Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Tax returns - help needed!

US Tax returns - help needed!

Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

AnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default US Tax returns - help needed!

So as I said in my last post my husband who is American and me are applying (or getting ready to) for our I-130 and everything else that goes with that so that we can move back to America to live. So in reading everything we had to do came across the fact that you have to present your american tax returns which we did not realise he needed to be filing while he was here...eeek! So I have looked on the wiki which is extremely helpful but just wanted to check the forms we need to fill in.

This is what I have for definite according to the wiki page we need

1040 - individual tax return
2555 - Foreign earned income

I also read but that wasn't mentioned in the wiki about filing

1116 - foreign tax credit
8938 - statement of foreign financial assets

I just want to be sure we are filing all the correct forms. has anyone else been in this situation? Also does anyone know if we are going to get fined.
Also I am not entirely sure what we have to do regarding state tax?

Sorry I know a lot of questions! But it is so confusing when you are english and get it all sorted for you automatically! :P

Thank you for your help! This website has been such a godsend
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Tax returns - help needed!

He should contact the IRS Department at the US consulate in London. They have an IRS Department specifically to help USC's in the UK file US tax returns. I have heard they are really very helpful

Rene
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnnieBelle
I am not entirely sure what we have to do regarding state tax?
You probably don't have to worry about state tax - that is based entirely on residency... and if he hasn't been resident in the state, he has no state liability.

Ian
Old Aug 6th 2012, 2:53 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

+1

He could also use the IRS web site, but US taxes are incredibly complicated so if the IRS office in London cannot provide sufficiend assistance he should talk with a US tax accountant or tax lawyer.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Noorah101
He should contact the IRS Department at the US consulate in London. They have an IRS Department specifically to help USC's in the UK file US tax returns. I have heard they are really very helpful

Rene
Old Aug 9th 2012, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

AnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond reputeAnnieBelle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. My husband called the tax office at the embassy and he had to literally let the phone ring for a solid hour and a half before someone picked up! and there is no queueing message or anything! The guy on the end said he was in the naughty book :P

He was nice though and just said we need to file a 1040 attached to a 2555ez for each tax year. Sounds easier enough but I bet it isn't!!