Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

Old Apr 1st 2017, 10:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

This article has just appeared in the Guardian, doesn't seem to be an April Fool spoof either.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...medium=twitter

Something for people to be aware of?
Old Apr 1st 2017, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US cracking down on overstayers, even if married to US citizens

With the Guardian it is often difficult to spot the difference, I have seen a few comments in the last week wondering if they had published April Fool's stories early.

Often there is significant information left out, particularly suspicious where comments have not been allowed.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 1:44 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

This happened in Lowell......FYI birthplace of Jack Kerouac and Bette Davis. It's an example of the authorities prioritizing the deportation of non-residents over the happiness of US families. IMHO immigration policy should seek to keep families together rather than separating them and taking people into custody when they are pursing a route to permanent residence is a cruel policy.

Last edited by nun; Apr 1st 2017 at 1:49 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

A quick look suggests they all had Deportation Orders, ie had been through the process and ordered deported by a judge.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Little sympathy where someone has previously not been following the law. The trouble with living outside the law is that you no longer have the protection of it.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:13 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
The trouble with living outside the law is that you no longer have the protection of it.
When did that little bit of draconian demagoguery happen?
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:16 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's a quote from Truman Capote - which I'm sure you already know.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It's a quote from Truman Capote - which I'm sure you already know.
I didnt actually. My knowledge of Capote extends little beyond the portrayal of him by Toby Jones.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Little sympathy where someone has previously not been following the law. The trouble with living outside the law is that you no longer have the protection of it.
I agree. They knew the risks... Or at least they do now.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 6:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I agree. They knew the risks... Or at least they do now.
In the 20 years I've been around most everything, with the exception of a criminal records, is forgiven of the spouse of a USC. Even overstay, working without authorization, use of a fraudulent ss#, etc. Yes, they are all crimes but not ones that they have been charged with prior to their AOS interview.

I'm a USC and I had to get my husband here for marriage and PR status through legal channels. Why is it different for me than for them?

I agree they knew the risks when they came and overstayed, lived, worked, married, had children, etc. So the risk caught up with a few. Marriage to a USC should not be a free pass cancelling out your past criminal behavior. If I were to kill someone but assist my neighbor in a life threatening situation that does negate my crime. So you paid taxes on money you weren't suppose to be earning. The government should pat you on the back and say "good boy"? I should feel for you because you have children? So you had unprotected sexual relations and the result was a child? Why is that a free pass?

Last edited by Rete; Apr 1st 2017 at 8:16 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

If you had been to Court and ordered deported you would have thought it might have registered.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 11:33 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

We should be maximizing happiness, not deporting people that have overstayed a visa and are now trying to get back into compliance. Deportation will separate US families and cause hardship. I would prefer to see a policy that seeks to keep families together rather than splitting them apart.
Old Apr 1st 2017, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nun
We should be maximizing happiness, not deporting people that have overstayed a visa and are now trying to get back into compliance. Deportation will separate US families and cause hardship. I would prefer to see a policy that seeks to keep families together rather than splitting them apart.
People who have gone through the system and its many layers and eventually ended up in Court and were ordered deported, which they ignored.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with the government deporting overstayers.

I, too, value the cohesion of my family - which is why I make sure our immigration situation is in full compliance with the law.

I don't just say - boy that looks like a lot of paperwork, and I don't feel like going down to the immigration office this morning. Stuff that.

I am a USC and the hoops I have to jump through for my wife to have a Green Card - why is "stuff that" not an option for me too then, if it is for others?

I do understand, "stuff that" is chosen on a few occasions not because of laziness but because someone would otherwise be inadmissable to the country, say because of prior criminal record. If they are inadmissable - they should go. You don't get squatters' rights, and be able to say "stuff that, I'm already here, so you can't make me go."

The thing is, these policies are there to protect both migrant and country. "Stuff that" is not on.

You see the problem. I suggest one reason for the volatile situation of electorates - in the US and Europe - is a lot of people choosing to break their backs trying to do the right thing and getting no reward, while others are saying "stuff that" with no consequence whatsoever. Then the supporters of those saying "stuff that," try to give an ethics lecture to those trying to do the right thing.

Not just with immigration. Also with things like Wall Street executives. They misappropriate millions, but can't be prosecuted because "what kind of message would that be sending to business in this economy?" Yet someone in New York who skips out on a $3 subway fare is having the full majesty of the law brought down on them.

Last edited by carcajou; Apr 2nd 2017 at 1:06 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 1:23 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by carcajou

Not just with immigration. Also with things like Wall Street executives. They misappropriate millions, but can't be prosecuted because "what kind of message would that be sending to business in this economy?" Yet someone in New York who skips out on a $3 subway fare is having the full majesty of the law brought down on them.
I would argue that a "utilitarian" approach is good in such circumstances. Deporting the non-resident spouse and separating them from their family hurts more innocent people than it punishes guilty ones. Also overstaying a visa is a small infraction. There is little public interest in ripping apart US families...it causes more harm than good. There is the law and then there is the just application of the law and I think ICE is being unjust in such cases.

Last edited by nun; Apr 2nd 2017 at 2:39 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.