Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unemployment benefits

Unemployment benefits

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:49 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unemployment benefits

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Nothing, unless you are lucky enough to have some kind of savings or a spouse with income. If not, then you sell all your assets and then move in with family or barring that, a homeless shelter. We'll be doing basically just that come Sept. I was laid off at the end of Feb. and my unemployment runs out at end of Aug. We will likely be going into bankruptcy in order to get rid of our house, and then moving in with my mother. My husband has a decent income, but it just isn't enough for us to pay all of our bills. Very sad chapter in our lives, but at least we are young enough to recover and I have family we can depend on to help us out. Some people are not that fortunate, and I do wonder what they are going to do.

that is so rough! And it's getting so common now.
It's an amazing attitude you have, trying to look at the positives....sometimes that's all you can do. Sending you lots of good wishes
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus

that is so rough! And it's getting so common now.
It's an amazing attitude you have, trying to look at the positives....sometimes that's all you can do. Sending you lots of good wishes
Thanks Juswus. It hasn't been all that easy trying to stay positive. Just trying to sell our house is proving to be almost impossible, and has me down on some days. The house is the biggest reason why we will likely have to go to the extreme of bankruptcy. So I know if we can just get past that hurdle, everything else will fall into place for us. That is the light at the end of the tunnel we try to focus on, and not the current difficulties and unknowns.

But our story is just one of millions, and we are fortunate in having family to help out. I do wonder how others are going to manage it though.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think you've confused two different benefit systems. Unemployment is an insurance fund, paid into by your employer (a percentage of your wages) and administered by your State.

The document your USC petitioner signed was a promise that IF you applied for/accepted means-tested benefits (google for a list) AND were granted them AND the issuing agency wanted their money back, she would pay it.
That wouldn't surprise me, I'm easily confused.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:32 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Juswus. It hasn't been all that easy trying to stay positive. Just trying to sell our house is proving to be almost impossible, and has me down on some days. The house is the biggest reason why we will likely have to go to the extreme of bankruptcy. So I know if we can just get past that hurdle, everything else will fall into place for us. That is the light at the end of the tunnel we try to focus on, and not the current difficulties and unknowns.

But our story is just one of millions, and we are fortunate in having family to help out. I do wonder how others are going to manage it though.
i dont work and we depend on my husbands income. If he were to lose his job we would likely have to return (against our will) to the UK as we have zero backup here.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:06 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
i dont work and we depend on my husbands income. If he were to lose his job we would likely have to return (against our will) to the UK as we have zero backup here.
Thats pretty much us too, but I have always, since we got here kept enough money tucked away to be able to ship us all back to UK.
We'd sink after the unemployment ran out, and Dh is the sole worker, I'm looking but nothing happening.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, unless you are lucky enough to have some kind of savings or a spouse with income. If not, then you sell all your assets and then move in with family or barring that, a homeless shelter. We'll be doing basically just that come Sept. I was laid off at the end of Feb. and my unemployment runs out at end of Aug. We will likely be going into bankruptcy in order to get rid of our house, and then moving in with my mother. My husband has a decent income, but it just isn't enough for us to pay all of our bills. Very sad chapter in our lives, but at least we are young enough to recover and I have family we can depend on to help us out. Some people are not that fortunate, and I do wonder what they are going to do.
You should be able to collect up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits (length depends on the unemployment rate in your state).

Although extended unemployment benefits expired at the end of June, the democrats are waiting until after recess for a new senator to be appointed to replace Robert Byrd so they will have enough votes to pass the bill (Snow and Collins supposedly support the extension along with 58 democrats to force cloture).

http://employeeissues.com/extended_benefits.htm
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I don't know much about unemployment benefits in the US.

I keep reading about bills to extend federal unemployment benefits beyond 26 weeks.

What happens when you reach the end of your unemployment benefit? What do you live on?
Normally there is 26 weeks of unemployment benefits when you get laid off while looking for another job. Unemployment premiums are paid by the employer to the state to cover the costs. When unemployment rates are low, that is considered long enough time to find another job.

Due to the very bad downturn in the economy, the federal government has be funding unemployment benefits beyond the 26 weeks (up to 99 weeks depending on the unemployment rate in the state).

The extended unemployment benefits were funded through the end of June and the democrats were trying to pass a bill ($35 billion) to fund the program longer. However, the bill was defeated when Robert Byrd (D-WV) died since they were one vote short to force cloture in the senate (60 out of 100 votes is needed). The democrats are waiting until after the holiday recess for a new senator to be appointed so they will have the 60 votes to force cloture and pass the bill.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:34 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The house is the biggest reason why we will likely have to go to the extreme of bankruptcy.
Bit extreme? Most states you can mail them the keys and walk away with a big ding to your credit score but without owing the negative equity part. No idea with Kentucky, though. Best to save bankruptcy for when you really need it -- like medical bills -- as you can only throw that dice every 7 years.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
What happens when you reach the end of your unemployment benefit? What do you live on?
Unfortunately, your buggered. I am, so we're in good company
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
wtf...how does anyone even get unemployment in the first place?
Mr J lost his job in March due to the call centre closing down and they wont give him a penny. He got an "appeal" phone call a while ago....still havent heard anything
In Maine, you've to be full time, W2 employee and worked 12 months at the same place to qualify for unemployment. Once you sign up, you wait a month, and have to apply for x number of jobs a week, 4 I think, signing up in person, though these days it might be online too.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Bit extreme? Most states you can mail them the keys and walk away with a big ding to your credit score but without owing the negative equity part. No idea with Kentucky, though. Best to save bankruptcy for when you really need it -- like medical bills -- as you can only throw that dice every 7 years.
About half the states are non-recourse; unfortunately for sunflower, Kentucky isn't one of them. That doesn't mean a lender would come after them in a foreclosure, and I certainly wouldn't be declaring bankruptcy - absent other significant debts - unless they did.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Michael
You should be able to collect up to 99 weeks of unemployment benefits (length depends on the unemployment rate in your state).

Although extended unemployment benefits expired at the end of June, the democrats are waiting until after recess for a new senator to be appointed to replace Robert Byrd so they will have enough votes to pass the bill (Snow and Collins supposedly support the extension along with 58 democrats to force cloture).

http://employeeissues.com/extended_benefits.htm
Also had to have signed up before a certain period of time though, and have been laid off before a certain period of time to have gotten it.

MA senator voted against it, so cost the state $700M in funding, so lot of unhappy people in MA.

Thing is though, to get the extension, state has to have over 9% unemployment, and that is counting people who sign on. Those who have exhausted their allowance don't have to sign on weekly because they can't, so they aren't counted in the unemployment figures, so suddenly a lot of states are looking better than they really are.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:53 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
About half the states are non-recourse; unfortunately for sunflower, Kentucky isn't one of them. That doesn't mean a lender would come after them in a foreclosure, and I certainly wouldn't be declaring bankruptcy - absent other significant debts - unless they did.
Good point - the problem appears to be deficiency judgements. I had a bit google and found this CNN article that mentions a non-profit that helps folks negotiate away shortfalls.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Also had to have signed up before a certain period of time though, and have been laid off before a certain period of time to have gotten it.
Not the case for extended unemployment benefits unless you were laid off significantly before the first extension was passed (that left some of the people that were laid off in 2008 without extended benefits). Unfortunately that might have been your case since I believe you were laid off in early 2008. However, that was the case for the Cobra subsidy that was extended from 9 to 15 months.
MA senator voted against it, so cost the state $700M in funding, so lot of unhappy people in MA.
The $35 billion package includes extending the unemployment benefits as well as increased subsidies for Medicaid. Normally the state pays 30%-50% of the cost of Medicaid benefits (depending on the medium family income in the state) but many more people have started getting Medicaid coverage since the recession started. This would have significantly increased the cost to states so the federal government is paying most of the additional cost of Medicaid due to the recession.
Thing is though, to get the extension, state has to have over 9% unemployment, and that is counting people who sign on. Those who have exhausted their allowance don't have to sign on weekly because they can't, so they aren't counted in the unemployment figures, so suddenly a lot of states are looking better than they really are.
The federal government gets the unemployment rate through their monthly household employment survey (not from the unemployment office) for the purposes of determining how many extensions will be needed.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 2nd 2010 at 8:47 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
They can come after you for a deficiency in KY unfortunately. So likely we will do a deed-in-lieu (mail in the keys as you say) at a certain point in time if we don't have a buyer..and after we will likely have to do a bankruptcy to prevent a deficiency judgment from the lien holder. I'm not sure of all the details as yet since we haven't consulted a bankruptcy or real estate attorney yet, but it does seem pretty likely we will have to do a BK because of this as well as other debts.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 2nd 2010 at 9:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.