Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Health system, coming back to the UK?

US Health system, coming back to the UK?

Old May 7th 2005, 12:19 am
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of
Default Re: US Health system, coming back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Bob
having duff nhs care is luck of the draw, just like good insurance and hospital care over here is....
And your medical insurance is far higher premium than back in blighty...and if you lost your job, you'd then be buggered and with no medical...

The missus has good medical insurance, covers 80% of all medical visits and fee's for her till she hits $1000...as her spouse, it's $3000 before it becomes 100%...and we'd be sunk basically if anything happened even with that coverage, not to mention if got long term sickness with prescriptions, would be well stuff, certainly couldn't just get another job if we wanted because a lot of insurance wouldn't cover pre-existing conditions, certainly for x amount of time.
Agreed, I got lucky with my medical insurance being so good, and coming with my job. Which is why I said everyones milage will vary. The US system isn't all bad, and can work for the right situations. The NHS isn't all roses and light, but would work great for some situations.

My experience was the NHS sucked, and the US system worked great
Old May 7th 2005, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Why doesn't someone create a not-for-profit health insurance company?

For me personally, I think because health insurance companies are run to make money for their owners the patients care isn't their top priority.
Old May 7th 2005, 12:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
no money in it
Old May 7th 2005, 12:34 am
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
giving birth 20 years ago cost the in-laws $30K...and that was no complications...
Had a baby last month, we pay $400 a month insurance and are looking at a bill of $1800 because of deductibles. Nice way to start with a new baby - being in debt. Give me the NHS any time!
Old May 7th 2005, 12:52 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
in the uk they don't have a name for every ailment anyone can have.
if you go to the doctors here with a snifly nose they will check you for allergies, not because they need to but because it makes them money. you are lucky to get out of a doctors surgery here without having some type of test. if you think that is good, wait till you start getting the bills. don't know what you think is a good insurance package, but unless its 100% with no deductables then the costs can soon add up. as for the nhs yes there are problems but don't knock it till you have tried the american system, you might realize it isn't as bad as you think.
How very true. As for 'the accountant' and his 'package': we have what is probably one of the best 'packages' available.

Last year we (family of 5) paid over $16,000 in deductibles, co-pays and 'not covered events'. Granted, this does include dental (DH needed a couple of implants), but still...

How many of you have ever stood behind a 'retired person' at the pharmacy who asked the pharmacist which of her various prescriptions were 'essential' and which ones she might be able to 'do without'? Happens all the time.

Sickening!
Old May 7th 2005, 1:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a cycle accident in Sri Lanka and one in Surrey.

Sri Lanka involved operation, god knows how many stiches, and the treatment was superb, building a bit crap but not the real point. $600 for a 4 day stay all inclusive.

Surrey, we will not go into.

The NHS have no idea I am out of the country. And anyway all you have to do if you want to play by the rules is to return as a resident. Nothing to stop you changing your mind and leaving again.

Likewise a US spouse, just need to get her immigrant status before going over, takes a day, yet again nothing to keep you there.

Taxes etc is a fairly pointless issue, hardly anything in the UK is hypothecated
anyway, whatever they call it.
Old May 7th 2005, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
How many of you have ever stood behind a 'retired person' at the pharmacy who asked the pharmacist which of her various prescriptions were 'essential' and which ones she might be able to 'do without'? Happens all the time.

Sickening!
My grandmother refused to pay for her very essential medicine to prevent her from having another stroke....it had went up $30 a month, and she just couldn't afford it. Yeah it makes me mad, very mad. Especially when I know my husband's grandmother is practically the same age, living in a retirement flat and has a cleaner (paid by the government) come in once a week to help. All in the UK. And certainly doesn't worry about prescriptions....she doesn't have to pay anything.
Old May 7th 2005, 1:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
which is why there's quite the boomin' trade in precription tour holiday buses in maine for oap's to hop the border to canada for day trips and to pick up cheap prescription drugs, but Bush is making that illegal...
Old May 7th 2005, 1:25 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
which is why there's quite the boomin' trade in precription tour holiday buses in maine for oap's to hop the border to canada for day trips and to pick up cheap prescription drugs, but Bush is making that illegal...
Compassionate conservative, right? My ass.
Old May 7th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

For me personally, I think because health insurance companies are run to make money for their owners the patients care isn't their top priority.
Having a Not-for-profit on the surface sounds good but its almost impossible to get due to the nature of medical cover. There is no way the company could come up with a price that would restrict them making profits and if they tried they would only end up bankrupt because they are never going to know who and how much will need to be done each year which is why they have to charge such high premiums and make profits. Don't forget these a high percent of these profits will stay in the company as retained earnings in case they have a bad year one year and have to pay a huge amount in medical expenses.
Old May 7th 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Ok here's what i don't understand. I understand the decuctable's bit but don't most good job's have medical cover that has no deductibles due to being in their benefit that you are fit and well to do your job. If the job does only cover say 80% then isn't there an option to upgrade your medical package from your place of work and pay the difference, thats certainly what i would do.

I had a quick look around at prices for me and my wife and maybe because we are young i found a a package with no deductables for around $380 per month for both of us NOT each, however my mother-in-law said with the kind of jobs we are after we will get good health cover anyway.
Old May 7th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I cannot grumble about my NHS treatment, and I have had a few operations, plus cancer plus heart attack. I spent my first time in an American hospital last November for a THR. A couple of weeks ago I phoned for an appointment for my 6 months check up. How about tomorrow at 2-15 was the reply. That is the difference to me.
Old May 7th 2005, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gooner81
Ok here's what i don't understand. I understand the decuctable's bit but don't most good job's have medical cover that has no deductibles due to being in their benefit that you are fit and well to do your job. If the job does only cover say 80% then isn't there an option to upgrade your medical package from your place of work and pay the difference, thats certainly what i would do.

I had a quick look around at prices for me and my wife and maybe because we are young i found a a package with no deductables for around $380 per month for both of us NOT each, however my mother-in-law said with the kind of jobs we are after we will get good health cover anyway.
That's cheap.

Many Americans are one serious illness away from Bankruptcy

Many bankruptcies have a medical cause

Many of those had medical insurance

Coming from the UK, it is difficult to get your head around it. Just the way it is.

My wife used to work for a major IT company, I was amazed at how much she still incurred even allowing for good coverage. OK, nothing major in relative terms but then nothing major in the way of illness.
Old May 7th 2005, 2:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by gooner81
Most places of work will offer differing packages, but these days, they are cutting back on the medical, so a lot of places offer HMO's which suck balls.

Depending on how senior you are could be the difference between how much you have to pay for deductibles before you get 100% coverage.
MIL has $100 before they get 100% coverage, but she's paying half her teachers salary for it and wouldn't change to the newer HMO contracts which are shite.
Doesn't have dental or optics though.

I do, pair of glasses and lenses, I still had to pay $126, but without insurance, would have cost $450

Dental, getting teeth cleaned once a year is free, without insurance, $150
A checkup and x-ray $250, a filling $100-250...and for that we have 80% coverage...and that's really good because a lot of places don't offer dental and optics insurance...
So you break your glassed and break a tooth falling off your bike and it'll be one expensive fall, if you have to go to ER because of a broken leg...ouch on top of the pain...
Old May 7th 2005, 3:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: US Health system, coming back to the UK?

In case you guys haven't seen this, here is a bunch of Yanks discussing the relative merits of the 2 health care systems:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=10349.0

"If you were faced with a serious, even life-threatening illness, and you had the choice, would you prefer to be treated in the UK or in the USA?" was the question asked...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.