Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Storm Windows

Storm Windows

Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Storm Windows

So who's punted up the winter storm windows yet?

We've just taken out the AC and window fans and put up a few of the storm windows, doing the rest next week...well trying to hold out for a bit longer
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Storm Windows

Originally Posted by Bob

We've just taken out the AC and window fans and put up a few of the storm windows, doing the rest next week...well trying to hold out for a bit longer
Sorry Bob, storm season's almost over....
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

What's a storm window?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:00 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What's a storm window?
In older houses with wooden sash windows, it's an "extra" window that fits over the outside of the sash window. Usually they hang on hooks and nails. Before A/C it was kind of a seasonal duty to switch from the summer "screens" to the winter "glass". Our last house was like this. It was a real PITA.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

What's a storm window?
In most homes, you have a main, thick, window, and then on the outside there is a screen so in the Summer you can open the windows without the bugs flying into your house.

However, the screen is pretty much worthless in winter, so many homes have a 'storm window' which is another sheet of glass or plexiglass that replaces / slides over the screen and helps to seal the house.

Some houses also have 'storm shutters' which are closed over the windows during big storms to prevent against debris breaking the window, but by and large the functional use of shutters has been replaced by the decorative use.

edit: Here is a picture of someone adding one (on the inside) to help cut their heating expenses

http://www.bostoniaindustries.com/html/system_ii.html
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
In older houses with wooden sash windows, it's an "extra" window that fits over the outside of the sash window. Usually they hang on hooks and nails. Before A/C it was kind of a seasonal duty to switch from the summer "screens" to the winter "glass". Our last house was like this. It was a real PITA.
Originally Posted by penguinsix
In most homes, you have a main, thick, window, and then on the outside there is a screen so in the Summer you can open the windows without the bugs flying into your house.

However, the screen is pretty much worthless in winter, so many homes have a 'storm window' which is another sheet of glass or plexiglass that replaces / slides over the screen and helps to seal the house.

Some houses also have 'storm shutters' which are closed over the windows during big storms to prevent against debris breaking the window, but by and large the functional use of shutters has been replaced by the decorative use.

edit: Here is a picture of someone adding one (on the inside) to help cut their heating expenses

http://www.bostoniaindustries.com/html/system_ii.html

OK thank you. Can't say I've noticed them before...I will have to take a closer look at the windows in older houses in the coming months.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:06 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

That annoys me to no end, I hate fake stuff.... I know they're fake and don't even open or close, but seeing shutters on houses that when closed wouldn't even cover the window just angers me.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:18 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
That annoys me to no end, I hate fake stuff.... I know they're fake and don't even open or close, but seeing shutters on houses that when closed wouldn't even cover the window just angers me.
calm down, its just decorative! miserable sod
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

that's the jobby, though most windows have double rails so you can slide the storm windows up and the screens down, and then switch over in the winter.

It's a PITA as it makes it so much more of a hassle to open a window in winter, but as you hardly ever end up doing that, I guess you live with it. Does help keep the cold out and save on some oil in the winter though.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 3:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Man, I haven't had to put up storm windows in 31 years. Now we have new double instulated windows and screens and never have to bother with storm windows again. I know you guys live in a private house so you are not as fortunate as some of us

I was in the Berkshires this weekend and it wasn't all that cold as yet. I would hold off until at least the second week of November if not after Thanksgiving myself.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:28 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
calm down, its just decorative! miserable sod
I don't like fake masonry either...
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rete
Man, I haven't had to put up storm windows in 31 years. Now we have new double instulated windows and screens and never have to bother with storm windows again. I know you guys live in a private house so you are not as fortunate as some of us

I was in the Berkshires this weekend and it wasn't all that cold as yet. I would hold off until at least the second week of November if not after Thanksgiving myself.
That's what I'm hoping to do, but it dipped below freezing around here last night, so the AC and stuff had to go...only done the storm windows for a couple of the rooms, it's a slow and annoying process...but I was tempted to get more done after this morning
Old Oct 15th 2007, 7:56 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have them in my house, but I soon decided it was too dodgy going up a ladder carrying a full size piece of framed glass and then leaning back to get the angle to hook it on the brackets. They were custom fit so I had to sort them out first. I gradually replaced them with "Triple Track" storms. The most difficult first.

Now I've moved it's all that sandwich glass stuff.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

What's a storm window?
What's winter?
Old Oct 15th 2007, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britdrinker
What's winter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.