Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

US citizen sponsor sister to come to US...

US citizen sponsor sister to come to US...

Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of
Question US citizen sponsor sister to come to US...

After a long time I should be a US citizen in the semi near future... I was just interested how long it would take for me to sponsor my sister to
come here?

Just thinking long term... She isn't in a rush.. Good job as I think I can take many years right?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen sponsor sister to come to US...

They're currently processing those who applied in January 2000. CIR may well do away with this category. She shouldn't pack her bags yet.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They're currently processing those who applied in January 2000. CIR may well do away with this category. She shouldn't pack her bags yet.
thank you.. I had thought it took that long. It's just an idea now as after my parents pass on she won't really have any family in uk and this could be an option. Actually it taking that long would be fine.

Good to know they may be doing away with the catagory... I'll get on with it so she has options in the future. Thank you
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
thank you.. I had thought it took that long. It's just an idea now as after my parents pass on she won't really have any family in uk and this could be an option. Actually it taking that long would be fine.

Good to know they may be doing away with the catagory... I'll get on with it so she has options in the future. Thank you
No idea what they'll do with those in the line if they scrap it. But I'd hurry up and get her in it just in case. Coz if you ain't in, you can't win. You can file as you leave the naturalisation ceremony.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

File for her as soon as you get your citizenship. If her priority date becomes current before she needs to use it, she can always get the visa, enter the US and return to the UK for up to 2 years. Citing the need to care for elderly parents should be a good reason for being outside of the US for that length of time. Just have her open a bank account and you or she can deposit funds (small amounts) into it periodically and she can file her US taxes from the UK. Won't be any tax owed normally with the tax agreement in place.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
File for her as soon as you get your citizenship. If her priority date becomes current before she needs to use it, she can always get the visa, enter the US and return to the UK for up to 2 years. Citing the need to care for elderly parents should be a good reason for being outside of the US for that length of time. Just have her open a bank account and you or she can deposit funds (small amounts) into it periodically and she can file her US taxes from the UK. Won't be any tax owed normally with the tax agreement in place.
Thank you ... I appreciate the replies. Now I need to find put the forms I need!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ... I appreciate the replies. Now I need to find put the forms I need!

www.uscis.org

Form I-130. G325A
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I Am a U.S. Citizen How Do I… Help My Relative Become a U.S. Permanent Resident?