Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Chaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really nice
Default URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

Hi All,

Please take note if you are travelling to Orlando soon that there has been a story on ABC News today, Tues 8th March 2011, regarding at least one garage (Suncoast Energy) that is apparently very close to the airport who are currently charging $5.39 for a gallon of fuel. At the time of my typing this report petrol in Florida is an average of $3.60. You can see the video news report here:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/gas-p...ry?id=13080892

Apparently this station does not show it's prices on a board at the entrance to the garage - nor does a garage directly opposite. The advice is if there are no visible prices then either find another garage or check the pump before filling up your vehicle.

It is also apparent that this station, and the one opposite, is very close to the airport where tourists driving to the airport appear to stop to fill up the tank for returning their vehicles to the car hire company. I understand that some car hire companies need to see a receipt to say you have filled up the tank within 10 miles of the airport. Apparently there is a garage on Boggy Creek who are within that 10 mile zone and who charge the usual $3.60 or whatever it will be at the time considering petrol is increasing on an almost daily basis at the moment.

Orlando's Mayor is far from happy about the situation but said that garages can basically charge whatever they wish.

Please, do not be ripped off by these garages.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URGENT WARNING - PETROL GOUGING NEAR ORLANDO AIRPORT

Any Gas Station near a major airport gouges people, because they know that people are returning rental cars.

In many cases, it is more economical to pre-purchase fuel and return it with a near-empty tank.

I wonder what is the Nationality of the Rip-Off Merchants gouging the gullible.

Jim.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Chaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Any Gas Station near a major airport gouges people, because they know that people are returning rental cars.

In many cases, it is more economical to pre-purchase fuel and return it with a near-empty tank.

Jim.
Hi Jim,

If you check out the video in the link (I'm guessing you probably already have ) and see who the reporter is talking to I think that may give a hint!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chaufeurse
Hi Jim,

If you check out the video in the link (I'm guessing you probably already have ) and see who the reporter is talking to I think that may give a hint!
I didn't watch it.......But, then again, I didn't need to

Jim.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I would have though the solution was straightforward:- require gas stations to display prices on boards so that they are clearly visible from the road. Too bad that this doesn't appear to be the case in Florida.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

steve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nicesteve100100 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I would have though the solution was straightforward:- require gas stations to display prices on boards so that they are clearly visible from the road. Too bad that this doesn't appear to be the case in Florida.
I thought this was federal law? Never seen one that didn't.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Apparently, according to another website, both stations were required to post their prices on signage by the City of Orlando last year, but, the poster said they believed one was successful in obtaining an injunction against this. The link below is a story that made the news regarding this in June 2010. Their pleading that it is too expensive, and against their constitutional rights, for the City to enforce signage, but to then pay for an attorney to represent them, brings a tear to the eye! There is also a comparison made regarding the price of a burger at McDonalds at the airport compared to a McDonalds half a mile down the road. I know eating a McDonalds can induce gas.....but at what cost!!

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/...ND0610102.aspx

It appears these two garages have had significantly higher prices for approx 2 year. I'm guessing that this must be due to the amount of tourists who refuel there due to the close proximity of garage to airport. I'd head on down to Boggy Creek and fill up if that's what it takes if I was in that area and knew about these two garages.

I might be a million miles wrong but the only reason, in my humble opinion, that a garage would appeal against signage prices is because they know their prices, and possibly morals, stink!

Last edited by Chaufeurse; Mar 9th 2011 at 4:02 am.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
What is it?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

The Suncoast on Semoran drive is very well know to the locals. The problem is that it is across the street from most of the rental car return lots (at least the cheaper off-airport ones) and most people assume the price is going to be somewhat the same as most other places. I have to admit I have filled up there in the past, in full knowledge of the price, as it was convenient, and it was on the company credit card for only a few gallons of gas during a day of local driving so going to a cheaper gas station was not all that productive.

- Tim
Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TimFountain
The Suncoast on Semoran drive is very well know to the locals. The problem is that it is across the street from most of the rental car return lots (at least the cheaper off-airport ones) and most people assume the price is going to be somewhat the same as most other places. I have to admit I have filled up there in the past, in full knowledge of the price, as it was convenient, and it was on the company credit card for only a few gallons of gas during a day of local driving so going to a cheaper gas station was not all that productive.

- Tim
If tourists feel one of these garages are the last option then I would fill the tank up before leaving for the airport and then simply top it up again at one of them - but only if you have to show a receipt to prove you have ensured the tank is full within the 10 mile radius that some of the hire companies request. I guess it all depends on how far away from the airport you are and what the gauge shows when you get to the airport. Might only be necessary to top up by a gallon.

As it seems these garages have had these high prices for at least two years it is obviously working for them. The ABC report has highlighted them again, but only for a short time perhaps.

I had to smile at the analogy one owner quoted between them and McDonalds!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What is it?
some bleedin immigrant

hardly newsworthy ... same story 2 years ago
http://www.ripoffreport.com/oil-comp...nerg-8b3pp.htm

or 3 years ago
http://gregorybeamer.wordpress.com/2...t-gas-rip-off/

Last edited by Ray; Mar 9th 2011 at 7:34 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
some bleedin immigrant

hardly newsworthy ... same story 2 years ago
http://www.ripoffreport.com/oil-comp...nerg-8b3pp.htm

or 3 years ago
http://gregorybeamer.wordpress.com/2...t-gas-rip-off/
Urgent - bears shit in woods.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

if someone charges $5 a gallon of gas

and someone buys $5 a gallon gas

then how is it gouging......... especially in this land of the make a fast buck and shit on anyone whom you happen to screw over in the process.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
if someone charges $5 a gallon of gas

and someone buys $5 a gallon gas

then how is it gouging......... especially in this land of the make a fast buck and shit on anyone whom you happen to screw over in the process.
Seriously. 7-11 charges $10 for the same box of Kotex that you can get at Walmart for $2.

Where's the outrage?

Last edited by Leslie; Mar 9th 2011 at 9:17 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Seriously. 7-11 charges $10 for the same box of Kotex that you can get at Walmart for $2.

Where's the outrage?
it's a bloody outrage alright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.