British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/urgent-help-needed-sick-sister-how-do-i-get-passport-quickly-718666/)

Sleepy1 May 28th 2011 2:11 am

Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

My sister back in England had a massive stroke earlier this week, she has heart problems too, which no one knew about, which caused the stroke,I have one of the old passports (Blue) and when I called about getting a new one I was told as it's been kaput for over 10 years, sorry , no way to get an emergency travel document to get over there, I have to send off all papers for a new passport to D.C. which will take 4-6 weeks, are you kidding me!!!!???

Told them this is an emergency but still the answer is no because of the old passport.

I can get a letter faxed over from my sisters neuro Dr saying what's happened but does anyone know how I can get a new passport quite quickly?

Apparantely, can't go to D.C. and walk in as they don't do that anymore.

My sister has damage to both sides of her brain, she opened her eyes yesterday but she is unresponsive, what the heck do I do????:(:(

Jerseygirl May 28th 2011 2:16 am

Re: Urgent help needed

Originally Posted by Sleepy1 (Post 9392710)
My sister back in England had a massive stroke earlier this week, she has heart problems too, which no one knew about, which caused the stroke,I have one of the old passports (Blue) and when I called about getting a new one I was told as it's been kaput for over 10 years, sorry , no way to get an emergency travel document to get over there, I have to send off all papers for a new passport to D.C. which will take 4-6 weeks, are you kidding me!!!!???

Told them this is an emergency but still the answer is no because of the old passport.

I can get a letter faxed over from my sisters neuro Dr saying what's happened but does anyone know how I can get a new passport quite quickly?

Apparantely, can't go to D.C. and walk in as they don't do that anymore.

My sister has damage to both sides of her brain, she opened her eyes yesterday but she is unresponsive, what the heck do I do????:(:(

Why can't you get an emergency PP? Have you been in touch with your nearest Consulate?

BTW from what I've read on here passports are taking about 2 to 3 months.

Sally Redux May 28th 2011 2:18 am

Those blue passports ceased to be issued in 1988.

Jerseygirl May 28th 2011 2:34 am

Do you by any chance have a US PP?

Sleepy1 May 28th 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9392715)
Why can't you get an emergency PP? Have you been in touch with your nearest Consulate?

BTW from what I've read on here passports are taking about 2 to 3 months.

No, unfortunately don't have a US one either, we were trying to see if it'd be quicker for me to get one of those but it seems longer.

Yes, talked to someone at the Denver office who do issue emergency passports but they said because mine is so old, they don't issue emergency papers on those, I was told they do not have any info anymore on the computers concerning the old passports, eg: they cannot see who I am/if it's truly me, etc so I have to apply as if I've never had one. (new passport)

Last time in UK was 1993, family always comes here...I kept putting off getting another pp and now this has happened.

There has to be a way to get a new passport quickly, for an emergency?

Bob May 28th 2011 2:43 am

Getting on the plane might be a problem, you as a UK citizen, you should be allowed into the country with proof of who you are, birth cert would help too I'd guess.

Wouldn't help you get back into the US if you're a duel citizen as you'd need US passport to exit/enter...but should be able to get a US passport quite quickly...if you're only a LPR, valid greencard would be all you need to re-enter the US.

Jerseygirl May 28th 2011 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Sleepy1 (Post 9392735)
No, unfortunately don't have a US one either, we were trying to see if it'd be quicker for me to get one of those but it seems longer.

Yes, talked to someone at the Denver office who do issue emergency passports but they said because mine is so old, they don't issue emergency papers on those, I was told they do not have any info anymore on the computers concerning the old passports, eg: they cannot see who I am/if it's truly me, etc so I have to apply as if I've never had one. (new passport)

Last time in UK was 1993, family always comes here...I kept putting off getting another pp and now this has happened.

I thought you could get a US PP expedited within a few days. You may be able to go to your nearest US PP office and get one the same day. I'm sure people have posted about this before.

MsElui May 28th 2011 2:47 am

its true that you cant simply 'renew' a passport thats is well expired - as you have to go through the whole 'process as if its your first - which can include an interview nowadays if your one of the unlucky random ones. So its better to keep them renewed all the time if you can.

Its actually like you have NO passport at all in their eyes - so i dont think they would be able to give you emergency travel docs in that case. I would definetly try and speak to someone at the consulate to be sure though.

Not trying to be daft here- but have you any other passport you could use - ie are you now a us citizen as you have been here a while- if you are you could probably do an new expedited us passport same day if you were prepared to travel to their offices.

MsElui May 28th 2011 2:49 am

ive heard people who got their citizenship cert go the next day and got same day their first us passport. you might have to travel to a regional center but it def can be done. just make sure you have every necessary document.

Jerseygirl May 28th 2011 2:58 am

Sleepy1...even if you had a UK PP as a US citizen you are required to leave and enter the US using a US PP. If you wish to visit the UK you need to make obtaining a US PP a priority. You can enter the UK using your US PP as a visitor.

I'm assuming from what you've said that you are a USC...perhaps you could confirm please.

meauxna May 28th 2011 3:23 am

ARE you a US citizen, and where do you live?

edit. Well, you've logged out. If you are a US citizen, you can get a same-day passport at a regional office. I have done this and it works if you can get yourself to one of the offices.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npi...edule_852.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/npi...ncies_913.html

It's the simplest solution I can think of if you are a USC.

penguinsix May 28th 2011 8:54 am

What Meauxana said...

A US passport can be obtained in a day or even 'same day' in an emergency situation. You can do it yourself at the passport center or hire a "passport expeditor". I use A. Briggs in Washington for my renewals and whatnot.

http://www.abriggs.com/

Giantaxe May 28th 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Urgent help needed - Sick sister. How do I get a Passport quickly?

This thread emphasizes how important it is for ex-pats always to maintain a current passport that allows them to exit and enter the US. You never know when you might need it.

nethead May 28th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 9393712)
This thread emphasizes how important it is for ex-pats always to maintain a current passport that allows them to exit and enter the US. You never know when you might need it.

True! I must get my US passport sorted out as my UK one is expired.

meauxna May 28th 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by nethead (Post 9393802)
True! I must get my US passport sorted out as my UK one is expired.

OK, this is the second time today I've said this.. :o
D-day is tomorrow and I swore I'd never let it expire again.