Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Universal Health Ins? The Candidates.

Universal Health Ins? The Candidates.

Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Universal Health Ins? The Candidates.

Originally Posted by ugacrew
It does. I had the choice between HMO and PPO and my decision was immediate. Why the others at my job went with HMO is beyond my comprehension.
shear cost? usually costs another arm and a leg...

as for myself, didn't have the choice, but it is a pretty good hmo.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 12:57 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
shear cost? usually costs another arm and a leg...

as for myself, didn't have the choice, but it is a pretty good hmo.
Yeah, but for my organization it seemed like difference was negligible considering the costs associated with each plan, co-pays, yada yada yada. It seemed like a no brainer. I can see where you are coming from though.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

They should not be stopped all together. Some of them have merit especially in malpractice.
i would agree for Gross malpractice but i cant see how docs get sued so easy i see going to the hospital the same as calling the fire department . You light your house on fire you can expect a gurantee that they can put it out on time its a risk when ever your choose to go under the knife .

I'm afraid economic theory doesn't apply here. There is actually a shortage of health care workers.
i see that as the root cause of the trouble with the system right behind laywers

If anything the main factor that raises the cost of health care is the ability for medical facilities to charge exorbitant rates because health insurance companies charge US exorbitant rates. We need to deal with insurance companies.
if the doctors are the ones chargeing the higher rate wouldnt we deal with the doctors ? not the insurance that pays for it ? Its also good to note that the majorty of over charge happens not to insurance companies but to the federal programs such of medicade and medicare .

Not immigration law regarding physicians.
I dont see immigration as the only thing to help the system but i dont see how it could hurt . I think this would work in favor of the US if we keep a free market health care system the US would become the best spot for doctors the worlds over to relocate . i imagen alot of doctors in Universal health care systems would want to come were they have more freedom to opperate there practice how they see fit

That does ring true. We need to have transparency between health care lobbies and politicians. Those relationships need to be addressed first and foremost.
i would say worry about transparency between trial laywers and Politicians first
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:12 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michaelmike5556
1. Stop Trial Lawyers
If you stop the negligence suits, you need some other method of weeding out grossly incompetent doctors. The US has no real history of policing itself in any other way than by using the courts -- you cull by suing the b*st*rds to death. Other countries have managed to develop professional organizations that can self-police, or independent ombudsmen who can use their real power to achieve the same effect. That skill has not reached our shores, yet.

Also, it should be noted that negligence payouts becomes smaller in countries where there is already universal health care since damages do not need to include these further health care costs in their calculations.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The US government is never good at running large programs so i think that if there is socialized Med program it will turn are hospitals into DMVs
The fact that the US government is incapable of running things is not an argument that they shouldn't but rather an argument that they should be forced by the electorate to provide efficiency through accountability. Since there are some things that only government can run (Do you really want Walmart issuing driving licenses or to visit Marriott Yellowstone Park?), push for this rather than your defeatist attitude.

Let's face it, without a profit necessity, they only need to run at half the efficiency of the private sector to cost the same. They managed to put a man on the moon let's not forget. They can do big stuff when they want to.

Personally, I'd like a "socialized Med program" here in the US. If by such a system you were describing the NHS, it would cost us about half the amount and deliver a similar if not better service overall. But I assume as you used the word "socialized" you are not in favour.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to allMichaelmike5556 is a name known to all

If you stop the negligence suits, you need some other method of weeding out grossly incompetent doctors. The US has no real history of policing itself in any other way than by using the courts -- you cull by suing the b*st*rds to death. Other countries have managed to develop professional organizations that can self-police, or independent ombudsmen who can use their real power to achieve the same effect. That skill has not reached our shores, yet.
i am not saying cut out them all togeather i am just saying when your dieing there are no gurantiees .

and if your not sick and you take a risk cause you want a bigger d*ck or breasts i do not feel very sorry for you . same as i dont feel sorry for people that take part in very dangerus hobbies like bungee jumping etc etc if the possable bad outcome bothers your that much maybe your shouldnt do it.

there are professional organizations doctors belong too also there is a self policeing method if doctors kill people they wont have customers for very long .

Also, it should be noted that negligence payouts becomes smaller in countries where there is already universal health care since damages do not need to include these further health care costs in their calculations.
so instead of the bad docs we all pay it ?

The fact that the US government is incapable of running things is not an argument that they shouldn't but rather an argument that they should be forced by the electorate to provide efficiency through accountability
i dont think that applies here the US is to big and diverce of a nation to run anything from a central authority with any luck.

Since there are some things that only government can run (Do you really want Walmart issuing driving licenses or to visit Marriott Yellowstone Park?), push for this rather than your defeatist attitude.
if the goverment contracted the DMVs out to walmart that would be one of the best things to happen to this nation ? If i could get the same good helpful and nice treatment i get from wallmart employees but from the ones at the DMV i would asked to be pinched .

Marriot Yellowstone there is one of those already . i am not defeatist i dont trust the goverment with my health care . With Rights come responbiltys if the goverment is in charge of my health then that gives them reason to tell me what to eat Drink Smoke etc etc ... it would be like moving back in with my mom and dad . if you dont pay your way the one in charge of doing that for u will .

and responibillty is something i forgot to talk about earlyer if anything health care is more in the US cause we have let areselves get fat and out of shape . I would bet the European system would suffer the same strain givin the same kind of population we have in the US right now

Personally, I'd like a "socialized Med program" here in the US. If by such a system you were describing the NHS, it would cost us about half the amount and deliver a similar if not better service overall. But I assume as you used the word "socialized" you are not in favour.
i am for extreme cases
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:26 pm
Septicity

i am not saying cut out them all togeather i am just saying when your dieing there are no gurantiees .
You said stop trial lawyers! I really don't think you have any idea what you want here. Have you thought it through or have you been letting someone else do your thinking for you?

and if your not sick and you take a risk cause you want a bigger d*ck or breasts i do not feel very sorry for you . same as i dont feel sorry for people that take part in very dangerus hobbies like bungee jumping etc etc if the possable bad outcome bothers your that much maybe your shouldnt do it.
Cosmetic surgery is strictly the preserve of private medicine except for gross disfiguration that may affect your mental state. I can see you believe in total responsibility for your medical condition. Perhaps you believe that illness comes from God and it is therefore God's punishment when you fall ill? Most "socialized med systems" also have some sort of accountability you'll be glad to hear. For example, you're unlikely to get a new pair of lungs unless you give up smoking.

there are professional organizations doctors belong too also there is a self policeing method if doctors kill people they wont have customers for very long .
Yes, and over here they don't work -- hence the excessive use of the courts to cull them. It's actually pretty difficult to find information about how good or how bad a doctor is over here. If you know where to discover this information, please let us know. In the absence of such information, each doctor has about 300 million people to get through (or maybe 250 if he refuses to treat those without insurance) before there's nobody left.

so instead of the bad docs we all pay it ?
We all pay it here. About twice as much as the NHS, for example.

i dont think that applies here the US is to big and diverce of a nation to run anything from a central authority with any luck.
It sure was a good idea to seperate such a big country into states, wasn't it?

if the goverment contracted the DMVs out to walmart that would be one of the best things to happen to this nation ? If i could get the same good helpful and nice treatment i get from wallmart employees but from the ones at the DMV i would asked to be pinched . http://uloc.nerdtank.org/quiz/quiz03.jpg
The lines at the checkout in Walmart are indeed about as long as the ones at the DMV. Beyond that, I'm really not sure where you're going here.

Marriot Yellowstone there is one of those already . i am not defeatist i dont trust the goverment with my health care . With Rights come responbiltys if the goverment is in charge of my health then that gives them reason to tell me what to eat Drink Smoke etc etc ... it would be like moving back in with my mom and dad . if you dont pay your way the one in charge of doing that for u will .
The government already taxes your cigarettes and tells you where and where you cannot smoke. Beyond that, they license doctors, pharmaceuticals and hospitals, etc. The government is yours. Corporations don't belong to you and you have little say (except via your government) in what they do if you don't own them

and responibillty is something i forgot to talk about earlyer if anything health care is more in the US cause we have let areselves get fat and out of shape . I would bet the European system would suffer the same strain givin the same kind of population we have in the US right now
A better education would help most, I think. That and go to TJs for your food rather than Wally World.

i am for extreme cases
Makes no sense. Please expand.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 10:48 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

if the goverment contracted the DMVs out to walmart that would be one of the best things to happen to this nation ? If i could get the same good helpful and nice treatment i get from wallmart employees
you are kidding?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, and over here they don't work -- hence the excessive use of the courts to cull them. It's actually pretty difficult to find information about how good or how bad a doctor is over here. If you know where to discover this information, please let us know. In the absence of such information, each doctor has about 300 million people to get through (or maybe 250 if he refuses to treat those without insurance) before there's nobody left.
Not quite that bad, yet.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:03 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not quite that bad, yet.
How many uninsured, then?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
How many uninsured, then?
Currently 50 million uninsured.
100 million odd on Government schemes
??? Underinsured

Now that calculation probably leaves 250
Old Dec 11th 2007, 11:12 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Currently 50 million uninsured.
100 million odd on Government schemes
??? Underinsured

Now that calculation probably leaves 250
That's a bit high don't you think? We only have 300 million here.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ugacrew
That's a bit high don't you think? We only have 300 million here.
I think you are adding 0's, Fatbrit said 250.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:19 am
Riding on silver wings

I think you are adding 0's, Fatbrit said 250.
Thanks homey!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:43 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why there is such fear of "socialized" medicine. We (US) pay way more and get way less per dollar than practically anyone else.

What's the VA's spend per covered individual? And is it that much worse than private insurance or (even more so) than being uninsured? I suppose they don't do a lot of obgyn, ER work etc.
Originally Posted by Steerpike
I got a bit of unemployment last year (out of work 6 weeks after 23 years of continuous employment, I deserved it ), I get roads to drive on, I get a great state university system, I get a local govt. that issues tax credits for hybrids, that offers medi-cal to poor people, that recognizes domestic partnerships in addition to marriage, etc. I'd rather pay 6.6% to live in compasionate, liberal CA than sweat it out in some right-wing redneck state that has no tax.
Well said, you commie!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.