Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US schools and the Pledge

US schools and the Pledge

Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US schools and the Pledge

Originally Posted by DollyLlama
What D said!
I wish it were that easy...
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:28 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
and undermine their morals.
Yep -- that was my reason for coming, too.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Wow, I just wrote out a long winded post. I should have waited until I saw this and just said "I TOTALLY AGREE".
I do think I'm well and truly ****ed. Each day the relo is closer, the more sick I feel.

I have thought of repatriate therapy, dunno if this exists. Probably wouldn't help anyway.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dakota44
My two cents. If you truly believe that you will hate the U.S. .... stay where you are. I'm American, living in Canada and moving back to the U.S. later this year. I have one point of view about people moving to other countries. Do as I did in Canada. Accept it with it's perceived flaws and live as if you belong. If you can't do that...then you don't deserve the right to live there. Someone can always find flaws in another country. Not hard to do. But simple fact..no country is perfect and, frankly, it is what you are willing to make of it.
Believe me, I am greedy for any cliche, cross-stitchable advice right now.

But somehow, the 'life is what you make it', every place has pros and cons', 'find just a few things you love', don't compare', etc, it doesn't ease my pain right now.

Though it may in time, so I still appreciate your advice. I have bigger philsophical questions like, 'if it's all about state of mind and attitude, why bother having a preference for where to live? Why bother really enjoying a particular culture if it's simply a matter of changing one's attitude? Should one have dreams and desires if this means pain when one cannot live them?'
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:39 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldcrown
I have thought of repatriate therapy, dunno if this exists. Probably wouldn't help anyway.
Actually, this messageboard serves as therapy for some. A chance to vent.

And you should actually check out the US expats in the UK. Not because you want to meet them, but because you'll see many of them having the exact same problems as UK expats in the US. It might actually help you see some of the common pitfalls in being an expat regardless of your nationality.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?board=6.0
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:39 pm
Greatly Missed. RIP

DollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond reputeDollyLlama has a reputation beyond repute

I do think I'm well and truly ****ed. Each day the relo is closer, the more sick I feel.

I do think that if you are moving to any Country you should try and have a positive attitude.
If you are feeling like this now what will you be like when you move?

We have lived in a few Countries and have always tried to be positive about living in them.
Change is hard, but sometimes it can be a learning experience.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

...I have bigger philsophical questions like, 'if it's all about state of mind and attitude, why bother having a preference for where to live? Why bother really enjoying a particular culture if it's simply a matter of changing one's attitude? Should one have dreams and desires if this means pain when one cannot live them?'
What you said...

(And no, I don't know the answers either.)
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

.. I sensed this a decade ago when I studied abroad (Oxford) and felt like my US uni had failed me miserably....
where bouts? Quite a few folks are from the Oxfordshire area, so always curious
Old Apr 5th 2007, 7:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, I am greedy for any cliche, cross-stitchable advice right now.

But somehow, the 'life is what you make it', every place has pros and cons', 'find just a few things you love', don't compare', etc, it doesn't ease my pain right now.

Though it may in time, so I still appreciate your advice. I have bigger philsophical questions like, 'if it's all about state of mind and attitude, why bother having a preference for where to live? Why bother really enjoying a particular culture if it's simply a matter of changing one's attitude? Should one have dreams and desires if this means pain when one cannot live them?'
Belive me, I know it isn't easy. But approaching it with a completely negative attitude won't help. If you cannot consider the possibility of adjusting, the possibility of finding others who share your culture, the possibility of discovering something of value....you set yourself up for failure without question.

Consider this..you could likely move from one neighborhood in London to another, or one geographic area of the country to another that is so out of sorts with what you are accustomed to..that you would be just as much a fish out of water.

I was totally prepared, and more than wanting, to move to Peru...until I decided that my Peruvian stepdaughters would have a better future in the U.S. I was prepared to deal with the reality that the culture, the economy, the legal system, the politics, the corruption, the poverty...and the list goes on...are so opposite of what I am used to. And I would have gladly adjusted to my new surroundings. Would I have had occasional homesickness? No doubt. But I would have relished the opportunity.

That said...I know that the U.S. can have it's downside...but there is a lot of goodness there if you look past the negative aspects you seem to dwell on.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nethead
My daughter started in 5th grade when we first moved here she is not a USC only a permanent resident like myself. We told her she didn't have to take the pledge if she didn't want to, but she wanted to recite along with her classmates, I think she just didn't want to feel left out. If she didn't want to recite it she would have had to give her homeroom teacher as well as her principal an explanation as to why, I think that is true of any child in the class not wanting to say it.

My husband felt the same way about the UK as you do, and he lived there 4 years before coming back to the US. I can tell you we both regret that decision, but financially we can't afford to move back. At least not for quite a few years. So if you know you will be happier in the UK don't move.
Even a Kindergartener would have to give an explanation?

Sorry all for complicating my question about the Pledge with the rest of my issues.

I am torn between what I've been doing for the last six months (refusing to get on the airplane, crying, pleading, pretending it will go away, trying to make the best of it, more crying and pleading, more threats to stay on with the children, tons of articles shown to DH about what a shite state the U.S. is in) and letting this mistake reveal itself upon living in NC for a time.

If I have a mental breakdown, it can be said that I was in control of my mental state and being a mother, should not have gone into depression and despair. Should have 'made the best of it'.

But then, I feel accountable to warn DH that I feel this is a mistake and I am truly worried about my mental health living in a place that is so radically different from the qualities I enjoy in England.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:05 pm
Homebody

Even a Kindergartener would have to give an explanation?

Sorry all for complicating my question about the Pledge with the rest of my issues.

I am torn between what I've been doing for the last six months (refusing to get on the airplane, crying, pleading, pretending it will go away, trying to make the best of it, more crying and pleading, more threats to stay on with the children, tons of articles shown to DH about what a shite state the U.S. is in) and letting this mistake reveal itself upon living in NC for a time.

If I have a mental breakdown, it can be said that I was in control of my mental state and being a mother, should not have gone into depression and despair. Should have 'made the best of it'.

But then, I feel accountable to warn DH that I feel this is a mistake and I am truly worried about my mental health living in a place that is so radically different from the qualities I enjoy in England.
It seems to me that you need counselling as a matter of urgency.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Consider this..you could likely move from one neighborhood in London to another, or one geographic area of the country to another that is so out of sorts with what you are accustomed to..that you would be just as much a fish out of water.
Totally agree. But how does one incorporate hypotheticals into day to day life? Fact is, I love where we are now, love the schools for the kids, friends, etc. I don't live in the areas of England which I wouldn't (hypothetically) enjoy.

Where does that leave me?

If, at 37, I know myself well enough to be drawn to specific cultural environments (certainly not limited to England, by any means), and I am going to a place opposite of those environments, can it not be reasonably likely I will struggle?

I get the whole 'when you say, I can or I cannot, you're right' philosophy. If I expect to hate it, then I will fulfill that expectation possibly. Or maybe it will surprise me how much I love it. I am willing to be surprised!
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:06 pm

Lycanthrop is an unknown quantity at this point

...but there is a lot of goodness there if you look past the negative aspects you seem to dwell on.
True.......often though, the woods cannot be seen for the trees, especially when you are emotionally charged. It takes the opinions and directions of others to make that fact clear. Coming over with a heartfull of negativity, or allowing one to grow may well cause the individual to shun contact with people and this will just make it more bitter.

Its very true that frame of mind and perception can make thinks much better.........America has a lot of good in it as you say, but with blinkers on, how can you possibly even see that good?
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
where bouts? Quite a few folks are from the Oxfordshire area, so always curious
Tiny college (Keble College) at Oxford. Medieval and Renaissance Literature was my focus.
Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Look dear. Why don't you and hubby set a definitive date by which you would like to return?

Why not say - we're going for 2 or 3 years, make some moolah, and then return to the UK, or move onto a Latin American posting for a couple more years. If you do it that way, you'll at least have a date to look forward to returning, and it won't seem that overwhelming. Before you know it, time has passed and you'll be on your way back to the mud island.

It is what I tell the dingo people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.