Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Voltage convertors 240v>110v

Voltage convertors 240v>110v

Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:33 am
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light
Default Voltage convertors 240v>110v

We're not bringing most of our electrical items, but for the few that we are, what kind of converters are available and can they make electricals that require 240v to work properly, work on 110v?

For example US friends or ours want an electric kettle from the UK. Is it possible to get it to boil as quickly in the US on a lower voltage?

TIA
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Voltage convertors 240v>110v

Hi

We have bought to great big converters (for Australian to US), at the moments one is running the computer and all that stuff, and the other is running the tv etc. They were about $100 each. I would definatly get one for those kind of items, but probably not for the kettle. their quite big (probably the size of a shoe box) although if you were bringing lots of kitchen equipment over it would be worth it.

Amanda
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:08 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/VID...ms/1448-IN-10?

I have 2 of these and run various UK electrical items on them. I've slowly replaced items as they broke or became outdated. Its a cheap option to get you up and running quickly without having to buy all new.

A kettle will boil just as quickly if you use this. However as previously stated it is rather large, they do also get warm. Try to find a decent kettle in the US instead.

Originally Posted by Terminal
We're not bringing most of our electrical items, but for the few that we are, what kind of converters are available and can they make electricals that require 240v to work properly, work on 110v?

For example US friends or ours want an electric kettle from the UK. Is it possible to get it to boil as quickly in the US on a lower voltage?

TIA
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

Pony... like you said TRY to find a decent kettle... they are like hens teeth over here!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=104045&RN=687
$49.99 - 20% off vouchers (Found everywhere)
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terminal

TIA
yes you can get converters and they work fine - a bit warm etc

Kettles are shite here as they are on lower voltage - so no matter how good a one you get it will still be slow! In theory the UK one should be quicker as you are stepping up the voltage
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=104045&RN=687
$49.99 - 20% off vouchers (Found everywhere)
Reg. Frank R.
these are best you can get here but still PAINFULLY slow compared to home!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Terminal, we can give you a great site where to buy your convertors from .. they are 'Step up, step down' and OH has found somewhere which does a good price on them. He's not here right now (out at the baseball with work!) but I'll ask him to post the link for you. Actually, I need to forward those emails I mentioned, so will do that at the same time.

Oh, and I found a great kettle

Cordless, fast and makes GREAT tea! As you'll find out when you pop round for a cuppa!

Said kettle

Last edited by Mandana; Jul 25th 2007 at 2:30 am.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
yes you can get converters and they work fine - a bit warm etc

Kettles are shite here as they are on lower voltage - so no matter how good a one you get it will still be slow! In theory the UK one should be quicker as you are stepping up the voltage
It's not the voltage that makes the difference it's the wattage. As long as they have the same wattage they will heat up at the same rate.

http://www.krupsonlinestore.com/prod...e&MENU=kettles

Why mess with a converter when an electric kettle is so cheap.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Pony... like you said TRY to find a decent kettle... they are like hens teeth over here!
Target usually has electric kettles and some of the mall stores.
Good luck
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
these are best you can get here but still PAINFULLY slow compared to home!
I had the 110v Russell Hobbs forever, it got sick, I bought the BRaun 3 years ago, not bad, pretty fast by USA standards.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Hi

We have bought to great big converters (for Australian to US), at the moments one is running the computer and all that stuff, and the other is running the tv etc. They were about $100 each. I would definatly get one for those kind of items, but probably not for the kettle. their quite big (probably the size of a shoe box) although if you were bringing lots of kitchen equipment over it would be worth it.

Amanda
We did exactly the same - bought a couple of convertors and Bobs your Uncle - everything works perfectly.

I was going to sell/give away/store or ditch all our kitchen equipment, but when I learnt about the convertors I decided it was cheaper and less time consuming to bring all our stuff and use the one convertor which is in the corner in the kitchen. So I brought the lot - including iron! Will replace with US as and when things die, but until then, I'm using what I've got and know.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I just checked the Krups UK web site and their kettles are 1750 watts, exactly the same as the US. So UK kettles boil quicker than US is a myth.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:52 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

These are pretty nice too, although not cheap. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13690707
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:10 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

In the UK I had a 'fast boil' model which was 3000 watts. 3kw kettles are common in the UK, I have not seen anything similar here though...

Originally Posted by surly
I just checked the Krups UK web site and their kettles are 1750 watts, exactly the same as the US. So UK kettles boil quicker than US is a myth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.