Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Health system, coming back to the UK?

US Health system, coming back to the UK?

Old May 6th 2005, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Health system, coming back to the UK?

Originally Posted by gooner81
I can see your point here, but i can't wait until i move to the US and pay for my healthcare independently.

Yes you can see your doctor quickly but the advice is not so specific my wife is always saying how when she goes they don't really do any majoy checks they just say its probably this here is some tablets which is generally seaking true.

Also the technology available and general clenliness is much better in the US one of my best friends who is in his final year studying to be a doctor has worked in both US hospitals and UK ones and he says the US is so much better equipped and well maintained than the UK.
Uh-oh, I would read the threads started by some of the expat nurses, they are enlightening to say the least.

If I had to pick one and money wasn't an issue and I didn't have a choice of hospital I think I would pick the NHS anyday.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:55 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Well hopefully being a professional Accountant will give me good benefits with the job they normally do. Yeah every hosptial has horror stories even those in the UK..... ours are so dirty MRSA the super virus is a big issue over here and you don't here too much about it over the pond. or at least i haven't.
in the uk they don't have a name for every ailment anyone can have.
if you go to the doctors here with a snifly nose they will check you for allergies, not because they need to but because it makes them money. you are lucky to get out of a doctors surgery here without having some type of test. if you think that is good, wait till you start getting the bills. don't know what you think is a good insurance package, but unless its 100% with no deductables then the costs can soon add up. as for the nhs yes there are problems but don't knock it till you have tried the american system, you might realize it isn't as bad as you think.

Last edited by candy wy.; May 6th 2005 at 11:02 pm.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:58 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I can see your point here, but i can't wait until i move to the US and pay for my healthcare independently.
Your present savings (http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...94&postcount=3) may manage a bottle of generic antibiotics and day surgery on an in-growing toenail if you're lucky.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Baby in hospital for 3 days due to chicken pox becoming infected.

Bill= $8 000.00 and that was 8 years ago.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:19 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

MRSA the super virus is a big issue over here and you don't here too much about it over the pond. or at least i haven't.
Maybe not about MRSA in particular, but there's this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7700998/

Hospital-acquired infections are worsening in the United States, even though the problem is widely recognized, according to a report issued Monday. "Hospital-acquired infections rates worsened by approximately 20 percent from 2000 to 2003 and accounted for 9,552 deaths and $2.60 billion, almost 30 percent of the total excess cost related to the patient safety incidents," the company said in its report. Such infections include antibiotic-resistant bacteria that are very difficult to treat, including staphylococcus and streptococcus infections.
Old May 6th 2005, 11:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Baby in hospital for 3 days due to chicken pox becoming infected.

Bill= $8 000.00 and that was 8 years ago.
giving birth 20 years ago cost the in-laws $30K...and that was no complications...
Old May 6th 2005, 11:43 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

I've had a couple of experiences here ....

In the UK I was in the hospital for an over night stay (In Chester) on the NHS. Hospital and staff weren't welcoming, comfortable or pleasant, and I'd had a weeks long wait between diagnosis and stay.

3 years ago I was in a BUPA hospital in Chester again for a pilonidal sinus extraction. Much nicer, own room, friendly staff.

Right now, I've just come out of a 5 day hospital stay here for an emergency appendectomy. I saw the doc on a monday, went for a CAT scan at North Shore Medical in Lynn, Mass at 2pm on Tuesday, by 4:30pm Tuesday I was being operated on as an emergency admission. I had a very comfortable, friendly, and dare I say fun 5 day stay. The room was nice, cable TV, constant monitoring by nice staff who took the time to get to know me and chat. I felt very looked after, the equipment was new and modern and everyone knew how to use it. In general, just a good experience.

I'd have to say that of all three, the NHS was easily the worst experience, the BUPA experience next and the US hospital was the best by far.

And cost? My medical insurance covered everything so far. It's not cost me a penny and I don't expect it too.

Everyones milage will, of course, vary wildly
Old May 6th 2005, 11:51 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Maybe not about MRSA in particular, but there's this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7700998/

Hospital-acquired infections are worsening in the United States, even though the problem is widely recognized, according to a report issued Monday.
Over 70% of the antibiotics in the US are used on farm animals. You want superbugs? You're coming to the right place.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:02 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about the rest of you, but the standard conversation on visiting the Doc goes something like:

Doc/Nurse: We just need to run these three tests. Won't take long.
Me: What do you hope to learn from these tests?
Doc/Nurse: These are just standard tests that we give all of our patients.
Me: Who pays for them?
Doc/Nurse: They should be covered by your health insurance.
Me: Minus the deductible. How about we just skip these tests?
Old May 7th 2005, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

especially as they turn up with a valid NI number / british accent / residential address.
I have a valid NI number, no british accent, and I can use my daughter's address and go back to the same surgery that I previously went to before we moved over to the US.

The problem is, of course, that while the NHS does do surgeries and treat people for free, its not always done on the spot or quick as you please. I've had three surgeries in the UK, the first two were emergencies, so of course they were done quite quickly. But, the third was scheduled and it took a good few months to have it done, plus they canceled it a few times. I think, unless its an emergency, you'd probably have a hard time getting a scheduled anything done with the NHS.

Also, to the original poster, your wife would have to be a resident, and have a NHS card, plus be registered with a doctor's surgery. I've heard as well that they are clamping down on things and actually wanting to see passports before doctor's surgeries will register new patients.

I might add, that retirement in the UK sounds more and more like an interesting prospect. Something my husband and I may work towards, unless things change drastically here....but I doubt they will.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg
I've had a couple of experiences here ....

In the UK I was in the hospital for an over night stay (In Chester) on the NHS. Hospital and staff weren't welcoming, comfortable or pleasant, and I'd had a weeks long wait between diagnosis and stay.

3 years ago I was in a BUPA hospital in Chester again for a pilonidal sinus extraction. Much nicer, own room, friendly staff.

Right now, I've just come out of a 5 day hospital stay here for an emergency appendectomy. I saw the doc on a monday, went for a CAT scan at North Shore Medical in Lynn, Mass at 2pm on Tuesday, by 4:30pm Tuesday I was being operated on as an emergency admission. I had a very comfortable, friendly, and dare I say fun 5 day stay. The room was nice, cable TV, constant monitoring by nice staff who took the time to get to know me and chat. I felt very looked after, the equipment was new and modern and everyone knew how to use it. In general, just a good experience.

I'd have to say that of all three, the NHS was easily the worst experience, the BUPA experience next and the US hospital was the best by far.

And cost? My medical insurance covered everything so far. It's not cost me a penny and I don't expect it too.

Everyones milage will, of course, vary wildly
Was your problem in the UK an emergency?
Old May 7th 2005, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
actually wanting to see passports before doctor's surgeries will register new patients.
What would be the point of that? I'm not a UK resident but my passport has a UK address, and I'm guessing an American resident in the UK would have their old US address in their passport for some time after they've become resident.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
What would be the point of that? I'm not a UK resident but my passport has a UK address, and I'm guessing an American resident in the UK would have their old US address in their passport for some time after they've become resident.
to show a proper visa to stay in the country. And yes they are asking....
Old May 7th 2005, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg

having duff nhs care is luck of the draw, just like good insurance and hospital care over here is....
And your medical insurance is far higher premium than back in blighty...and if you lost your job, you'd then be buggered and with no medical...

The missus has good medical insurance, covers 80% of all medical visits and fee's for her till she hits $1000...as her spouse, it's $3000 before it becomes 100%...and we'd be sunk basically if anything happened even with that coverage, not to mention if got long term sickness with prescriptions, would be well stuff, certainly couldn't just get another job if we wanted because a lot of insurance wouldn't cover pre-existing conditions, certainly for x amount of time.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
to show a proper visa to stay in the country. And yes they are asking....
Ah, the visa, forgot about that. I'm pretty sure you'll still get into hospital without too much of a problem though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.