Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dual passport

Dual passport

Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

diane67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Dual passport

Hi, I feel silly asking but my Grandad is American and my mum is English, my mum has a half brother in america plus lots of cousins, nephews etc. I would like to move to America North Carolina where our family lives but i dont know where to begin. Is there a thing such as dual nationality and if my mum was dual nationality would i then qualify as my mum would be part American by law and would that be suffice go down the family route visa. Thank you anybody who can help. :
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual passport

How old are you? Are you married? And did your mother ever live in the USA?
Old Feb 14th 2010, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
How old are you? Are you married? And did your mother ever live in the USA?
43, married with 2 children. Mum has never lived in the US,
Thanks.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diane67
Is there a thing such as dual nationality...
Indeed there is. Many of us here have dual UK/US citizenship.

if my mum was dual nationality would i then qualify as my mum would be part American by law and would that be suffice go down the family route visa.
Is your grandfather also your mother's father (you allude to it, but don't actually say)? If so, she may be a US citizen - depending on whether or not your grandfather was in a position to pass citizenship to her. However, if she's never lived in the US, she would not be able to pass citizenship to you. Further, now that you're over 18 by a little bit () I'm pretty sure that avenue is closed to you... *unless* your mom chooses to move (not visit) to the US (assuming, of course, that she's a USC).

I would like to move to America North Carolina where our family lives...
Sadly, none of your US-based family is a close enough relative to sponsor you for a family-based visa. Sorry!

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 14th 2010 at 10:24 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Dual passport

Thankyou to all of you who responded to my question. My Grandad has now passed away sadly and i never got the chance to meet him but i am close to my cousins in America North Carolina. My Grandad was a G.I. and sadly my mum was too late in finding him as he died young. My mum is close to her relatives in North Carolina and visits them twice a year. I could only hope that there would be some way to live there. Again thankyou for your replies.: