Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unique Situation

Unique Situation

Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

chris1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unique Situation

Dear All, first post but feel free to pull me into line.

I am looking to move to the US under a sponsor program. Most of which will be done by the company, however wanted to ask some general questions before entering this process.

I am a British Citizen and Australian Resident living in Australia, my partner and two childrens (10yo) are Australian Citizens.

Can anyone see an issue with the above.

Other Questions are around topics such as education -

Can they attend public school in the US the same way we allow them to attend ours? I read conflicting advice that we can do 12 months and have to pay for it to a simple no.

Health Insurance - generally healthy, one of my kids has mild cerebral palsy but only physical. What are the general costs and can we take it out?

Kind of unrelated, looking at Dallas so any tips around this would be good, good area's, bad area's etc.

Thanks for your help

Chris
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unique Situation

Originally Posted by chris1234
Can anyone see an issue with the above.
Yes - you and your partner must be married. If the children are not yours, your partner will need written permission from the children's other parent (or a court order to that effect) to remove them from Aussie jurisdiction.

Other Questions are around topics such as education...
These are not immigration-related questions and should be posted in the general USA forum.

Ian
Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris, Welcome to BE.

What is a "sponsor program"? Which visa would you be getting?

Rene
Old Apr 14th 2016, 12:30 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris1234
Other Questions are around topics such as education -

Can they attend public school in the US the same way we allow them to attend ours? I read conflicting advice that we can do 12 months and have to pay for it to a simple no.

Health Insurance - generally healthy, one of my kids has mild cerebral palsy but only physical. What are the general costs and can we take it out?

Kind of unrelated, looking at Dallas so any tips around this would be good, good area's, bad area's etc.
Welcome to BE and good luck!

To add to what Ian has said, there's a couple of current health related threads that should get you started on the insurance questions.

Have a search too about Dallas, as it has come up a bit so would make a good starting point.

Schools, you rent/buy a house, kids go to the school tied to the address, unless you want to send them to private school. The whole thing about not being able to go to the public schools is probably related to the B1/2 tourist visa.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Presume by sponsor program you mean a company is going to sponsor you for the work visa.

Yes, your children will be able to attend school in the US

Your company should be providing you with a comprehensive health insurance scheme; they will pay part of the premiums, you will pay the rest. If they are not providing you with health insurance then this is a major red flag with regards what type of company they are. For a family of 4 you are probably looking at $500+ per month for company scheme?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 1:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What is unique?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 1:38 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... Yes, your children will be able to attend school in the US. ....
That rather understates the matter - his children will be required to attend school (unless there is an adequate home-school plan in place). Not only is there is no charge, there is no mechanism to collect a fee for a child to attend a public (state) school in the US. Plenty of children in the country illegally attend public schools and their status is unknown, undetected, and irrelevant for the purpose of attending school.

Originally Posted by Boiler
What is unique?
I agree, I see nothing remarkable. So far as the US goes, it makes no difference if you are from the UK, Australia, or Mongolia. There are a few special rules for Iranians and North Koreans.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 14th 2016 at 1:40 am.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 2:28 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
... Not only is there is no charge, there is no mechanism to collect a fee for a child to attend a public (state) school in the US. Plenty of children in the country illegally attend public schools and their status is unknown, undetected, and irrelevant for the purpose of attending school.

Provided they are grade 1 and up. Pre-K/K, is a different story.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 2:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Provided they are grade 1 and up. Pre-K/K, is a different story.
Maybe that depends on the state, because "k" is included in NC and VA, but in any case I don't think someone would be asking about "school" for 3-4 four year old.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 12:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Maybe that depends on the state, because "k" is included in NC and VA, but in any case I don't think someone would be asking about "school" for 3-4 four year old.
Probably, down here, pre-K isn't free, full day costs extra and you've got to prove legal status which is dubious but there you go and for K state only pays half day and you have to pay for the rest if you want full day and you've got to prove legal status for that.

Though depending on birth date, could be up to 6 years old.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Not only is there is no charge, there is no mechanism to collect a fee for a child to attend a public (state) school in the US.
Hmm, Maine schools charge a fee to anyone attending who doesn't live in the administrative area. The state sets the fee - it's around $9k. My daughter also attends a state boarding school and I pay for her room and board, also around $9k. The mechanism is certainly there *weeps*
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by kins
Hmm, Maine schools charge a fee to anyone attending who doesn't live in the administrative area. The state sets the fee - it's around $9k. My daughter also attends a state boarding school and I pay for her room and board, also around $9k. The mechanism is certainly there *weeps*
It sounds like those are choices you are making. If you have a child, living in Maine, and are unable or unwilling to engage in home schooling, are you not required to send your child(ren) to a school funded exclusively by taxes? If you fail to send your child to school, or provide home schooling, are you not at risk of prosecution?

As far as I can tell, and despite the petty regulations that certain school districts have purported to introduce, there isn't anywhere in the industrialized world (G20 +++) where education for children isn't (i) mandatory, and (ii) funded by taxes and free from fees at the point of service.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:30 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Our school district is pretty strict too, for certain schools you MUST live within school boundaries. There isn't a "fee" scheme.

The only way around that is doing something like the IB program which is only offered at certain schools. Even then I don't think they will allow out of district students.

Pulaski, children don't attend school illegally if they are illegal immigrants. I'm nit-picking but if they live in area, if they have had vaccinations then they can go to school. The school is NOT allowed to ask about immigration status.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like those are choices you are making.
Indeed, but you said there was no mechanism for collecting fees. And I pointed out that there absolutely are mechanisms.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:36 pm

Indeed, but you said there was no mechanism for collecting fees. And I pointed out that there absolutely are mechanisms.
I was talking about "mandatory" free public schools, and I think you knew that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.