Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Health system, coming back to the UK?

US Health system, coming back to the UK?

Old May 6th 2005, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future
Default Re: US Health system, coming back to the UK?

Originally Posted by izibear
One quick quessies for y'all. If you're resident in another EU country, can you get Brit healthcare and vice versa, free of charge? Just curious.

Yes you can.
Old May 6th 2005, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

mrcusa: can I kick it?
Old May 6th 2005, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
Not seriously I hope.

Why don't you change your GP then?

There are at least 48 million Americans who would think that the UK healthcare system is fantastic.

It takes about 4 weeks to get an appointment here in Florida where I am, and if you call with an emergency they tell you to go to the ER.
bacause doctors are like rocking horse shite were I live.....my mum lives in florida and it didn't take her that long
Old May 6th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cabritpop
interesting. It looks like it would be pretty easy to get one of these cards if you are an expat, so long as you can list a UK address i.e. parents.

On the subject of getting healthcare I can't imagine it would be too difficult to get care with the NHS if you wanted it. Lets face it the chances of the NHS records ever linking up with the immigration?! or any other data are slim to none, so how would they ever even need to know.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

health tourism happens all the time in the nhs and its very difficult to prevent it as over here we are into the free healthcare ethos which makes us all bloody soft. i recently witnessed the last dialysis place in my hospital be taken by a health tourist who had arrived 10 days before on an airplane.
as a consequence of the lack of space people cannot have the treatment they need!
the nhs does need to get tough really if its to survive
Old May 6th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Like some others I paid into the NHS all my working life as I did not retire to the USA until I was 65. I have paid my dues and now am not covered. Goes against the grain really. Not that I would lose too much sleep over it.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's definitely something you have to keep in mind here that you might not have to keep in mind in other countries. As an American, it's just something I take for granted (like saving money for my kids' college education).

It may seem obvious to people here, but in the US, benefits like health insurance are seen as a key piece of compensation and a deciding factor in accepting any job. In general, people are very careful to ensure they have good coverage prior to beginning work. Companies are generally very up front about it as well. Ex-pats and immigrants might not know that ensuring coverage is absolutely essential and wind up with enormous insurance bills.
For all its shortcomings the United Kingdom is a country that is civilised and CARES for it's citizens.

Old May 6th 2005, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I never had any problems seeing my Dr in the UK. If I phoned in the morning it was usual to see him that day or early the next. I have nothing bad to say against the NHS. Brits really dont know how good they have it.
Old May 6th 2005, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I never had any problems seeing my Dr in the UK. If I phoned in the morning it was usual to see him that day or early the next. I have nothing bad to say against the NHS. Brits really dont know how good they have it.

Hear, hear!!!
Old May 6th 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tony126
Like some others I paid into the NHS all my working life as I did not retire to the USA until I was 65. I have paid my dues and now am not covered. Goes against the grain really. Not that I would lose too much sleep over it.
Can you imagine saying to a US insurance provider 'well I paid my insurance every year until last. Will you still pay for my op?'
Old May 6th 2005, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

gooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant futuregooner81 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I can see your point here, but i can't wait until i move to the US and pay for my healthcare independently.

Yes you can see your doctor quickly but the advice is not so specific my wife is always saying how when she goes they don't really do any majoy checks they just say its probably this here is some tablets which is generally seaking true.

Also the technology available and general clenliness is much better in the US one of my best friends who is in his final year studying to be a doctor has worked in both US hospitals and UK ones and he says the US is so much better equipped and well maintained than the UK.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:09 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooner81
I can see your point here, but i can't wait until i move to the US and pay for my healthcare independently.

Yes you can see your doctor quickly but the advice is not so specific my wife is always saying how when she goes they don't really do any majoy checks they just say its probably this here is some tablets which is generally seaking true.

Also the technology available and general clenliness is much better in the US one of my best friends who is in his final year studying to be a doctor has worked in both US hospitals and UK ones and he says the US is so much better equipped and well maintained than the UK.
you are joking ...

Last edited by candy wy.; May 6th 2005 at 10:12 pm.
Old May 6th 2005, 10:12 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
Further, a big issue arises with prescription drugs, where the cost could well bankrupt you here if you need them month after month, year after year. You can't fly over to the UK to get them free on the NHS either.

and, quite frankly, why should you be able to?
Because I've paid years of income tax and national insurance?

I would be extremely annoyed if the NHS refused to treat me
Old May 6th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Give me a break!!
Old May 6th 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes all true, they even collect you for your appointment... Sorry I'm not being rude however when you live hoping that you wont be ill and not just cause its not very nice then maybe you will re think your comments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.