Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Passport Renewal with UK Visa

US Passport Renewal with UK Visa

Old Jan 12th 2005, 9:24 am
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road
Default US Passport Renewal with UK Visa

Hi all, I am currently residing in London and hold a US passport which needs to be renewed by June. I hold a visa for indefinite leave to remain (in UK) in that passport.

Question is, when my new passport is issued and the previous one is cancelled will that invalidate my indefinite leave to remain or may I simply carry my old passport with me to show this whenever I visit the UK? The reason I ask is because I've contacted the US Embassy and got conflicting answers one confirming and one saying no.

I understand that other countries employ this policy:
Visas in expired or cancelled passports are considered valid as long as the visa itself has not expired or been cancelled, or damaged. The traveler should present both his/her valid passport and the cancelled/expired passport bearing the valid visa to the Immigration Officer at the U.S. port of entry. The passports do not have to be bound together. Any traveler wishing to have a valid visa in a new passport, must submit and new application and pay the required fee(s).

If not, is there is any alternative whatsoever to having the stamp inserted into my new passport, I'd like to do that as the Home Office is charging *wait for it* £155 ($292USD)?
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: US Passport Renewal with UK Visa

Originally Posted by Lilywolf
Hi all, I am currently residing in London and hold a US passport which needs to be renewed by June. I hold a visa for indefinite leave to remain (in UK) in that passport.

Question is, when my new passport is issued and the previous one is cancelled will that invalidate my indefinite leave to remain or may I simply carry my old passport with me to show this whenever I visit the UK? The reason I ask is because I've contacted the US Embassy and got conflicting answers one confirming and one saying no.

I understand that other countries employ this policy:
Visas in expired or cancelled passports are considered valid as long as the visa itself has not expired or been cancelled, or damaged. The traveler should present both his/her valid passport and the cancelled/expired passport bearing the valid visa to the Immigration Officer at the U.S. port of entry. The passports do not have to be bound together. Any traveler wishing to have a valid visa in a new passport, must submit and new application and pay the required fee(s).

If not, is there is any alternative whatsoever to having the stamp inserted into my new passport, I'd like to do that as the Home Office is charging *wait for it* £155 ($292USD)?
I doubt that most of us on this board would be able to advise you as being (mainly) Brits posting on this site we would never have had dealings with the Home Office to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain!

However, there is a website for American expats living in the UK and I'm sure that someone there will know the answer to your question:

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

(I think you can only go to the General Chat forum unless you register and pay a small fee to keep the site up and running).

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Lilywolf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: US Passport Renewal with UK Visa

Hi Englishmum

Thanks very much for that info , I will post this there as well. Mainly I just want to make sure that once my passport is renewed the visa in the old passport is still valid for working/living in the UK for the next few months. After that I don't intend on returning to the UK unless it's for visiting my husband's family and friends so the visa will no longer be necessary.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 2:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Passport Renewal with UK Visa

'Nother site for you to try:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php