Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

Immigrants arrested in the United States may be held indefinitely on suspicion of terrorism and may not challenge their imprisonment in civilian courts, the Bush administration said Monday, opening a new legal front in the fight over the rights of detainees.

http://kevxml2a.verizon.net/_1_3R3TO...&feed=ap&top=1
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:45 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

I'll never understand how they can get away with things like this.. it shocks me every time..

This would be ok if they got it right every time, maybe.. but it is just too clear that they are wrong very often..

The power that they give themselves is just outrageous
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: US: Immigrants May Be Held Indefinitely

Originally Posted by anabella
I'll never understand how they can get away with things like this.. it shocks me every time..

This would be ok if they got it right every time, maybe.. but it is just too clear that they are wrong very often..

The power that they give themselves is just outrageous
They don't seem to understand that when they curtail civil liberties like this, they are actually doing the work of the terrorists for them!! America likes to think of itself as a bastion of freedom, but they are just showing themselves to be exactly the opposite.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:55 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
They don't seem to understand that when they curtail civil liberties like this, they are actually doing the work of the terrorists for them!! America likes to think of itself as a bastion of freedom, but they are just showing themselves to be exactly the opposite.

The government keeps telling its people that they live in the "land of freedom" so the average American knows only what they have heard/been told..

The reality is that they live in a very oppressive regime.. but how would they know this if they have nothing to compare it to.. everything is so biased and so controlled by the media
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The government keeps telling its people that they live in the "land of freedom" so the average American knows only what they have heard/been told..

The reality is that they live in a very oppressive regime.. but how would they know this if they have nothing to compare it to.. everything is so biased and so controlled by the media
I would hardly say the US is 'a very oppressive regime'. After all...if you don't like it...don't come here.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would hardly say the US is 'a very oppressive regime'. After all...if you don't like it...don't come here.

I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just giving my honest opinion. It isn't exactly "the land of freedom"..
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm just giving my honest opinion. It isn't exactly "the land of freedom"..
I realise that. When I said 'you' I didn't mean you personally...it was meant as a generalisation.

You didn't offend me...sure the US has its faults...like most countries do. I just thought your words were a little OTT that's all.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:24 pm

I realise that. When I said 'you' I didn't mean you personally...it was meant as a generalisation.

You didn't offend me...sure the US has its faults...like most countries do. I just thought your words were a little OTT that's all.

"Immigrants arrested in the United States may be held indefinitely on suspicion of terrorism and may not challenge their imprisonment in civilian courts, the Bush administration said Monday, opening a new legal front in the fight over the rights of detainees."

The above basically means that they can arrest any immigrant (and most of us in this forum are immigrants) that they think suspicious and there is literally nothing they can do about it.. There is no chance given to prove that you are inocent if you are.. if they say that you are suspicious then that's that..

I can't help having a strong opinion about acts that are against human rights..
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

"Immigrants arrested in the United States may be held indefinitely on suspicion of terrorism and may not challenge their imprisonment in civilian courts, the Bush administration said Monday, opening a new legal front in the fight over the rights of detainees."

The above basically means that they can arrest any immigrant (and most of us in this forum are immigrants) that they think suspicious and there is literally nothing they can do about it.. There is no chance given to prove that you are inocent if you are.. if they say that you are suspicious then that's that..

You'd better be careful what you say then...you're arriving here this week aren't you.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:32 pm

You'd better be careful what you say then...you're arriving here this week aren't you.

That's what I was thinking while I was typing..

Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That's what I was thinking while I was typing..

Maybe you should let us know the exact time and date of your arrival...we will send a search party out for you if you don't post on BE within 12 hrs.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:37 pm

Maybe you should let us know the exact time and date of your arrival...we will send a search party out for you if you don't post on BE within 12 hrs.

:scared: no way Jose!

It has already been hard enough to get to be with hubby as it is..
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

:scared: no way Jose!

It has already been hard enough to get to be with hubby as it is..

All the best to you and hubby Anabella.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:57 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a legal trial balloon at this point, not a law. They're trying to establish both the legal detention time limits for immigrants in the US who are suspected of terrorist activity and who has jurisdiction for their trials (civilian or military courts).

The key expansion over the (very controversial) Guantanemo rulings is that they can be detained indefinitely regardless of where they are being detained. Because the man in this case is being held inside the US, the situation is different for him than for the Guantanemo detainees.

All of this seems to be a very poorly defined area in US immigration law. At least it's being done out in the open in full public view. I have no clue about how other countries handle this.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:01 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be a bit late for that if you were arrested on suspicion of terrorism.

The USA can be a very aggressive country - as has been shown by interventions eg Chile, Cuba

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.