Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unique Situation

Unique Situation

Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Situation

Originally Posted by steveq
No, but to rank you for classes. The boys had to, much to their great surprise. They had to do a civics exam, and ended up in the top 10 in the school - despite never touching the syllabus.

Mine you, when #2 son scored 105% in his last maths test, you have to wonder about the standards here....
A few years ago my employer circulated "participation" (percentage of employees who had pledged) for the annual United Way appeal. Unsurprisingly it was the marketing department which had 102% participation.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Being a year ahead in the Math and Science tracks is useful, as he's going into his junior year next year, and has been able to sign up for more APs with prerequisites than he otherwise would have. Plus of course he's had the benefit of more engaging classes with a group of like-minded peers; not necessarily all the smartest children, but definitely the ones more inclined to work hard and not be disruptive.
#1 son did some US aptitude tests (ASVAB ?), and now he can't shake the US Navy off his tail.....we have politely pointed out he isn't actually a citizen...
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

#1 son did some US aptitude tests (ASVAB ?), and now he can't shake the US Navy off his tail.....we have politely pointed out he isn't actually a citizen...
That is absolutely not a bar to serving in the US military, and in fact joining the military is a fairly popular path to citizenship. Also it is not uncommon for UK Territorial Army reservists to join the US National Guard while seconded on an L-1 visa.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is absolutely not a bar to serving in the US military, and in fact joining the military is a fairly popular path to citizenship. Also it is not uncommon for UK Territorial Army reservists to join the US National Guard while seconded on an L-1 visa.
I thought that path was closed. When did it reopen ? Not that I think he'd stand a snowflake in hells chance of surviving the military.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:17 am

I thought that path was closed. When did it reopen ? Not that I think he'd stand a snowflake in hells chance of surviving the military.
The military path to citizenship? I didn't know it had closed. .... Still hasn't stopped non-citizens serving in the US military, though, AFAIK.

IIRC the Territorial Army - National Guard connection might be linked to NATO.