Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:36 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefits

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
They can come after you for a deficiency in KY unfortunately. So likely we will do a deed-in-lieu (mail in the keys as you say) at a certain point in time if we don't have a buyer..and after we will likely have to do a bankruptcy to prevent a deficiency judgment from the lien holder. I'm not sure of all the details as yet since we haven't consulted a bankruptcy or real estate attorney yet, but it does seem pretty likely we will have to do a BK because of this as well as other debts.
Bummer!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

They can come after you for a deficiency in KY unfortunately. So likely we will do a deed-in-lieu (mail in the keys as you say) at a certain point in time if we don't have a buyer..and after we will likely have to do a bankruptcy to prevent a deficiency judgment from the lien holder. I'm not sure of all the details as yet since we haven't consulted a bankruptcy or real estate attorney yet, but it does seem pretty likely we will have to do a BK because of this as well as other debts.
Hoping something turns up for you
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

However unless someone just tries to walk away from a home that they can afford the payments, banks in recourse states seldom come after the owner after they foreclose. That is because the debt is generally so large that even if they win deficiency judgment, most people will just file for bankruptcy to discharge the debt.

The following is from Kentucky foreclosure law.

A lender can only recover a deficiency judgment from a borrower if the borrower was personally served with the foreclosure complaint and failed to respond to the complaint. If the borrower responded to the foreclosure lawsuit then the lender has no right to a deficiency judgment even if there is a discrepancy between the amount recovered at the public foreclosure sale and the amount owed on the loan.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Juswus. It hasn't been all that easy trying to stay positive. Just trying to sell our house is proving to be almost impossible, and has me down on some days. The house is the biggest reason why we will likely have to go to the extreme of bankruptcy. So I know if we can just get past that hurdle, everything else will fall into place for us. That is the light at the end of the tunnel we try to focus on, and not the current difficulties and unknowns.

But our story is just one of millions, and we are fortunate in having family to help out. I do wonder how others are going to manage it though.
Thats awful, I'm so sorry I hope things get better for you.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
However unless someone just tries to walk away from a home that they can afford the payments, banks in recourse states seldom come after the owner after they foreclose. That is because the debt is generally so large that even if they win deficiency judgment, most people will just file for bankruptcy to discharge the debt.

The following is from Kentucky foreclosure law.

A lender can only recover a deficiency judgment from a borrower if the borrower was personally served with the foreclosure complaint and failed to respond to the complaint. If the borrower responded to the foreclosure lawsuit then the lender has no right to a deficiency judgment even if there is a discrepancy between the amount recovered at the public foreclosure sale and the amount owed on the loan.
That's good to know. I'm trying to research certain things myself, but that's an example of why we need to still speak to attorneys before making any decisions.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:50 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
In Maine, you've to be full time, W2 employee and worked 12 months at the same place to qualify for unemployment. Once you sign up, you wait a month, and have to apply for x number of jobs a week, 4 I think, signing up in person, though these days it might be online too.
well there ya go. He was classed as a seasonal worker, even though they would only let him go for a couple of months in the summer and then hire him back
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be doing basically just that come Sept. I was laid off at the end of Feb. and my unemployment runs out at end of Aug. We will likely be going into bankruptcy in order to get rid of our house, and then moving in with my mother. My husband has a decent income, but it just isn't enough for us to pay all of our bills. Very sad chapter in our lives, but at least we are young enough to recover and I have family we can depend on to help us out. Some people are not that fortunate, and I do wonder what they are going to do.
That's just bad luck. I hope it all turns out ok for you in the end.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 3:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Bit extreme? Most states you can mail them the keys and walk away with a big ding to your credit score but without owing the negative equity part. No idea with Kentucky, though. Best to save bankruptcy for when you really need it -- like medical bills -- as you can only throw that dice every 7 years.
My upstairs neighbor has been living in his condo for more than a year without making his mortgage payments. He finally got the notice that the bank is going to sell it for cash at auction at the end of July. Whenever that happens and he absolutely has to be out, he will rent an apartment...in the meantime, he's saved up a year's worth of mortgage payments.

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

I am sorry to see so many citizens out of a job, some since Sept 15th crash (nearing two years now); let alone the immigrants in our industry vertical.

The problem here in the US is living beyond one's means. It baffles me to no end, that you buy a house worth 10-15X your annual income without any substantial savings and an education worth much. When your paradise collapses you do not know how to prioritize.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
I am sorry to see so many citizens out of a job, some since Sept 15th crash (nearing two years now); let alone the immigrants in our industry vertical.

The problem here in the US is living beyond one's means. It baffles me to no end, that you buy a house worth 10-15X your annual income without any substantial savings and an education worth much. When your paradise collapses you do not know how to prioritize.
Those are the ones who initially have lost everything.
But now it's people who have owned a modest home for quite a while, don't have mountains of debt. Many have already lived through the 6 or months or living expenses we were all told we should have in the bank and with no jobs insight are losing their homes.
Take my house for instance, bought 17 years ago and now worth only slightly more than we paid. Should Dh lose job and I can't find anything and all things go pear shaped, we'd sell up and if lucky walk away with a few thousand dollars, enough to fly us all home and rent for a few months maybe.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Those are the ones who initially have lost everything.
But now it's people who have owned a modest home for quite a while, don't have mountains of debt. Many have already lived through the 6 or months or living expenses we were all told we should have in the bank and with no jobs insight are losing their homes.
Take my house for instance, bought 17 years ago and now worth only slightly more than we paid. Should Dh lose job and I can't find anything and all things go pear shaped, we'd sell up and if lucky walk away with a few thousand dollars, enough to fly us all home and rent for a few months maybe.
I agree - even the best of savers will struggle if out of work long enough. While I have little sympathy for the self inflicted debt-meisters living well beyond their means, this recession is now hitting a lot of people who have traditionally been very careful with their finances.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I don't know much about unemployment benefits in the US.

I keep reading about bills to extend federal unemployment benefits beyond 26 weeks.

What happens when you reach the end of your unemployment benefit? What do you live on?
You get off your ass and look for a job...
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Cool, I'm glad it's that simple
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
Looking for a job is one thing. The real problem for many is being over-qualified not under-qualified. It's easy to apply for a menial task job but the chance you would get it if overqualified is pretty unlikely. It's not a matter of pride either. Many will be willing to take any job offer after several months or years of unemployment. Sadly, the older you are, the more experience you have, the longer it takes to get another job should you be unlucky enough to loose one in the current employment climate unless you're in one of the few "boom" industries like healthcare. If you're younger then it may be easier to find employment although I believe students and recent college graduates are having a hard time finding employment too.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
The problem here in the US is living beyond one's means.
Perpetuated, no doubt, by the media hype surrounding the "American Dream".

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.