Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by Elvira
It seems to me that you need counselling as a matter of urgency.
Having read a lot of your posts here, I take this recommendation sincerely. I'm looking for counselling, just want to find the right person (in NC).
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Look dear. Why don't you and hubby set a definitive date by which you would like to return?

Why not say - we're going for 2 or 3 years, make some moolah, and then return to the UK, or move onto a Latin American posting for a couple more years. If you do it that way, you'll at least have a date to look forward to returning, and it won't seem that overwhelming. Before you know it, time has passed and you'll be on your way back to the mud island.

It is what I tell the dingo people.
There may be SOME merit to that idea...but...it actually encourages someone to not take the opportunity to know their new home well enough. After all, "why bother, we're leaving soon anyway." I prefer the "this is now my home" attitude, and find ways to make the most of it.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
There may be SOME merit to that idea...but...it actually encourages someone to not take the opportunity to know their new home well enough. After all, "why bother, we're leaving soon anyway." I prefer the "this is now my home" attitude, and find ways to make the most of it.
I agree. Having a return date does kind of prevent you from going native. You don't get as involved in the kids school, or social groups, etc, knowing that you are going to return relatively soon.

In this case, however, I think it might be something to consider. The OP seems very dug in in her beliefs and I don't really think the expat lifestyle is one that she would enjoy. It's rough enough on those who actually look forward to experiencing new cultures and lifestyles.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by dakota44
We have to remember that the OP is a USC who spent 30+ years of her life here so she knows what it is about, plus, they are planning on returning to the UK.

It isn't like someone who has never lived here and is moving here on a permanent basis.

Having a date in mind to look forward to, will actually help in that they will relax and enjoy the time they have here, knowing that it isn't going to be forever.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
Tiny college (Keble College) at Oxford. Medieval and Renaissance Literature was my focus.
superb...use to play a lot of footie out in the park just outside
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see what the problem is with your child making the Pledge at school. My daughter was 11 when we came here...a UK citizen. She went into middle school and just joined in with whatever the other children did. I didn't think twice about the pledge...why would I want her to be different to the other children? Maybe you are looking for excuses not to move to the US...I don't mean that in a nasty way.

I agree with what a lot of others have said...making the move to another country when you are in such a negative state of mind is not a good idea. It is a huge emotional upheaval when you in a positive state of mind. Surely your husband can see how such a move will affect you. I do hope you can reach a decision you are happy with. Good luck.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

We have to remember that the OP is a USC who spent 30+ years of her life here so she knows what it is about, plus, they are planning on returning to the UK.

It isn't like someone who has never lived here and is moving here on a permanent basis.

Having a date in mind to look forward to, will actually help in that they will relax and enjoy the time they have here, knowing that it isn't going to be forever.
Good point...but I think she might be worrying a tad too much. It is a traumatic move, no doubt, but a little less stress might be a good idea. In any event...I wish her well and hope it proves to be better than she fears.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We had a 12/24 month date in mind when we came here 11 years ago.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:03 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We had a 12/24 month date in mind when we came here 11 years ago.
We thought we would only be here for maybe 3 years.....that was in 1996!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
We thought we would only be here for maybe 3 years.....that was in 1996!
That's the problem...you just sort of get sucked into it.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
...why would I want her to be different to the other children? Maybe you are looking for excuses not to move to the US...I don't mean that in a nasty way.
No, I think I hear you in the way you mean it. I would hope that I would not let my bias against the U.S. pledge translate into an excuse not to move to the States. Certainly there are much better reasons to avoid the U.S.!

I attended private (Christian) school when I grew up in the States until high school, so I never recited the pledge. When the 'hand over heart' stuff happened at baseball games or whatever, I didn't participate. I felt like boycotting it, to be honest. As inconsequential as that sort of protest is. Yes, I had a bad attitude before I moved to England. And my 'being negative' seemed to arouse great fear in my immediate family. One is nothing if not 'positive' in America!

I digress.

Some of the benefits to me in living in the U.S.:

hyper convenience - from the big fridge which can hold a month's meals, to the trolley without four moving wheels, to the lightening speed washer and dryer...

more stuff (due to larger salary, lower cost of living, great tax breaks and our GBP brought over in a fab exchange rate)

home ownership (though I do not want this to be used against me i.e. 'we'll have to sell at a loss!' come time to move on)

moving to an area of U.S. filled with transplants (some calling it 'Little New Jersey' and whatnot)

That's all I can think of at the mo.

I will have a think about cultivating a more curious, anticipatory attitude, based on this thread. I don't want to bring on more suffering for me. And I have a brave face I must put on to keep the children from freaking out.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:21 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for any advice on dealing with schools and Pledge. I'm overwhelmed by the choice of schooling in the US, it wasn't like this when I went to school. Magnet, Charter, public, private, IB, language immersion, and at least 10 elementary schools per district to research. Here in England, we just go to the school up the road and thankfully, it is fantastic. Nothing like a walk to school and loving everything about it.
If you want good schools don't live in the Charlotte/Mecklenburg school district. The schools are bursting at the seams and there is not enough funding. Try the Fort Mill/York County schools in SC. Only a few miles from Charlotte and by all accounts they have the best school system in SC. Plus the property taxes are much cheaper there.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, I think I hear you in the way you mean it. I would hope that I would not let my bias against the U.S. pledge translate into an excuse not to move to the States. Certainly there are much better reasons to avoid the U.S.!

I attended private (Christian) school when I grew up in the States until high school, so I never recited the pledge. When the 'hand over heart' stuff happened at baseball games or whatever, I didn't participate. I felt like boycotting it, to be honest. As inconsequential as that sort of protest is. Yes, I had a bad attitude before I moved to England. And my 'being negative' seemed to arouse great fear in my immediate family. One is nothing if not 'positive' in America!

I digress.

Some of the benefits to me in living in the U.S.:

hyper convenience - from the big fridge which can hold a month's meals, to the trolley without four moving wheels, to the lightening speed washer and dryer...

more stuff (due to larger salary, lower cost of living, great tax breaks and our GBP brought over in a fab exchange rate)

home ownership (though I do not want this to be used against me i.e. 'we'll have to sell at a loss!' come time to move on)

moving to an area of U.S. filled with transplants (some calling it 'Little New Jersey' and whatnot)

That's all I can think of at the mo.

I will have a think about cultivating a more curious, anticipatory attitude, based on this thread. I don't want to bring on more suffering for me. And I have a brave face I must put on to keep the children from freaking out.
My daughter went to private school...middle school then high school...but said the Pledge every day.

To be honest I don't think any of the 'positives' you've listed are reasons to move Stateside.

I put a very positive spin on moving to my daughter...I thought it was the right thing to do to help her settle in quicker and easier...it worked.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm USC, DH is Brit and we're currently living in the SouthEast (of England). We are moving to Charlotte, NC in a month.

I am very unhappy about moving (lived in UK for five years). I adore England culturally. I know I romanticise England but I don't care. I love living here. Too many reasons to mention, plus you all know why it's grand here.

Okay, back to my question. I'm very upset about putting my kids (eldest is 5) into school. Reception has been fab for him. I'm a product of US education and I look at my peers in England and am quite confident my US education was crap. I sensed this a decade ago when I studied abroad (Oxford) and felt like my US uni had failed me miserably...I knew nothing of the subject I was studying in the exchange programme. It was very embarrassing and I ended up travelling Europe to avoid my tutors.

Is the Pledge something kids absolutely have to do in school in the States? I do not want to opt out my kids if that will make them the local freak. They will have enough to deal with in adjusting (they all sound completely English, they know nothing of American terms for things, etc). But this pledging, it really bothers me.

I'm also seeing that quite a few school districts in NC (and SC, for that matter, since so many live in SC but work in Charlotte) allow paddling of students. Does anyone have experience with your kids in such a district? Did you sign a waiver or ??

Between NASCAR, 'City of Churches' (Charlotte), Billy Graham Parkway, and the suburban soccer mom nightmare that seems to be Charlotte and
surrounding counties, I'm not feeling very confident in my mental health post relocation. DH can make twice what he can make in the UK, and with tax deduction likes mortage interest and self employment stuff, we can keep more (saving for retirement). These are things I cannot change about England, as much as I wish I could. But I will miss the UK terribly, horribly, desperately.

Thanks for any advice on dealing with schools and Pledge. I'm overwhelmed by the choice of schooling in the US, it wasn't like this when I went to school. Magnet, Charter, public, private, IB, language immersion, and at least 10 elementary schools per district to research. Here in England, we just go to the school up the road and thankfully, it is fantastic. Nothing like a walk to school and loving everything about it.
I too lived in England for over 5 years before my British husband, our daughter and I moved back to the States 3 years ago. I missed (and still do) England tremendously. Funny my husband doesn't miss it as much and has no problem being here in the slightest. We live near Seattle, so a bit more liberal (I believe) than North Carolina.

Our daughter is 5 and just started kindergarden this year. I was a bit worried about the pledge as well. But, she really wants to fit in with her friends and at this tender age is still learning about friends. To make her stand out for something I don't like, probably wouldn't be fair to her, so we didn't make an issue of it. I do know that when I'm in a situation where I have to say the pledge I certainly don't feel as patriotic as I used to......

Hope all goes well with your move.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you become a naturalized Brit before moving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.