:04 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by garfro
Well said.........i have been here 20 years and things have gone from being very progresive(how many gay people did you know growing up in the UK) to theres a fag under your bed and a terrorist in your closet!!!
being #1!!!!....they think they are #1 but honestly i want to live in a country that
1 cellphones work decently
2 cars do more than 10mpg (the new smaller H3) ahahah
3doesnt think it a big deal to have a women president (hell india had one)
4 doesnt have 50 mill with no healthcare
5 have the highest incarceration rate in the world

i could go on and on about how backwoods this country is
unfortuanately the uk has become very americanised so me im going to northern ireland!!!!!! bloody lovely!!!! farm fresh foods, no rush lovely people

get out while you can!!!! :scared: get out now before the jesus freaks getya!!

it getting like southern ireland used to be

While I can concur with you, I need to point out NI is part of the UK. Pedantic I know but there you go.

Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ImHere
While I can concur with you, I need to point out NI is part of the UK. Pedantic I know but there you go.
Yeah I know but it feels like it hasnt been corrupted yet at least not in the capitalist sense of corruption,
it feels like england dod when i was growing up!!
G
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:24 pm
C.G.D.S

I've just come back from the laundrette, or whatever they call it over here.

Anyway there was this old guy in there. He was in his 80's and originally from Kent. We got chatting and he said he'd been here 45 years. He said he hates it. He said every single day he hates it a little more but has left it so long he can't go home now. He told me to go back while I still had the chance so that life didn't slip away and to make sure I didn't end up like him, full of regrets.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:26 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by garfro
Yeah I know but it feels like it hasnt been corrupted yet at least not in the capitalist sense of corruption,
it feels like england dod when i was growing up!!
G

A bit like spain in some ways. Where my parents live is just like the small village I grew up in in Norfolk (but sunny). Same easy going ways, same kind of friendliness. Thats one main reason we want to go back there to live at some point.

Old Jul 15th 2005, 6:26 pm
ImHere

I've just come back from the laundrette, or whatever they call it over here.

Anyway there was this old guy in there. He was in his 80's and originally from Kent. We got chatting and he said he'd been here 45 years. He said he hates it. He said every single day he hates it a little more but has left it so long he can't go home now. He told me to go back while I still had the chance so that life didn't slip away and to make sure I didn't end up like him, full of regrets.

That makes me kinda sad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.