Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

us entry advice on cautions

us entry advice on cautions

Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

in a stew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default us entry advice on cautions

Hello, i hope someone can advise me on my problem. 2 years ago (august 05) i attended a music festival where i was searched and cautioned for possession of drugs( small amount of amphetamine and 4 ecstasy tablets). Got detained for a few hours and let go back into the festival, there was no court appearance but i was told the caution would stay on my record for 3 years. I have booked to go to florida early next year and have booked an appt at the american embassy at the end of november. I have to pay for my trip fully to the states mid december, can you advise me as to whether you think i will get a visa, i do not have any other criminal record.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: us entry advice on cautions

My guess is that you don't get the visa -- too recent. You also sound young and they don't like young people too much.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
My guess is that you don't get the visa -- too recent. You also sound young and they don't like young people too much.
no not that young,want to go with my wife and eight year old daughter. If the caution is on my record do you feel they will turn me down and if it isnt should i not attend the embassy and take my chance?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by in a stew
no not that young,want to go with my wife and eight year old daughter. If the caution is on my record do you feel they will turn me down and if it isnt should i not attend the embassy and take my chance?
You've already applied for an appointment so your card's marked. There was a post on here a way back where the general conclusion was that the US authorities had no access to data on cautions on a day-to-day basis. In fact, it would seem that even UK police forces in different regions had no easy access.

But the milk's split if you made the appointment. Make sure you take plenty of documentation with you to prove your reformed character, i.e. a letter from your boss and the vicar. They get bees in their bonnets about drug offenses at the consulate. Weird really since at any one time I'd estimate a large proportion of the native population is stoned out of their heads.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

You've already applied for an appointment so your card's marked. There was a post on here a way back where the general conclusion was that the US authorities had no access to data on cautions on a day-to-day basis. In fact, it would seem that even UK police forces in different regions had no easy access.

But the milk's split if you made the appointment. Make sure you take plenty of documentation with you to prove your reformed character, i.e. a letter from your boss and the vicar. They get bees in their bonnets about drug offenses at the consulate. Weird really since at any one time I'd estimate a large proportion of the native population is stoned out of their heads.
Thanks for the info, do you think that if i didnt attend the appt it would flag at poe?
If my access report comes back blank should i forget the appt and take my chance?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:20 pm
Septicity

Thanks for the info, do you think that if i didnt attend the appt it would flag at poe?
If my access report comes back blank should i forget the appt and take my chance?
Milk's spilt! Dunno whether it would flag. Say it did, and the port-of-entry officer asks you, "Why did you make an appointment to apply for a B2 visa?" What would you say then? Do you look good in orange? IMO, it's too late.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Milk's spilt! Dunno whether it would flag. Say it did, and the port-of-entry officer asks you, "Why did you make an appointment to apply for a B2 visa?" What would you say then? Do you look good in orange? IMO, it's too late.
No orange isnt my colour! Do you know if there is ant specific rule for cautions on drugs or is it down to the emebassy official?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:24 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

And answer the Qs on the I-94W, how exactly?

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/i-94w.html
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:25 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by meauxna
And answer the Qs on the I-94W, how exactly?

http://www.immihelp.com/visas/i-94w.html
Precisely!
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:33 pm
Septicity

Do you know if there is ant specific rule for cautions on drugs or is it down to the emebassy official?
http://www.state.gov/m/a/dir/regs/fam/c22167.htm
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You have a drug conviction ..no matter how you call it ..
Old Oct 16th 2007, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Disneyland Paris seems favourite. Do the drugs, pay the price !
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:10 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

i attended a music festival where i was searched and cautioned for possession of drugs( small amount of amphetamine and 4 ecstasy tablets). Got detained for a few hours and let go back into the festival
Not to be silly (and it doesn't affect the problem of the question on the green form), but are you sure it was a caution? I thought cautions were a bit more formal than that i.e. a follow-up interview/appointment in the Inspector's office or something like that.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
Not to be silly (and it doesn't affect the problem of the question on the green form), but are you sure it was a caution? I thought cautions were a bit more formal than that i.e. a follow-up interview/appointment in the Inspector's office or something like that.
yes definately a caution, they had a temporary police station on site and i was told it was a caution which would stay on my record for 3 years.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:35 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

'kin Ada.