Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is US Middle Class similar to UK Middle Class ?

Is US Middle Class similar to UK Middle Class ?

Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:33 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is US Middle Class similar to UK Middle Class ?

Originally Posted by Anian
I think you misunderstood me. In the US there is only poor, rich, and middle class; as opposed to the UK which is working class, middle class, and upper class.

Americans pride themselves on having created a "classless society" but what they really mean is that they renamed the classes and based it purely on money. I expect that in in the older parts of the USA there are people who think of themselves as aristocracy (inherited fortunes, ideas on what is proper) but I don't think anyone else sees them that way.
The interesting questions are when and how did the new definitions develop. It is part of the political mythology, that helps people in America to accept the status quo; but to its actual origins, I have no knowledge.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The interesting questions are when and how did the new definitions develop. It is part of the political mythology, that helps people in America to accept the status quo; but to its actual origins, I have no knowledge.
I was looking through an old issue of The New Yorker the other day, from the mid-1920s. Then, like now, the advertising in The New Yorker is blatantly aimed at very wealthy & privileged people. There was a full page ad promoting a new building in Manhattan where you could rent a luxury apartment.. the headline was something like "Only the right sort of people will live here.." or words to that effect. I'm assuming it meant no Jews need apply. At other times and places, no blacks; no Native Americans; no Italians; no Germans; no Chinese, etc. I think part of the reason for the "classless" nature of America is that there is always some group to be excluded so those of us invited to the table feel a certain equality..
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Interesting. I tentatively hold the Marxist view of class. My parents were unskilled workers although my father was in the army for years and ended up as a Warrant Officer. However I have a degree and a professional qualification but still consider myself (aspirational) working class in the UK. My husband is upper middle class and I think if myself as middle class in the USA. Part of the reason I think of myself as English working class is my accent. Not only is it far from plummy it is northern. I can't think of anyone in the UK with a regional accent who would be considered upper middle class. Is accent relevant here too?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/collecti...gs4vy#p00hhrwl

There does not seem an embed option but this sums it up.