Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:07 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
--not sure why that is so bad? Should illegal aliens be allowed to sue and receive punitive and compensatory damages?

This isn't about the rights of illegal immigrants. We all know that the US government doesn't really want to clamp down too much on illegal workers too much (i.e. just enough to satisfy Public Opinion).

Many of the businesses that ensured the election of GWB and his cronies rely on illegal workers. The real purpose of this law is to make it even easier for such businesses to exploit illegal workers (and at the same time make it appear as if they are tough on illegals).
Old Nov 15th 2006, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This isn't about the rights of illegal immigrants. We all know that the US government doesn't really want to clamp down too much on illegal workers too much (i.e. just enough to satisfy Public Opinion).

Many of the businesses that ensured the election of GWB and his cronies rely on illegal workers. The real purpose of this law is to make it even easier for such businesses to exploit illegal workers (and at the same time make it appear as if they are tough on illegals).

Can you elaborate? I ask as I didn't realise this was business driven.

The reading that I did on the issue said it came about mainly for private cases, so that if an illegal worker is hurt while working on private property the USC homeowner (for example) would not have to pay damages or be liable. As you know, punitive damages would normally be offered as a means of punishing the home-owner in such a case. This is separate to compensatory damages, which are not a part of the proposition. A precedent was set when a judge gave an illegal a USC owned home, as punitive compensation.

That raised a good point: is it appropriate for a citizen to lose his property to someone who isn't legally permitted to be in the US?

Those against the proposition raised a very good point: passage of this would mean that an illegal could not pursue punitive damages against a drunk driver, if the drunk driver hit the illegal immigrant and caused bodily harm. In a sense that means the drunk driver could receive a lighter penalty than if he/she hit a legal resident.

Last edited by jen_andreson; Nov 15th 2006 at 12:14 am.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Can you elaborate? I ask as I didn't realise this was business driven.

The reading that I did on the issue said it came about mainly for private cases, so that if an illegal worker is hurt while working on private property the USC homeowner (for example) would not have to pay damages or be liable. As you know, punitive damages would normally be offered as a means of punishing the home-owner in such a case. This is separate to compensatory damages, which are not a part of the proposition. A precedent was set when a judge gave an illegal a USC owned home, as punitive compensation.

That raised a good point: is it appropriate for a citizen to lose his property to someone who isn't legally permitted to be in the US?

Those against the proposition raised a very good point: passage of this would mean that an illegal could not pursue punitive damages against a drunk driver, if the drunk driver hit the illegal immigrant and caused bodily harm. In a sense that means the drunk driver could receive a lighter penalty than if he/she hit a legal resident.
Take out the term illegal immigrant; the issue is - the constitution guarantees everyone the same protections under law, when you infringe on that, it becomes a slippery slope.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:01 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma

Reading Sven Hassel taught you a lot, didn't it?
I love Sven Hassel books....
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:03 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Have you ever seen a Massachusetts state trooper?
I love the way they dress here...but then we used to restore German tanks...I spent most of my weekends with men in German uniforms...I sad or just kinky not sure which.......
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:53 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I love the way they dress here...but then we used to restore German tanks...I spent most of my weekends with men in German uniforms...I sad or just kinky not sure which.......
I'm going for kinky.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 2:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Does the current administration consider itself the extreme right?
I don't think so, even though that's how they act. Even they're not stupid enough to realise that's not what wins votes. Though thankfully the voters saw through that (only just!). Remember "compassionate conservatism", widely touted in the 2004 elections? Don't hear that anymore, eh?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:54 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Should illegal aliens be allowed to sue and receive punitive and compensatory damages?
Yes! Especially from illegal *employers* who are also circumventing the law the government has chosen not to enforce, and in the land where equal protection under the law is enshrined for all under US jurisdiction by the XIV amendment to the Constitution.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:40 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by krizzy
Really? Where was this, Bovington?
Would have loved to do that (restore German Tanks, that is)
Which ones? Mk3? Mk4?