US dentists

Old Nov 20th 2006, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy US dentists

Hi,

Whats with the dentists here.Has anyone had conflicting views ?

I used to go every 6 months in England and my teeth were fine. No fillings since little girl and had all the wisdoms out between 1993 and 2002.

Now my new dentist has me going in for a clean and scrape etc every 3 -4 months.And now he tells me i need flap surgery in the next couple of months on top back teeth ,one each side...Im freaking. Was all fine in UK.

What do you the rest of you think.Do we believe them or get more opinions ?

Thanks.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:10 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US dentists

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
Hi,

I used to go every 6 months in England and my teeth were fine. No fillings since little girl and had all the wisdoms out between 1993 and 2002.

Now my new dentist has me going in for a clean and scrape etc every 3 -4 months.And now he tells me i need flap surgery in the next couple of months on top back teeth ,one each side...Im freaking. Was all fine in UK.

Thanks.
Don't go to the dentist here but have dental insurance in case I get a few teeth knocked out.
See my dentist back home for a check up every time I'm there......actually called my mum today to make an appointment for me when I'm home for Christmas
Old Nov 20th 2006, 1:14 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=dentists

Dentists are always a hot topic on these forums. Here are just a few of the recent threads. You'll find that most people hate the dentist and coming from NHS dentistry in Britain find it extremely expensive here.
I have been a dental assistant in this country for over 10 years and I can tell you that on the whole, the treatment that you will receive here is excellent. There are exceptions to every rule however and if you have any doubts about the treatment that has been suggested to you then ask your dentist more questions (or when in doubt, ask the experts on BE! ).
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:46 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Good dentists are like good hairdressers - once you've found one you realise how precious they are!
Although I'm still feeling the pain from two big holes in my gums where my wisdom teeth used to be (in blaze's 3rd linked thread above), I have to say my dental work has been excellent. My dentist recommends a cleaning every 6 months, I think every 3-4 is a bit much but what do I know.

Last Christmas when I saw my dentist in the UK, he said 18 months in America had done more damage to my teeth than the previous 10 years :scared:
Aaahhhh I love the food here; sugar for breakfast, sucrose for lunch and high fructose corn syrup for dinner.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:51 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks.
Get more opinions.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 4:36 pm
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

I hate my dentist here.

I used to go religiously every 6 months in UK, clean, check-up, all ok.

Get here, and first visit consisted of about 20 x-rays (can't be good for you) and about 2 hours to clean my teeth.

Then was told I needed 8 fillings - so over the course of the next year I had them all done. I also needed a crown (this has been on the cards for a while), although it was not bothering me.

I decided to have the crown done last time. There was more filling than tooth, when the dentist took the filling out, she realised that she had to build up the tooth before the crown could go on. By this time my face felt like it was 3 times its usual size and she had her hands in my mouth.

I could hardly say, oh don't bother with it then. FFS she has been looking at the tooth for the past couple of years, did she not think that it might need building up, and quote me on the worst case.

The look on my face must have said it all.

They also gave me a list of what else needed doing (after taking another 6 or 7 x-rays) almost every tooth in my mouths needs something done to it. Crikey you would never have thought I have ever been to the dentist.

I have just received some paperwork from my dental insurance and there are two teeth on there that they haven't even done anything to. I am not best pleased.

They are also overly friendly. Hi Sam, how are you, you look great - PUK.
I'm Mrs Buchanan, thankyou very much...........................................
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

get a second or third opinion...try dental schools too....
Old Nov 20th 2006, 5:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks.
haha not sure how long you've been here but sounds to me like it's early days for you but you'll learn...they're just after your hard earned dosh, plain and simple
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

I only go once a year here, we do have cover, but I'm not listening to there bull shit of what I need doing, I'll go if I'm in pain. Money grabbing *****ers the lot of em
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:10 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
find another Dentist
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:51 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
I only go once a year here, we do have cover, but I'm not listening to there bull shit of what I need doing, I'll go if I'm in pain. Money grabbing *****ers the lot of em

Gosh you lot are hard!

I just wanted to address two points:
Once you're in pain in most cases it can be too late, pain means problems and it can mean that the problem has progressed too far for anything easy to be done to fix it or anything at all.
And to sambuc, if your name is Sam then what's the problem with them calling you that?
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:09 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambuc
I hate my dentist here.

I used to go religiously every 6 months in UK, clean, check-up, all ok.

Get here, and first visit consisted of about 20 x-rays (can't be good for you) and about 2 hours to clean my teeth.

Then was told I needed 8 fillings - so over the course of the next year I had them all done. I also needed a crown (this has been on the cards for a while), although it was not bothering me.

I decided to have the crown done last time. There was more filling than tooth, when the dentist took the filling out, she realised that she had to build up the tooth before the crown could go on. By this time my face felt like it was 3 times its usual size and she had her hands in my mouth.

I could hardly say, oh don't bother with it then. FFS she has been looking at the tooth for the past couple of years, did she not think that it might need building up, and quote me on the worst case.

The look on my face must have said it all.

They also gave me a list of what else needed doing (after taking another 6 or 7 x-rays) almost every tooth in my mouths needs something done to it. Crikey you would never have thought I have ever been to the dentist.

I have just received some paperwork from my dental insurance and there are two teeth on there that they haven't even done anything to. I am not best pleased.

They are also overly friendly. Hi Sam, how are you, you look great - PUK.
I'm Mrs Buchanan, thankyou very much...........................................

One also might wonder if the services quoted to you here (2 hour cleaning, eight fillings etc) might be a reflection on the level of dentristry in the UK, rather than a money grubber out toperform un-needed services here. The
x-rays is pretty routine- it is a great profit center and most insurance allows a set per year...and most dentists (and MD's/hospitals) know the insurance plans better that anyone. Again, if you feel they are un needed and don't want them, just say "NO"!

On the personal side, if you feel your dentist is being too familiar with you, tell him/her... or simply find another dentist.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:17 pm
Blondie22

[QUOTE=ironporer]x-rays is pretty routine- it is a great profit center and most insurance allows a set per year...and most dentists (and MD's/hospitals) know the insurance plans better that anyone. Again, if you feel they are un needed and don't want them, just say "NO"!

Right. The 20 x-rays that were spoken of are called a full mouth series. There are usually 18-20 of them and they are done every 2-3 years depending on how much dental work has been done during that time. Bite wing x-rays are taken every 12 months. All of this should be paid for by your insurance company. If individual x-rays (usually around $15 each) are required in between for problems etc then that is up to the insurance companies discretion.

And just just to add to another point that you made. It's amazing how most brits in this country just presume that it's the American dentist trying to line their pockets, it never occurs to them that it could be they just had terrible treatment in the UK and never knew it. I worked for an NHS dental practice and would never have let them touch my teeth, hence the fact I eventually quit my job because I couldn't stand working there (oh, and the dentist was a letch! ).
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I just went to my dentist to have a filling done; he's a great dentist who doesn't charge us for the part the insurance doesn't cover.

Also, the x-rays he did showed 1) my wisdom teeth coming through at the wrong angle, and 2) a cavity which was quite difficult to see.

I'm quite pleased...
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:18 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute

On the personal side, if you feel your dentist is being too familiar with you, tell him/her... or simply find another dentist.[/QUOTE]

Oh believe me I'm looking for another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.