Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Phone Scams

US Phone Scams

Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:02 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation US Phone Scams

I got my phone bill this month only to find a strange charge on it for $16.00. I called my provider and they said that it was a charge that was nothing to do with them. They did point out that there should be a number next to the charge so that I could call the company that it belonged to.

So, I call these guys and demanded to know what the charge was for. They claimed I had ordered a phone card online and this was what the charge was for. After telling them it was a load of BS (I use One Suite, I wouldn't use a phone card), and threatening legal action for billing me with something I didn't order, I finally was given a credit code.

I called back my phone company, gave them the code and had the charge refunded.

If you see any strange charges on your phone, query it. It maybe somebody scamming you and if you ignore it, they'll get away it.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:36 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Phone Scams

Another thing to think about is how they got your credit card number...fraud or just an indavertent mistake on their part? Things like that always give me the creeps.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
Another thing to think about is how they got your credit card number...fraud or just an indavertent mistake on their part? Things like that always give me the creeps.

by phone they don't need your credit card number.. they add it to your bill.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 5:47 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
by phone they don't need your credit card number.. they add it to your bill.
Oops for some reason that did not register in my mind

A phone company once tried to scam me into making them my long distance. It was one of those 10-10 numbers which I'd used a few times, they called and asked if I wanted to make it so I didn't have to dial 10-10 etc. anymore for my long distance. I said no of course.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:52 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by jcapulet
Oops for some reason that did not register in my mind

A phone company once tried to scam me into making them my long distance. It was one of those 10-10 numbers which I'd used a few times, they called and asked if I wanted to make it so I didn't have to dial 10-10 etc. anymore for my long distance. I said no of course.
When I moved to the USA and before getting the telly I used to listen to NPR a lot. I think it was NPR or one of their affiliates that ran a piece about scam long distance telephone companies. One scam was quite funny. A long distance telephone company registered several names like "any dam long distance company will do", "don't know", "what do you think" etc. So if you got asked by the operator which long distance outfit you wanted and replied something like, "don't know" ... you got the "don't know" long distance company *LOL* And a "what the hell is that charge" on your phone bill for selecting them! *boom boom*

Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Someone changed my long distance provider twice by going into a Sprint shop and giving them my address and telephone number, they then got some kind of phone card which was linked to my phone bill.

SBC were helpful and took care of everything for me, I got a full refund but I had to change my phone number as a precaution, plus I now have 'slamming' protection.

-tom
Old Jan 11th 2005, 3:17 pm
jingling

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
you got the "don't know" long distance company *LOL* And a "what the hell is that charge" on your phone bill for selecting them! *boom boom*
:scared: That is the strangest scam I've heard of regarding long distance!
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I got my phone bill this month only to find a strange charge on it for $16.00. I called my provider and they said that it was a charge that was nothing to do with them. They did point out that there should be a number next to the charge so that I could call the company that it belonged to.

So, I call these guys and demanded to know what the charge was for. They claimed I had ordered a phone card online and this was what the charge was for. After telling them it was a load of BS (I use One Suite, I wouldn't use a phone card), and threatening legal action for billing me with something I didn't order, I finally was given a credit code.

I called back my phone company, gave them the code and had the charge refunded.

If you see any strange charges on your phone, query it. It maybe somebody scamming you and if you ignore it, they'll get away it.
Must be the season for phone scams- got my phone bill today and there were two charges on there totalling $19, from two different companies, which don't belong to me. There are phone numbers alongside, so I'll call tomorrow and do battle
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:15 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

My father in London had something similar happen but it was for around 100 pounds.

If anyone's interested in a long distance service, I use AT&T. It's $24 a month for unlimited day and night calling to the UK. It's saved me literally hundreds.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:18 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
My father in London had something similar happen but it was for around 100 pounds.

If anyone's interested in a long distance service, I use AT&T. It's $24 a month for unlimited day and night calling to the UK. It's saved me literally hundreds.
I use One Suite which works like a Pay As You Go deal. I just top up with $10 when I need to and it gives me around 300 minutes to use for calling the UK.

When I run low, I just top up again. No monthly charges.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:36 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I'll take a look at One Suite. Sounds like a deal and I need a calling plan for Spain to keep in touch with my big sis. Is it a calling card or one of those number prefix thingies?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
I use One Suite which works like a Pay As You Go deal. I just top up with $10 when I need to and it gives me around 300 minutes to use for calling the UK.

When I run low, I just top up again. No monthly charges.
Sounds like you may get a better deal from Masterbell, you can top up online etc.. it's just a regular pin system.

-tom