Jury Duty

Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jury Duty

Just completed my first Jury Duty requirement since becoming a cit.

When I say completed, that meant checking on the internet every night after 5.00 to see if I had to report. Checked each day and was told not to report for the following day and now that's me done after five days of reporting in.

Free, until next time
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jury Duty

I am innocent OK
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Bribes accepted graciously....
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Did it twice in the UK, including just before I emigrated.

Got out of a Children's Home Sex Abuse Trial ,which was expected to last 6 Months.......only because my Date to Emigrate had just been approved (Thank Goodness).
Old Jun 27th 2014, 1:05 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
Just completed my first Jury Duty requirement since becoming a cit.

When I say completed, that meant checking on the internet every night after 5.00 to see if I had to report. Checked each day and was told not to report for the following day and now that's me done after five days of reporting in.

Free, until next time
For those who are not in L.A., L.A. County has a "one day, one trial" rule for a term of jury duty. The summons requires one to be available for five court days and you check every evening if you have to appear the following day.

I've never made it past day 5 as did OP.

With one exception, I have only done the "one day" and, never having been empaneled, never did "one trial." That one exception involved being on the second voir dire of the day and being required to return the following day when it did not finish. So, I was paid for the second day -- $15.00!

On one voir dire, I was able to interpret the signs to see that the case was a major felony trial involving an altercation of some type with the police. When I was asked "can you trust the testimony of a policeman?" I responded that "I have never done criminal law, but I've had encounters with law enforcement in immigration practice. Most cops are quite honest, just the facts. However, a few do 'testi-lie.' So, case by case." I was the DA's second peremptory challenge [after a criminal defense lawyer].

I know a former DA who was summonsed shortly after he went into private practice. Knowing that there was no way in Hell he would be empaneled, he was quite surprised when he made it onto the jury! Afterwards, knowing the lawyers on both sides he asked them "WTF!" and was told "we know you, you are a straight shooter and we trusted you." From what I understand, it was a complicated case and both sides felt that a knowledgable person in the jury room who would bend over backwards not to be an undue influence would be a good thing. Also, both sides were satisfied with the verdict. Interesting.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like they have streamlined a bit, and not a bunch of wasted days sitting in a courthouse doing nothing waiting to see if your called or not.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:51 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Never called in the UK, and never called here either (citizen for seven years).

Mrs P has been called three (plus one recall) times, served on one jury. The last time she was called she was five (five!) months pregnant and asked to be excused. ..... The judge declined to excuse her, but gave her a three (three!!!! ) month deferral. She decided that she'd sooner serve on a jury eight months pregnant than with a two month old baby. .... When she reported the clerk of court asked WTF she was reporting!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:35 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am innocent OK
The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Never got called in the UK despite 27 years of eligibility there and always wanted to see what it was like. (Still to file my N-400 here.) OH is a dual US/Irish citizen so eligible in the UK and did get called there about a year before we moved here.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I've been called 4 times, been through jury questioning 3 times and selected once. Fortunately the case only lasted 2 days.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I had to report once. Had what I thought was a high number (#58 I think) but they actually made it all the way to #45 before the jury was finally selected. I was sweating because we were told that the trial was scheduled to last "at least" 3 days. Turned out it lasted 10 days. Lucky escape!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Do you still get paid by your employer when on jury duty? I've always wanted to do it for a good case because I think I'd find it interesting.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cardienscarf
The lady doth protest too much, me thinks.
Is it because I is handsome?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Was on two cases in the UK, my biggest fear after getting my US citizenship is that I'll be called up for a state case and have to go to one of the awkward courts downtown for weeks.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Was on two cases in the UK, my biggest fear after getting my US citizenship is that I'll be called up for a state case and have to go to one of the awkward courts downtown for weeks.
Isn't that the truth. We're always more concerned about finding parking or having to get up an hour earlier than the actual sitting on the jury bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.