Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US College issues for UK citizen living in USA

US College issues for UK citizen living in USA

Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US College issues for UK citizen living in USA

If you're looking in MA, there are boat load of decent colleges...all depends on what you're looking to study I suppose.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

BUpton is an unknown quantity at this point

My son wants to do engineering, and cost is a major consideration. UMass Lowell has a great engineering degree and this with the mistaken belief that we could get in state fees was very appealing. he has a very strong ACT mark 33, but not so strong GPA, he is a solid B student, but has amazing extra curricular achievements in leadership that are out of the normal. Im not sure where to look as the ACT and GPA are in different categories. He did not have a strong freshman year but has been taking AP and honors courses all the way through. Not sure what colleges are going to make of this and where to aim. very little guidance from the school. he is a strong interviewer.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BUpton
My son wants to do engineering, and cost is a major consideration. UMass Lowell has a great engineering degree and this with the mistaken belief that we could get in state fees was very appealing. he has a very strong ACT mark 33, but not so strong GPA, he is a solid B student, but has amazing extra curricular achievements in leadership that are out of the normal. Im not sure where to look as the ACT and GPA are in different categories. He did not have a strong freshman year but has been taking AP and honors courses all the way through. Not sure what colleges are going to make of this and where to aim. very little guidance from the school. he is a strong interviewer.
Our school did not help. They used to have a dedicated counselor for college applications, but she went in budget cuts. Some people hire private counselors.

He can just fill out the form to the best of his ability. If they have a section for extra curricular activities then obviously stress the leadership. If they require an essay, shape this to his strengths. I think it's unusual to interview here.

Presumably you are familiar with the College Board site:

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/get-in

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jul 2nd 2014 at 9:44 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

I think Sally the private colleges interview, state universities don't. Living in Weston everyone here as some kind of private counselors with unbelievably high fees so not an option unfortunately.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:18 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the 70's when I was in law school, I had a classmate who grew up in California. He did his undergraduate at University of Indiana and had to pay out-of-state tuition. After graduation, he returned to California to attend law school. Unfortunately, his parents has retired and moved to Florida. So California classified him as out of state! Fortunately, that applied only to his first year until he re-acquired California residence. In contrast Indiana did not allow a change in determination.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Oh NO!!!, sometimes its just too hard !!! glad to see things worked out:-)
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 10:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Our eldest is also in a "different" situation to most kids too - we moved here (Texas) last september and to our horror found out that the school district she goes to refuse to give any gpa or credit to any student who didn't study in that district. We fought it, got nowhere and it is now in the hands of a federal body to investigate discrimination (we are not the only family affected by this state law).

Anyway, we quickly realised that we would need a bit of extra help with college applications and found a very good private college counsellor who has been invaluable. I phoned up the colleges she wants to go to and explained the situation regarding gpa etc and in most cases they have been great. The larger colleges have said they are used to seeing this and will take her french school reports into account. Our counsellor advised our child to take every exam that she thought she would do well in and so she has...ACT, SAT, SAT subject (x3) as well as her normal AP and IB classes at school. Again, we got extra help with the SAT simply because she had never sat a MCQ exam before.
The way we look at this is that she has to put in a great deal of work to get where she wants to go, we moved her and so we also have to do our bit. So far, all seems to be working out but I guess we can't say anything for sure until the offers roll in...
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 12:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

My son wants to do engineering, and cost is a major consideration.
Looked at Harvard/MIT/BU/Franklin/Tufts/WPI? They've all got various grants and other bits and pieces that might be able to help out.

Looked into MEFA for help? - Student Savings, Loans & 529 College Plan | MEFA - Massachusetts Educational Financing Authority

Thing to look into, any outside school scholarship , that the money reduces cost of tuition to you, rather than getting taken out of loans eligibility, which is more a issue for state rather than private schools.

Oh and going out of state but local, RISD is a really good design/engineering type place in Rhode Island.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 1:14 am
Just Joined

Thanks Bob appreciate that! I will look into RISD, I did not know about them
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

NorthEastern is another engineering type place that's good...got a lovely campus, spread all over the green line I think it was

But yes, RISD is a nice place. Though you didn't say what kind of engineering you were looking into but worth a gander and it's closer to you than Amherst

Oh and Champlain College, in Vermont might be worth a look, depending on the engineering you're interested in. Good for the software/art/design side of things at least.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Brilliant thanks Bob will give those a look at
Thanks
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

Isnt Olin College, an engineering college? Its between Needham and Wellesley.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:24 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob appreciate that! I will look into RISD, I did not know about them
RISD is a top art school -- I wasn't aware that they did anything connected with engineering.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
RISD is a top art school -- I wasn't aware that they did anything connected with engineering.
Design work....it is more on the aesthetic side of things, but the OP never said what kind of engineering they were looking at.