US dentists

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:19 am
sun lover

sambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond reputesambuc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US dentists

Originally Posted by blaze
Gosh you lot are hard!

I just wanted to address two points:
Once you're in pain in most cases it can be too late, pain means problems and it can mean that the problem has progressed too far for anything easy to be done to fix it or anything at all.
And to sambuc, if your name is Sam then what's the problem with them calling you that?

My name is Sam, and I have no problem with being called that by my friends. My dentist is not my friend.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I just went to my dentist to have a filling done; he's a great dentist who doesn't charge us for the part the insurance doesn't cover.

Also, the x-rays he did showed 1) my wisdom teeth coming through at the wrong angle, and 2) a cavity which was quite difficult to see.

I'm quite pleased...

I am too...much better than my UK dentist.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:06 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say that my dentist in the US is much better than anyone I had in the UK. For example I'd never had an X-ray on my mouth before I came to the US (cheap enough for my insurance company to cover, yet a little too pricey for the hallowed NHS to provide as standard treatment I guess). Same goes for my teeth cleaning that they do every 6 months -never had that done on the NHS. In fact my average appointment with my UK dentist lasted around 5 minutes -no doubt because the guy had another 70 patients to see that day. A question to those who think that the US dentists are just trying to squeeze more money out of them: would you say that your dental care in the States was better or worse than your five minutes with your NHS dentist?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
... A question to those who think that the US dentists are just trying to squeeze more money out of them: would you say that your dental care in the States was better or worse than your five minutes with your NHS dentist?
Well I've had x-rays and teeth cleaned in the UK, so can't say that it was short, nor crap care, £10 to get teeth cleaned, £3 to a jab when needed a filling.

My old dentist in Maine, he was really good, the other bloke in the practice was a complete tw@ though....but we also had half decent dental insurance then....still not seen m y current dentist, but he came highly recommended by someone at work, so went with him, 15 odd miles away though, and there's dentists a dime a dozen around here it would seem, after I registered *lol*.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:13 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Well I've had x-rays and teeth cleaned in the UK, so can't say that it was short, nor crap care, £10 to get teeth cleaned, £3 to a jab when needed a filling.

My old dentist in Maine, he was really good, the other bloke in the practice was a complete tw@ though....but we also had half decent dental insurance then....still not seen m y current dentist, but he came highly recommended by someone at work, so went with him, 15 odd miles away though, and there's dentists a dime a dozen around here it would seem, after I registered *lol*.
My policy is to visit two dentists about six months apart. On the very rare occasion that both tell me I've got a cavity in the SAME tooth, I'll get it filled. So far I've had two cavities filled, and eight 'cavities' left undone over 12 years.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 2:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
My policy is to visit two dentists about six months apart. On the very rare occasion that both tell me I've got a cavity in the SAME tooth, I'll get it filled. So far I've had two cavities filled, and eight 'cavities' left undone over 12 years.
problem with that, unless you've seen the dentist, it can take yonks to even get an appointment, hell, my last place, even as a regular, would have to book 6 odd months in advance....that and the huge hassle of changing dentists on the insurance, don't make it easy.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:13 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I had to go through 3 dentists before I found one I liked. Now my US dentist lets me go home and get cheaper private treatment in the UK when needed. He even provides me with the x-rays to save cash. I saved $200 on my last crown and as I was going home anyway it didn't make a difference. My insurance company pays 50% for treatment in any country.

Those people that go home -- do you go as an NHS patient or a private one? I didn't think going back as NHS was allowed?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:22 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I like my new US dentist...one he is cheap...two he asks what I feel needs doing giving me the cheaper option first...

Both me and hubby have found that each time we have a crown...the tooth next to it has problems...so its crown time again with that tooth so I now try not to have any crowns...just repair work...and I've had less problems...
Old Nov 27th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a crown done here. Dentist did an excellent job. Insurance paid 50%, so price was similar to that paid in the UK for a crown (according to my mum, I have never had one before). I think you get more choice here as to what you want doing.

As regards the skill level of the dentists, I don't think there is any difference here or elsewhere, you get good ones and bad ones everywhere, I should imagine, but I don't think I've ever come across a bad one yet.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

jen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond reputejen_andreson has a reputation beyond repute

I like the dentist here as I feel she give recommendations for what we should have done and she also presents options. Our cleanings and x-rays 'preventative care' are free and insurance pays 50% or so for most things. They will pay 100% of silver fillings and we pay the difference for white ones.

My last UK dentist was a nice man and he tried to do a good job. He'd just arrived from Spain and I got on his books as the practice accepted new patients when he arrived. We hadn't had an NHS dentist for a few years. He told me he was limited in what he could do--started to do a crown on me, stopped as he didn't have the tools he needed, and he sent me private. The quote from them was higher than a quote I got here, so I had it done here when we were on a visit.