Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Old May 30th 2011, 4:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Originally Posted by Sleepy1
Yes, I've read it, the office in Denver told me they can't give me an emergency pp as my expired one is too old, one of the old Blue ones, if I had a new one that had expired they can do that but not with the Blue ones, they cannot retrieve any info on the Blue pp's on their computers, so I must apply for a brand new one, I'd love to hear from someone if what I'm being told is wrong but I've also called the Embassy (in the UK) and everytime they've told me the exact same thing so I am stuck.

Think I'm still going to see if there's something else I can do though Monday.
will call the Embassy again too.
Although Dean, British Consul does not recommend it I have read of others on these forums that have entered the UK using an expired UK PP. You would certainly be detained at the UK airport upon entry until they determine that you are indeed a UK citizen...but as a Brit you cannot be denied entry to the UK. I think the main problem is the airline...they probably would not allow you to board if you do not have a valid PP. You could contact the airline and ask...if they say yes I would certainly get it in writing and take it with you to the airport...along with a letter from your sister's consultant. You could then apply for a UK PP while you're in the UK. Of course you would have to allow time for this before making your return trip back to the US.
Old May 30th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Although Dean, British Consul does not recommend it I have read of others on these forums that have entered the UK using an expired UK PP. You would certainly be detained at the UK airport upon entry until they determine that you are indeed a UK citizen...but as a Brit you cannot be denied entry to the UK. I think the main problem is the airline...they probably would not allow you to board if you do not have a valid PP. You could contact the airline and ask...if they say yes I would certainly get it in writing and take it with you to the airport...along with a letter from your sister's consultant. You could then apply for a UK PP while you're in the UK. Of course you would have to allow time for this before making your return trip back to the US.
An added problem would be getting past the TSA.

Jim.
Old May 30th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think the main problem is the airline...they probably would not allow you to board if you do not have a valid PP.
No airline is going to let her board with an expired passport, let alone one with the details filled in by hand.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
No airline is going to let her board with an expired passport, let alone one with the details filled in by hand.
IATA's database says that an expired British citizen passport is acceptable:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

One would need to get a written confirmation from the airline, but there is no reason why they should not refer to the same source.

Next question becomes what document is needed to get back to the USA, but the same resource says a passport is not needed if a valid green card is held.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
An added problem would be getting past the TSA.

Jim.
Originally Posted by Marocco
Just saying what other people have posted...that they have indeed been able to fly back to the UK using an expired PP. As I said Dean does not recommend this.

Originally Posted by JAJ
IATA's database says that an expired British citizen passport is acceptable:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...tion/index.jsp

One would need to get a written confirmation from the airline, but there is no reason why they should not refer to the same source.

Next question becomes what document is needed to get back to the USA, but the same resource says a passport is not needed if a valid green card is held.
Exactly.

A new UK PP could be obtained while they are in the UK...quicker and much cheaper than here in the US. Again several people have posted that they have done this in the past. Of course they will have to make sure they have time to get their PP back before their return trip.
Old May 30th 2011, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's a public holiday in the UK and the US on Monday, so I doubt that you will be able to speak with anyone, unless they have staff on hand to deal with emergencies...?
Our Global Response Centre in London answers calls to the emergency lines when our Consulates are closed (Orlando is open today btw).

I'm afraid this wouldn't be regarded as an emergency though as the OP has failed to maintain a passport record which would entitle her to get an Emergency Travel Document.

Best bet would be to write to the Regional Passport Production Centre Manager in Washington and make a case or apply in the UK (using a UK address) for a new passport.

Dean
Old May 30th 2011, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
How did you manage to leave the US and enter the UK to get your new British passport behind Victoria Station in London? Do you also have a US or other country passport?
I got an emergency passport (single sheet of paper good for re-entering the UK once only) from the British Consulate in New York.

Kind of ironic as the day before I had joked with DH 'Shall we go back to the British Consulate for old times' sake?' because last time we were in New York it was to get his UK Spouse visa. Never joke about these things! That's exactly where we ended up except this time it was for me not for him!