Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits

Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unemployment benefits

I don't know much about unemployment benefits in the US.

I keep reading about bills to extend federal unemployment benefits beyond 26 weeks.

What happens when you reach the end of your unemployment benefit? What do you live on?
Old Jul 1st 2010, 9:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefits

Originally Posted by kins

I keep reading about bills to extend federal unemployment benefits beyond 26 weeks.

What happens when you reach the end of your unemployment benefit? What do you live on?
nobody cares ....
Old Jul 1st 2010, 10:19 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the idea is that you borrow money at punitive rates, lose your house as a result, then turn to crime, get caught and, as a convicted felon, become a part of the permanent underclass that does all the shitty jobs for bugger all money.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister has been getting unemployment and extensions for 2 years now. Hers just ran out, finally, and she's going to be living on her husband's salary. She doesn't predict she'll be able to find a job anytime soon, and she's close to retirement age, so she probably won't work anymore.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

"It's their fault for being unemployed."

It's a horrible situation. I have friends in this predicament and not only are they losing their unemployment benefit, but their health insurance (previously subsidized by the federal government) is going up to $1200 a month. Looking at her resumé (or lack thereof) and age, I am sceptical that she's going to find meaningful employment for the forseeable future.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:19 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My sister has been getting unemployment and extensions for 2 years now. Hers just ran out, finally, and she's going to be living on her husband's salary. She doesn't predict she'll be able to find a job anytime soon, and she's close to retirement age, so she probably won't work anymore.

Rene
wtf...how does anyone even get unemployment in the first place?
Mr J lost his job in March due to the call centre closing down and they wont give him a penny. He got an "appeal" phone call a while ago....still havent heard anything
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Once it runs out your on your own.

There are jobs, people just see those jobs as being below them and wont take them.
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

What are unemployment benefits?

I signed a piece of paper (or did my wife sign it?) promising not to claim benefits for 10 years (or words to that effect).
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
wtf...how does anyone even get unemployment in the first place?
Mr J lost his job in March due to the call centre closing down and they wont give him a penny. He got an "appeal" phone call a while ago....still havent heard anything
Wow...that doesn't sound like the norm. My sister was working at a company for about 18 months when she got laid off (last hired, first to go). She got unemployment benefits for being laid off due to lack of work at the company. The company has since shut down the whole Tucson location.

The first year on unemployment she job hunted like crazy. She had just received her MBA, and was still unemployable. By the end of the first year, she decided to go back to school to get a special ed teaching degree. She job hunted on the side while going to school. Still nothing came up. Now, after another year of unemployment and a year into the teaching degree, she's realizing she's going to be near retirement age when she gets done with this degree, and still not finding any jobs in her real field....she's sort of given up.

Rene
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I signed a piece of paper (or did my wife sign it?) promising not to claim benefits for 10 years (or words to that effect).
Its not really a government benefit, its actually unemployment insurance.

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/unemplo...ance/index.htm
Old Jul 1st 2010, 11:47 pm

And it goes according to the state you work in. You can google "unemployment benefits" + state you live in to find the specifics of your own state's unemployment regulations.

For an overall view: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_benefits

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
There are jobs, people just see those jobs as being below them and wont take them.
With the current level of unemployment and underemployment, that is frequently not the case. Additionally, many employers aren't interested in employing people who are vastly overqualified, because they know that if and when the economy turns up, they'll lose the employee.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:05 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
I think the idea is that you borrow money at punitive rates, lose your house as a result, then turn to crime, get caught and, as a convicted felon, become a part of the permanent underclass that does all the shitty jobs for bugger all money.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, unless you are lucky enough to have some kind of savings or a spouse with income. If not, then you sell all your assets and then move in with family or barring that, a homeless shelter. We'll be doing basically just that come Sept. I was laid off at the end of Feb. and my unemployment runs out at end of Aug. We will likely be going into bankruptcy in order to get rid of our house, and then moving in with my mother. My husband has a decent income, but it just isn't enough for us to pay all of our bills. Very sad chapter in our lives, but at least we are young enough to recover and I have family we can depend on to help us out. Some people are not that fortunate, and I do wonder what they are going to do.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 2nd 2010 at 12:44 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:08 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What do you live on?
Ramen.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I think you've confused two different benefit systems. Unemployment is an insurance fund, paid into by your employer (a percentage of your wages) and administered by your State.

The document your USC petitioner signed was a promise that IF you applied for/accepted means-tested benefits (google for a list) AND were granted them AND the issuing agency wanted their money back, she would pay it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.