Reload this Page >

US divorce from Canadian citizen in the UK

US divorce from Canadian citizen in the UK

Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

greentree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US divorce from Canadian citizen in the UK

Hi All,

I got married two years ago to a Canadian citizen in the US (Washington state). The marriage has since disintegrated. She is back in Canada, I am back in the UK. No kids or shared assets.

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding divorce process? I know I can file here in UK, but I need to figure out how best to serve via the US (if I have got that right?) I have been in touch with a solicitor but I would like to find out if it is possible without one.

Any thoughts/help appreciated

Regards

GT
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US divorce from Canadian citizen in the UK

Do you need to serve via the US, I don't think you do. Contact your local County Court and ask them if you file for a divorce via that Court, can you just serve the papers on the other party in Canada in your circumstances.

If the answer they give makes it all straightforward great, if not perhaps reconsider using a solicitor.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The US doesn't enter into the equation. It's between the UK and Canada. Where you got married is not important in this case (or in any, as long as the marriage is recognized by the other countries involved).
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The US doesn't enter into the equation. It's between the UK and Canada. Where you got married is not important in this case (or in any, as long as the marriage is recognized by the other countries involved).
This.

You file for divorce where you live, and serve the papers on your wife where she lives.