Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

rental breakdown cover

rental breakdown cover

Old Feb 17th 2012, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough
Default rental breakdown cover

when renting a car this year i was asked if i wanted breakdown cover with my rental car, i said the cars new and shouldn't need breakdown cover.

Now to me this just seems another money maker, we ended up taking it, was about $5ish a day,don't remember exactly.

If i didn't take it and broke down is it really up to me to get it back to a rental company or get it fixed to get it back to the rental company.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rental breakdown cover

Sorry ... I thought you were referring to leasing a car ... duh!

Last edited by Rete; Feb 17th 2012 at 6:37 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize it wasn't included? There has always been a number to call for breakdowns with the paperwork when I've hired a car.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

it was dollar this year and they really laid it on thick saying we really need it.
i never heard of this before, i thought you breakdown and someone comes out to you in a new car. whats the point in hiring a car?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the company.

They sometimes don't offer it on the budget offerings as folks usually have it already.

It is a little odd that it isn't included though :/
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tipex View Post
it was dollar this year and they really laid it on thick saying we really need it.
i never heard of this before, i thought you breakdown and someone comes out to you in a new car. whats the point in hiring a car?
Say no more, Dollar is renowned for this! I made the mistake of hiring from them last October...never again! I even had to pay extra for the 2 days of the month that my husband was here to use it!!! I usually rent from Budget as it includes a spouse and full breakdown cover, can usually get a free upgrade, their cars are always virtually brand new and they actually clean them properly...rented from them 10+ times, although these have always been in Florida from different locations, may be different elsewhere!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Getting back to Dollar, it did slightly amuse me as the pushy lady thought I was a tourist as it was from Orlando airport and was telling my how bad the roads were and that I WOULD have a puncture on the the I4...I just told her that I would risk it and if it did happen I would just abandon the car and get one of my neighbours to pick me up and they could sort out the car, that shut her up!
Old Feb 17th 2012, 8:41 pm
Banned

londonights is an unknown quantity at this point

they get commission thats why they push the roadsafe thing or is that what they call it?

thanks