British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/upset-about-my-dream-american-immigration-being-shattered-736207/)

GranttGillingg Oct 19th 2011 3:08 pm

Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Hi,

I have wanted to move to America ever since I can remember. I am currently 15 and have decided to research Visas and have found out it's not as easy as I once imagined.

I am really stressed at the moment because my dream has been shattered.

Is there any path/career I can go down to move to preferably USA or Canada?

I want to be a journo but also an architect, and the latter is the best path for a Visa in the USA I've heard.

Thanks.

Mummy in the foothills Oct 19th 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Upset about my dream of American immigration being shattered

Stay in school
Go to Uni
Do really really well and exceed everyone's expectations
Get a job with a multinational corporation and get a transfer or have a skill thats in need and get a job based on your degrees and experience.
You've got lots of time to do it all. Good luck.

Captain Cheesestick Oct 19th 2011 3:32 pm

Go to university. Meet and sexually impress an American girl. Do this repeatedly. If you have any difficulty in doing this pick a random American girl and buy her a cider and black at the Uni bar. A year later you will have a Fiance Visa, a degree and will be posting on the US forum about how much you are craving a pork pie.

It's that easy.

Englishman43 Oct 19th 2011 3:40 pm

Do your research about life in the US and be open minded when you do. The US is like EVERY other country it's got it's good points and bad, the streets aren't paved with gold , there wont be people throwing their cash and nubile young daughters at you every 5 minutes. It's got immigration, financial & social problems just like the U.K.

That being said get a great education and maybe look at going to Uni over here -who knows what doors that may open.

Good luck mate !

Bob Oct 19th 2011 4:32 pm

Your 15.

The world is your oyster. Don't give up now if this is what you want, it can easily be something you can work towards.

Enjoy life and don't stress it, because once you've left school, life's a bitch, then you die.

Rete Oct 19th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9683834)
Stay in school
Go to Uni
Do really really well and exceed everyone's expectations
Get a job with a multinational corporation and get a transfer or have a skill thats in need and get a job based on your degrees and experience.
You've got lots of time to do it all. Good luck.

+1

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex (Post 9683849)
Go to university. Meet and sexually impress an American girl. Do this repeatedly. If you have any difficulty in doing this pick a random American girl and buy her a cider and black at the Uni bar. A year later you will have a Fiance Visa, a degree and will be posting on the US forum about how much you are craving a pork pie.

It's that easy.

-1 for suggestion but +1 for humour

Anian Oct 19th 2011 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Herpes Simplex (Post 9683849)

It's that easy.

I can personally vouch for this method (without the cider and black, and it wasn't intentional).

I'd recommend having some extended holidays in the US first though, maybe backpack around. It is not like TV/movies, and Florida is not representative of the whole country. You might not like it.

ian-mstm Oct 19th 2011 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by GranttGillingg (Post 9683805)
I am really stressed at the moment because my dream has been shattered.

Sorry about the shattered dream... but at least you are now starting to look at US immigration with realistic expectations.

Is there any path/career I can go down to move to preferably USA or Canada?
You probably won't like this, but let me offer you a bit of advice... don't ever - EVER - follow a career path to satisfy immigration. You'll be much happier if you do something you enjoy.

I want to be a journo but also an architect, and the latter is the best path for a Visa in the USA I've heard.
Respectfully, you've heard wrong. If you're dead set on a career that'll get you a visa to the US... become a physician and then strive to work in an underserved area.

Ian

E3only Oct 19th 2011 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9683966)
+1

:thumbsup::thumbsup: :rofl::rofl:

GeoffM Oct 19th 2011 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9683966)

I actually thought it quite funny - and not entirely insensible. After all, all the seasoned posters on here seem to advocate marriage, so why is shagging an American senseless in the UK any different except legitimising their relationship long before any US immigration is attempted?

To the OP: You're so young. Your dreams can be made if you follow the right path. Being so young, and immigration so flexible, that path may well be undefined at the moment. But as others have said, work hard at your education, whatever it might be.

ljaw2002uk Oct 19th 2011 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 9684722)
I actually thought it quite funny - and not entirely insensible. After all, all the seasoned posters on here seem to advocate marriage, so why is shagging an American senseless in the UK any different except legitimising their relationship long before any US immigration is attempted?

To the OP: You're so young. Your dreams can be made if you follow the right path. Being so young, and immigration so flexible, that path may well be undefined at the moment. But as others have said, work hard at your education, whatever it might be.

And may I add - don't break the law!

Brigette Oct 19th 2011 11:10 pm

I agree with everyone else. An education is your best bet in migrating to the US. Don't be discouraged! Stay strong, work very hard and I'm sure you'll make it happen

kimilseung Oct 19th 2011 11:14 pm

By the time you are of an age to attempt to enter America as an immigrant, you may find that your desires are taking you in a new direction. Education as has been said, may help in regard to America, but will not be lost on whatever you end up trying to pursue.

Have you traveled much in your 15 years? there is a whole world out there, full of interest, you might want to give the rest of the globe a chance before too.

penguinsix Oct 20th 2011 12:27 am

You have so many options that most people who want to come to America but can't would kill or die to be in your shoes.

1) Education. If you can afford it, you can come to the US and study for University. If you can't afford it, you can go to Uni in the UK and do one year as an 'exchange' student in the US studying here. If that doesn't work, you can do a BUNAC visit for awhile. If that's not an option, you can come over for a one year master's degree after you finish your school there, and then work for a year getting "practical work training" in which you wow an employer and they sponsor you for something more.

2) After graduation you work for a UK-US company who has offices in both places. Spend a couple of years in the UK and then get transferred to the US office.

3) After graduation, you make a name for yourself and build a portfolio of work that would impressive enough for an American company to sponsor you for a visa.

4) You meet some American girl who loves your accent and everything about you and marries you.

As you can see, with most of these options an education is really important. I would NOT study to be a journalist in this day and age of major media collapse pretty much the world over. I would study architecture or even a hard science (i.e. engineering, medicine, law) to enhance your chances of not only immigrating but getting a decent job. (It's a lot easier to be an engineer who changes to a journalist than a journalist who changes careers to be an engineer).

So don't give up hope at 15. You still have a lot of options ahead of you.

Sally Redux Oct 20th 2011 12:53 am

Don't understand how your dream has been 'shattered' :confused: