Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:05 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rtation-mexico

Yet more sob stories from the Guardian. 'What ever will do... leave my 4 US born children behind?' - Should have had then in Mexico then.

I am beginning to be very intolerant of immigration offenders and their entitled attitudes.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civilservant

Yet more sob stories from the Guardian. 'What ever will do... leave my 4 US born children behind?' - Should have had then in Mexico then.

I am beginning to be very intolerant of immigration offenders and their entitled attitudes.
The children are Mexican Citizens.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

I don't have much sympathy either, but it seems a weird priority, especially given that "early figures suggest that Trump has not yet increased deportation numbers substantially over the levels sustained by Barack Obama".
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

Actually the numbers have gone down compared to Obama, not that you would think that was the case reading the likes of the Graun.

Graun and its ilk seem to be doing Trump a favour.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Actually the numbers have gone down compared to Obama, not that you would think that was the case reading the likes of the Graun.

Graun and its ilk seem to be doing Trump a favour.
They are pointing out the change in emphasis, which is news. One theory is they are targeting the splitting up of families in order to discourage future such "illegal immigrants".

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 6th 2017 at 4:39 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 4:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Isnt the current correct PC term undocumented immigrants rather than illegal aliens ?

You are quite correct it is an unholy alliance from many standpoints of business and their lobbyists colluding with hypocritical politicians which avoids the common sense measure of penalizing businesses more severely that employ undocumented immigrants.
I was using (sorry I should have used "air quotes" for those who don't understand sarcasm and irony) Pulaski's own words to make a point.

The term that is most hurtful, as you well know, is to refer to human beings as "illegals".

Please stop trolling me and seek professional help.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 5:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I was using (sorry I should have used "air quotes" for those who don't understand sarcasm and irony) Pulaski's own words to make a point.

The term that is most hurtful, as you well know, is to refer to human beings as "illegals".

I'm not particularly attuned to PC terminology but your post leaves me shaking my head. Why is the term illegal when referring to aliens who are in the US or elsewhere without permission to be there hurtful? It is IMHO an accurate description. Their presence is illegal - period, end of sentence. Do you and the PC crowd prefer the term "unlawful"?
Old Apr 6th 2017, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie

I don't know enough about the definition of "trolling" and if anything thought if one made a post agreeing with someone that certainly wouldn't be considering "trolling". I respond to various posts on BE forums, and regardless of different points of view I assume we are all here to learn form each other.

You are correct you explained previously, contrary to experience I have had with people in the country without papers who use the same term themselves , that using the word "illegals" some consider hurtful- and realizing that on BE forums one has to always pay hyper-attention to such things, out of politeness if nothing else I actually try to careful not to use that phrase after our prior conversation.

It would be pretty boring if we only responded to people we agreed with. And whether I agree with you or not about various issues I always find your posts
thought-provoking and have often had to re-consider opinions I have held from various posts I have read on BE forums.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm not particularly attuned to PC terminology but your post leaves me shaking my head. Why is the term illegal when referring to aliens who are in the US or elsewhere without permission to be there hurtful? It is IMHO an accurate description. Their presence is illegal - period, end of sentence. Do you and the PC crowd prefer the term "unlawful"?
Honestly, I don't GAF what terminology people use. It's up to anybody to use whatever language they want. When you refer to somebody's presence as illegal then that's not particularly incendiary in my mind.

Sometimes when somebody keeps referring to people as "illegals" then I do wonder if they even realize that is a term that the people, that are being referred to, find hurtful. If you know that, and choose to continue to use the word, then more power to you. Free speech.

Are there any other groups of human lawbreakers that you can think of that are referred to as "illegals" ? Tax evaders? People who have a bunch of speeding tickets? Their actions are illegal yet it's very rare that we label people like we do undocumented people or people who have overstayed their visas. Such labeling is usually reserved to dehumanize the most heinous of groups like pedophiles and murderers.

Words can start out meaning one thing, and through usage, can become pejoratives. We know that the word nigger is derived from the Spanish/French/Portuguese word for black. Through usage (meaning the way that the word was used against black people) it became offensive.

Anyway, I'm not going to get dragged back into this. If the individual doesn't care about the weight of their own words, why should I? Everybody just go ahead and enjoy using whatever words you like ... who cares what anybody else thinks or how they feel? Right?

Last edited by Leslie; Apr 6th 2017 at 11:16 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

There is Legal Alien, Legal Permanent Resident, so what would be contrary, who calls themselves Documented?
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There is Legal Alien, Legal Permanent Resident, so what would be contrary, who calls themselves Documented?
We talk about legal age and underage drinkers, but we don't talk about illegal age drinkers.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:36 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

s/legal/lawful
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the most appropriate term for a resident who is not a legal immigrant would be "visitor". I was going to say "expat", but that implies legality of residence. But I really don't see why "illegal immigrant" should ever be considered offensive, except by the most precious of snowflakes. It is what it is.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:13 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Surely the most appropriate term for a resident who is not a legal immigrant would be "visitor". I was going to say "expat", but that implies legality of residence. But I really don't see why "illegal immigrant" should ever be considered offensive, except by the most precious of snowflakes. It is what it is.
The original conversation (in another thread) wasn't about the term "illegal immigrant". It was about referring to people as "illegals". Morpeth was trolling and trying to conflate two different things. It is interesting to see how easily you are to manipulate and how quick you are to foam at the mouth. It also explains why the RT propaganda works so well on you. The "precious snowflakes" is something you've started parroting a lot lately. How very alt-right of you! You'll be calling us all cucks next.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe D-mented ?

in landlord speak they would be called an unauthorized occupant.

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 10th 2017 at 5:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.