Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US Education

US Education

Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Martdayna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US Education

My company has offered me a job in Fairfax VA & to move the family. My daughter aged 5 (6 in August) has been in UK education system now for 2 years. Will be in year 2 this September.

Does anyone know where I can find out what the curriculum will be for a 6 year old in the US?

I understand that in the US they start a year later than UK. I want her to keep her interest in education & not become bored, perhaps she should start in the class for 7 year olds. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:59 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Education

Take a look here. This was recently discussed and many posts are probably quite relevant.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456231
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:26 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martdayna
My company has offered me a job in Fairfax VA & to move the family. My daughter aged 5 (6 in August) has been in UK education system now for 2 years. Will be in year 2 this September.

Does anyone know where I can find out what the curriculum will be for a 6 year old in the US?

I understand that in the US they start a year later than UK. I want her to keep her interest in education & not become bored, perhaps she should start in the class for 7 year olds. Any suggestions?
Is it a definite that you'll be working in Fairfax, VA? If so, get used to mega traffic, mega cost of living!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:51 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martdayna
As they mentioned, Fairfax is traffic central. Joy.

You should note that there is no 'US curriculum' as each state and locality sets their own guidelines for what their students are to learn. You'll need to check with the school district where you are living to get a better understanding of what courses she will be taking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educati..._United_States

"Education in the United States is provided mainly by government, with control and funding coming from three levels: federal, state, and local. At the elementary and high school levels, curricula, funding, teaching, and other policies are set through locally elected school boards with jurisdiction over school districts. School districts are usually separate from other local jurisdictions, with independent officials and budgets. Educational standards and standardized testing decisions are usually made by state governments."
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

And as mentioned, it'll depend on the county you live in, so any info will be fairly general, but the other threads are worth looking into.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:58 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

The Fairfax County public school system is very good (perhaps even excellent) compared to other public school systems around the country. They spend about $13k/year per student on average. I'm a grateful alum of FCPS, thank you very much!

You can learn more about FCPS here: http://www.fcps.edu/index.shtml

Do you know where in Fairfax you'll be living?

~ Jenney
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Martdayna is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: US Education

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
The Fairfax County public school system is very good (perhaps even excellent) compared to other public school systems around the country. They spend about $13k/year per student on average. I'm a grateful alum of FCPS, thank you very much!

You can learn more about FCPS here: http://www.fcps.edu/index.shtml

Do you know where in Fairfax you'll be living?

~ Jenney
There has been nothing agreed, on the home location. The actual office is in Vienna, VA, but was informed Fairfax was a place to move with the family. I need to find an agent who has some rental properties in the area.

Martin