Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

upakweship any good?

upakweship any good?

Old Jun 8th 2003, 3:54 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future
Default upakweship any good?

Moving to US in Oct having discussed it to death with my wife(USC) we finally decided we would sell all our stuff here in the UK except for books, clothes, pictures and a few knick knacs and move first to my wifes parents place in Misissippi the move on in the new year once i get my papers, driving licence etc sorted out.

We found the Upakweship site and they seem like they might be considerably cheaper than say pickfords.

Has anyone used them before? are they any good? did stuff turn up as promised or was it damaged?

interested in anoyones comments,

regards,

Duncan.

Ps.Patrick i am in much better form today so no arguing this time i promise!
Old Jun 8th 2003, 7:36 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Could you please let me know how they charge? Is it per cubic ft, or weight and how much they charge?
Many thanks
Old Jun 9th 2003, 7:43 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't used them yet, but they did come round to give me a quote and I found them helpful and polite. They quoted me approx £1800 for 5 cubic feet of boxes with no furniture. It sounds a lot so I may get another quote. I would be sharing a container as I don't have enough stuff to fill my own. They give you free boxes and a months free storage too.
Old Jun 9th 2003, 12:55 pm
darrenb

We used allfreight.co.uk

Its costing us $2900 to ship 670 cubic foot (sea). They come in pack everything up for you etc so you dont have to do the shifting. Transit time is around 8 weeks and they bring it to your house and unpack (they wont however shift heavy goods above ground floor so you will have to organise that yourself).

They came to our house to give us a quote and have dropped a number of boxed around so that we can pack personal items ourselves. So far the service has been good but then again our shipment is not there yet!

Good luck

Old Jun 11th 2003, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

wayne186 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used upakweship very recently to send all of our belongings to the US. I spoke to Chris who is a very nice bloke and the pricing is pretty good. I would suggest that if you have over 300cu ft of possessions then get a container quote! I took over 400cu ft of kit and it cost the same in the end as a container would have through them. Good points: Good on price, helpfulness of Chris and his colleague at the storage depot, fantastic service on the other side of the pond and help with customs clearance. Bad points: I actually delivered my stuff to the depot near Felixstowe and was a little dismayed to see a third party who upakweship use behaving in a manner in a truck equal to what I would expect to see at silverstone. Insurance is a big hit - I chose to take the risk and not have any except on my most precious computers. You will only be insured against total loss and NOT damage. Damage to your possessions on an overseas shipping is overwhelmingly expensive if at all possible to find.

What you need to do is reserve a room in your house, measure off a 10ft by 5ft section by placing tape on the floor, your ceiling is probably 8ft and everything inside the tape up to ceiling is a 400cu ft area. Then when you pack your kit, fill every single hole - put socks in every single spare orrifice - use clothes to wrap delicate items and keep packaging to a minimum. Your charges are based on cu ft and not weight. You would not believe what I managed to cram into 400 cu ft :-)

Best of luck and let me know if you want to know anything further.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:36 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wayne,
Thank you for your fantastic reply, please tell me how much a full container will cost .
I am living in south wales and re-locating to florida.
Thanks again
Old Jun 11th 2003, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

wayne186 is an unknown quantity at this point

For a 20x8x8 container door to door from Swindon to Baltimore I had a quote of £2100.00, I chose to do the 400cu ft option which ended up costing me £1980 - I wish I had just booked a container for myself in the end - I would have had loads of room or I could have chucked my car in it :-) Do not mix my comments above up with a reflection on upakweship - they are good and I would use them again. I was just a little dismayed when I seen damon hill at the wheel of a 30ft removal truck!!
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

eleanor is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: upakweship any good?

javascript:smilie('')

Don't get me started about Upikswe'resh*t!!! We've come to Canada for one year, and sent off our winter clothes on July 17th to arrive by the end of the summer. I'd be interested to hear what delay Mr UPSh*t quotes you for delivery, since our delivery dates are ever moving. At first, it was 4-6 weeks (reasonable), which then turned into 6-8 (still ok), and has now become 10-12 weeks (totally not OK). The 12 weeks expire on October 17th, and our boxes allegedly dock in Toronto on Oct 4th, so it remains to be seen if we'll even get them in the 12 weeks. The first frost is forecast for tomorrow, so I have had to go and buy new clothes for the children since they only two sets of winter-type clothes each.
Furthermore, Mr UPikwe'reSh*t has displayed the most abysmal customer service I can recall.
Hope this has been some use to you. If you need to know more, visit my weblog www.purplepen.net, where the whole sorry saga is laid in gruesome detail!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 1:55 am
Just Joined

ted152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy upakweship

We shipped our boxes on 8/9/2003 from London to New York, but we still haven't received them on 18/11/2003. It is over 10 weeks and we are not likely to receive our load anytime soon. The only comfort is that they are able to locate where our stuffs are, but I have no way but doubt if we will ever receive them. Upakweship and its US counterpart DeliverUSA may be competitive in pricing, but they are runaway slow to the point to make me think that I should have chosen different mover!

(added) The load arrived in early 9 December, exactly 3
months from the dispatch.

Last edited by ted152; Jan 11th 2004 at 1:44 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 8:22 am
Fm Mitcham 2 Clearwater F

Slartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura aboutSlartibartfast has a spectacular aura about

Hey Rockgurl,

You may want to get a quote from Simpsons removals & Storage. Like you we have just boxes and no furniture. Door to Door from London to Clearwater Fl they quoted me £625 for 70 CuFt sharing a container. Boxes and packing supplies are included.

dave

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I haven't used them yet, but they did come round to give me a quote and I found them helpful and polite. They quoted me approx £1800 for 5 cubic feet of boxes with no furniture. It sounds a lot so I may get another quote. I would be sharing a container as I don't have enough stuff to fill my own. They give you free boxes and a months free storage too.
Old Nov 20th 2003, 9:21 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Slartibartfast
Hey Rockgurl,

You may want to get a quote from Simpsons removals & Storage. Like you we have just boxes and no furniture. Door to Door from London to Clearwater Fl they quoted me £625 for 70 CuFt sharing a container. Boxes and packing supplies are included.

dave
Thanks but I already booked with Allfreight. They're coming tomorrow actually. I have 52 boxes, a wardrobe, a trunk, a loft bed, and a chest of drawers and I'm paying £1700 including insurance and tax. They've been very helpful so far. In the end I decided to take some furniture with me, and I hope when they et here that they don't decide I have too much stuff and need to pay more!
Old Nov 20th 2003, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: upakweship any good?

If you're not taking any large stuff like furniture, beds TV's etc then there's no reason why you can't do it yourself, a lot cheaper.
I collected some boxes from the back of Safeways/Sainsburys etc and bought loads of bubble wrap.
I then contacted 2/3 freight agents (Coventry) for quotes.
I picked the middle quote (I had 9 large boxes) and had them shipped to Norfolk, VA.
It took about a month, sea freight.
My brother-in-law then drove me down there in his pick up truck to collect them.
The whole thing costs about $600 and it would have been another $400 to have them delivered to my house (about 100 miles from Norfolk) instead of $20 of petrol.
I suppose, living on the east coast made it a lot cheaper as Norfolk is a sea port and wasn't too far from me.
I guess to have stuff shipped inland would be more expensive, especially if you are a long way from a port.
Anyway, it's really worth shopping around.
Good luck