State Tax

Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

england5954 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default State Tax

Try to make this as short as possible. Lived in Florida for 20 years. I have a brother who lives in the UK. After our father passed away last year, the house that my parents lived in was signed over to my brother an myself. We have a prospective buyer for the house. My question is, how does the taxes work for me. I know there will be capital gains tax in the UK, but not sure what I will need to do. Can anybody point me in the right direction. Don't think there is a qualified attorney/lawyer in Panama City that could help me out with this.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: State Tax

Originally Posted by england5954
Try to make this as short as possible. Lived in Florida for 20 years. I have a brother who lives in the UK. After our father passed away last year, the house that my parents lived in was signed over to my brother an myself. We have a prospective buyer for the house. My question is, how does the taxes work for me. I know there will be capital gains tax in the UK, but not sure what I will need to do. Can anybody point me in the right direction. Don't think there is a qualified attorney/lawyer in Panama City that could help me out with this.
You will have filed a 3520 for the inheritance and have a step up in basis.

Your liability on the gain since the date of death is to US income tax not UK CGT.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Comments, including but not limited to:
1. The receipt of the inheritance (share of the house) is not a taxable event for U.S. federal income tax purposes and there is no federal tax on receipt of inheritances. It appears that Florida does not have a State inheritance tax.

2. As someone else has said, a form 3520 must be filed with the IRS - but, as far as I know, only if the value of what has been received exceeds $100k. Which probably is the case if it's real estate in the U.K.

3. Perhaps research what the deemed value of the inheritance is. The IRS may consider a joint share of a house at 50% of the value (even if fair market value of a half-share of a property is much less than that).

4. Capital gains tax in the U.S. will be based on the difference between the value of the inheritance, and the sale proceeds. Both amounts converted into USD, at the relevant exchange rates. Depending on how long it has been since the inheritance, it may be a short term or long term capital gain.

5. Non-residents in the U.K. are currently not subject to U.K. capital gains tax on U.K. real estate, although this will likely change from 2015.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thank you both for responding so quickly. Have a lot of researching to do me thinks :-). Have already received some of the money from the estate. The house is what is going to be the headache.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 1:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you look for an accountant rather than a lawyer.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Already on the hunt for a CPA. Thanks.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 3:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Already on the hunt for a CPA. Thanks.
Perhaps note some/all of the following points:
Choosing a Tax Accountant-USA : British Expat Wiki

Last edited by JAJ; Jun 29th 2014 at 3:17 am.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Appreciate the link JAJ.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 2:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cook_County
You will have filed a 3520 for the inheritance and have a step up in basis. .....
Meaning your liability for CGT is based on the fair market value on the date you inherited it, not the historic cost.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea how Florida's state tax system works. That said, the Federal system taxes the estate, not the individual inheritance. Also, on the capital gains end of things, the Federal system has a tax free "step-up" in basis at time of death. If my spouse and I were sell our house, we would have a capital gains assessment [exacerbated by the previous "carry-overs" under prior law], but our kids will not be taxed on the capital gains if we die before sale. [My understanding is that the surviving spouse also gets the step-up].
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. The receipt of the inheritance (share of the house) is not a taxable event for U.S. federal income tax purposes and there is no federal tax on receipt of inheritances.

4. Capital gains tax in the U.S. will be based on the difference between the value of the inheritance, and the sale proceeds. Both amounts converted into USD, at the relevant exchange rates. Depending on how long it has been since the inheritance, it may be a short term or long term capital gain.
Does this mean that if the property's value does not change between date of inheritance and date of sale there will be no US federal tax to pay?

What happens when the OP brings that money into the US? Still the same tax treatment, i.e. if as above, then no federal tax to pay?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Does this mean that if the property's value does not change between date of inheritance and date of sale there will be no US federal tax to pay?

What happens when the OP brings that money into the US? Still the same tax treatment, i.e. if as above, then no federal tax to pay?
If the property value remains the same in Sterling there could still be a gain or loss is dollars depending on fluctuations in exchange rates; but costs of sale might assist reducing any gain for US tax purposes.

Bringing money to the US is not a taxable event.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

So then do we just show an appraisers letter to the IRS to prove fair market value at date of inheritance? If it is a non US property it seems pretty open to manipulation, no?

It's just that this seems too good to be true. I won't have to pay US tax on anything I inherit outside of the US and then sell.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:52 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by jmood
So then do we just show an appraisers letter to the IRS to prove fair market value at date of inheritance? If it is a non US property it seems pretty open to manipulation, no?
It's self-assessment so you don't have to show anything unless you are audited. If you are audited, then normally assets are valued as part of the probate process and you would submit a copy of that documentation as evidence of fair market value in foreign currency at time of inheritance. If you have to file a form 3520, this is also part of the process of establishing a cost base, to calculate capital gain on future sale.

Note that you should keep this evidence (of value at time of inheritance) permanently.

It's just that this seems too good to be true. I won't have to pay US tax on anything I inherit outside of the US and then sell.
Why is it too good to be true? It would be the same if you inherited property within the United States. Unless your state has an inheritance tax.