Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:26 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

Originally Posted by Manc
it's a bloody outrage alright.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Chaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really nice

I agree that people should check the pump price before refuelling, especially as these two garages do not advertise their prices - if they did they would likely as not see a drop in tourists/out of state US residents lashing out on their fuel.

Yes Sally - bears shit in the woods, but what that has to do with petrol prices is a bit confusing!

Leslie, I guess not too many people shop for Kotex (unless it is a real emergency, or they are so excited at the $5.49 per gallon price of the petrol that they want to soak up a load ), at a 7-11 when they can go to Walmart. They can get their petrol at Walmart too - a Kotex/petrol outing

As has already been said, these garages are not breaking the law but their morals in aiming at tourists and the unsuspecting public leave a lot to be desired. There again as these owners have complained that errecting signage would be way too expensive. coupled with their attorney fee's for suing the City, they probably need more tourists to part with their hard earned cash.

Last edited by Chaufeurse; Mar 9th 2011 at 9:51 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:48 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chaufeurse
As has already been said, these garages are not breaking the law but their morals in aiming at tourists and the unsuspecting public leave a lot to be desired.
I don't think anyone is arguing with that, but it's hardly anything new. You need to be an informed traveler no matter where you are going.

Hint: The money changers right outside the airport in Tegucigalpa don't give the same rate as the bank, and you might get ripped off. You should carry your own pocket calculator and not hand over your dollars too quickly.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:55 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

the barmen in Ireland charge 16 euro's a pint of guiness to unsuspecting American tourists.........
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Manc
the barmen in Ireland charge 16 euro's a pint of guiness to unsuspecting American tourists.........
Shame on them feckers too then! So many seem to think the definition of the word 'tourist' is 'lets rip 'em off for all we can'.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

but their morals in aiming at tourists and the unsuspecting public leave a lot to be desired.
Anywhere in the world tourists get ripped off. Fact of life.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Shame on them feckers too then! So many seem to think the definition of the word 'tourist' is 'lets rip 'em off for all we can'.
Another shameful ripoff in the US is to add taxes to car rentals and hotels that specifically pay for local sports stadia etc. Definitely a case of "taxation without representation".
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

<snip> Leslie, I guess not too many people shop for Kotex (unless it is a real emergency, or they are so excited at the $5.49 per gallon price of the petrol that they want to soak up a load ), at a 7-11 when they can go to Walmart. They can get their petrol at Walmart too - a Kotex/petrol outing

<snip>
Believe me, I've paid the piper at 7-11 more than once. Normally due to my own poor planning and/or unfamiliarity with the area. It happens. It happens more when you're a tourist.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

I always pay for the gas at time of hire and leave it with fumes.A lot safer and easier.Some that I've left, they must have had to put some gas out of a jerry can in to get it theirs depots for cleaning.They are the ones who say bring it back empty, OK then !
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
I always pay for the gas at time of hire and leave it with fumes.A lot safer and easier.Some that I've left, they must have had to put some gas out of a jerry can in to get it theirs depots for cleaning.They are the ones who say bring it back empty, OK then !
Great plan, the price is usually around $5.39/gal when you do that.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Great plan, the price is usually around $5.39/gal when you do that.
It's a bad idea for a couple of other reasons too. Firstly, in many states that pre-paid gas will be subject to all the taxes applied to other rental charges. And secondly, it's tricky returning the car completely devoid of gas, so most people end up donating some gas to the rental car company.

What I've got in the habit of doing, is noting where gas stations are located as I leave after having picked the car up. Then I'm not hunting for a non-gouging place to fill up at when I am returning to the airport.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:21 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Definitely a case of "taxation without representation".
Most of the folk on here are victims of that.....Just the yanks getting their own back I guess.....
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Anywhere in the world tourists get ripped off. Fact of life.
Golf course I used to go to in Singapore was very up front about it.....

Locals - $50
Foreigners - $70
Japanese - $90
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't they have the prices on the pump?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:45 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Golf course I used to go to in Singapore was very up front about it.....

Locals - $50
Foreigners - $70
Japanese - $90
Zimbabwe used to be the same. Locals paid in Zim dollars, everyone else US dollars. So a hotel which charged the locals $100 Zim for a room, charged visitors $100US.

I used to give the farm address and get local rates until they started to ask for Zim ID cards. Fortunately they were available for a price.