Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Originally Posted by GranttGillingg
Hi,

I have wanted to move to America ever since I can remember. I am currently 15 and have decided to research Visas and have found out it's not as easy as I once imagined.

I am really stressed at the moment because my dream has been shattered.

Is there any path/career I can go down to move to preferably USA or Canada?

I want to be a journo but also an architect, and the latter is the best path for a Visa in the USA I've heard.

Thanks.
1) Have you ever been to America? If so, how many times and where etc.

2) Just because they might want architects now...doesn't mean they will after you've done a year of GCSE's, 2 years A Levels and 7 years of a degree plus a few years experience to make you more elligable than an America.

3) Meet and marryng an American girl (or guy - depending on which state you move to) is your best option.

4) Canada is easier. You can go for two years without any qualifications. Will make it easier to meet that American.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jg2802
3) Meet and marryng an American girl (or guy - depending on which state you move to) is your best option.
I know never assume, but assuming by the OP's user name, he's a bloke, he'd need to meet a bird. It's a Federal thing, not a state thing. For now, at least.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jg2802
1) Have you ever been to America? If so, how many times and where etc.

2) Just because they might want architects now...doesn't mean they will after you've done a year of GCSE's, 2 years A Levels and 7 years of a degree plus a few years experience to make you more elligable than an America.

4) Canada is easier. You can go for two years without any qualifications. Will make it easier to meet that American.
It does not take 7 years to get a degree in the UK. Typically an under grad takes 3 years...masters another year.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

jg2802 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It does not take 7 years to get a degree in the UK. Typically an under grad takes 3 years...masters another year.
...with the exception of a medical degree being 5 years and an architect degree at 7

ETA. Although I think it is 3 or 4 year degree but its a total of 7 years with training and no pay! A few of my friends do it. They explained it to me once over a lot of beer; I wasn't really paying attention

ETA 2. Just rang someone to ask them - 3 yr degree then work for a year mainly as a skivvy then a two year diploma then a final exam thing by some architect society or something...then you are a qualified architect in need of experience before they let you apply for a visa!

Last edited by jg2802; Oct 23rd 2011 at 1:28 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:43 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Aye, but architecture, to practice, you're studying 7 years before you get certified by the guild, society, whatever it's called.

As mentioned above, it's the degree, it's an accredited internship, which these days is often paid, then it's a bit more study and experience work that needs to be logged before you can get certified to practice solo. Other wise, all you are is a draftsman and an apprentice.

A mates brother got as far as that final exam, failed it and jacked it all in as he only did it to please the dad.....became a sports reporter for the beeb and covered tennis and football, his passions and now a independent living it up in Argentina

Anyway, being accredited in the UK probably won't do much for the US as building standards and the way they do things here are so massively different.