Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits

Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefits

Originally Posted by Brit3964
It's easy to apply for a menial task job but the chance you would get it if overqualified is pretty unlikely.
It's not illegal to "dumb down" your resume to get a job... and it seems easier to find a better job when money is coming in.

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Looking for a job is one thing. The real problem for many is being over-qualified not under-qualified. It's easy to apply for a menial task job but the chance you would get it if overqualified is pretty unlikely.
I know people from eastern Europe who found jobs as cleaners and waiters and had the equivalent of a UK master's degree. The main difference is, they don't feel entitled to a welfare cheque at taxpayer's expense.

As long as illegal immigrants with no skills and no English knowledge can get employed (and they can, otherwise they wouldn't be coming) there are not many excuses for educated English-speakers who claim they can't find a job anywhere.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I know people from eastern Europe who found jobs as cleaners and waiters and had the equivalent of a UK master's degree. The main difference is, they don't feel entitled to a welfare cheque at taxpayer's expense.

As long as illegal immigrants with no skills and no English knowledge can get employed (and they can, otherwise they wouldn't be coming) there are not many excuses for educated English-speakers who claim they can't find a job anywhere.
You can't make 8 million jobs (the number lost during the recession) when they are not there.

Also unemployment benefits in the US is not welfare.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

You get off your ass and look for a job...
Looking for a job is one thing. The real problem for many is being over-qualified not under-qualified. It's easy to apply for a menial task job but the chance you would get it if overqualified is pretty unlikely. It's not a matter of pride either.
It is more like denial. I know gobs of people who lost 200K+ jobs who were in denial for a year or so, only to bootstrap with 50-80K+ jobs. I admit our financial vertical spoilt the salary metric from the mailroom guys up.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Perpetuated, no doubt, by the media hype surrounding the "American Dream".

Ian
It begins as soon as you get approved for your first Credit Card i.e Freshman in College.

As long as illegal immigrants with no skills and no English knowledge can get employed (and they can, otherwise they wouldn't be coming) there are not many excuses for educated English-speakers who claim they can't find a job anywhere
Couldnt have said it better
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Also unemployment benefits in the US is not welfare.
To put it mildly. None of the people I know who are getting unemployment pay can even remotely exist off it. All it's doing is slowing down the rate they eat through their savings (including retirement savings). And as soon as the COBRA subsidies end, you're going to see a boat load of people added to the 45m without any health insurance.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously don't live in a high unemployment black spot. Try it sometime and see how far you get.

In my case, I'm still employed but have no money coming in at the moment because of loosing my FAA medical. Without going into all the details, but to say it wasn't my fault I lost it. I'm living off my 401k while the appeal process is slowly going through the motions. Statistically there's a good chance of getting it back but it can take up to 6 months. I certainly don't feel entitled to taxpayers money however as others have said, unemployment here isn't welfare in any case. I could have cut loose from my employer and gone on unemployment but in my industry that's not a good thing right now as there are no jobs out there. It's a catch 22 situation.

Hopefully you are in an industry which is doing well at the moment.

It is more like denial. I know gobs of people who lost 200K+ jobs who were in denial for a year or so, only to bootstrap with 50-80K+ jobs. I admit our financial vertical spoilt the salary metric from the mailroom guys up

It's quite possible to live on $50k a year. Somewhat harder on $15k per year.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:35 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

What a stupid, stupid, stupid thing to say. Illegals are getting jobs for cash under the table at (quite often) below minimum wage. No taxes paid by employer and employee. Even if Americans wanted these jobs and were willing to work at slave wages - no employer would dare hire them for fear of being caught. When the employer hires on the illegal it is a situation of mutual blackmail in that they are both complicit in the crime and one cannot risk exposing the other.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny

Couldnt have said it better
Could you have said it any stupider?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's not illegal to "dumb down" your resume to get a job... and it seems easier to find a better job when money is coming in.

Ian
Aye, but you can't change your age either.

All those mental shelf stacking jobs, they don't go to people out of school and don't give benefits. Down my way, your not full time till you work 35 hours a week and part timers don't have to get benefits.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 3:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You trying paying child care costs on minimum wage.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but you can't change your age either.
Nor can you hide or easily disguise the past 10yrs of work history. It would a big gap to leave it out.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You trying paying child care costs on minimum wage.
Or student loans, or a mortgage.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Or student loans, or a mortgage.
Or health insurance.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:01 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You obviously don't live in a high unemployment black spot. Try it sometime and see how far you get.

In my case, I'm still employed but have no money coming in at the moment because of loosing my FAA medical. Without going into all the details, but to say it wasn't my fault I lost it. I'm living off my 401k while the appeal process is slowly going through the motions. Statistically there's a good chance of getting it back but it can take up to 6 months. I certainly don't feel entitled to taxpayers money however as others have said, unemployment here isn't welfare in any case. I could have cut loose from my employer and gone on unemployment but in my industry that's not a good thing right now as there are no jobs out there. It's a catch 22 situation.

Hopefully you are in an industry which is doing well at the moment.

It's quite possible to live on $50k a year. Somewhat harder on $15k per year.
We've been living on under $50,000 for years, it's doable for a family of 5 and we got one kid though Uni at the same time. I make those pennies squeak.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We've been living on under $50,000 for years, it's doable for a family of 5 and we got one kid though Uni at the same time. I make those pennies squeak.
How much under? $49,999? True it can be done but try it again on $15k and with health insurance added. I bet it ain't comfortable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.