Reload this Page >

Unbelieveable!!

Unbelieveable!!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:50 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Unbelieveable!!

Originally Posted by Boiler
Oops should have read the link first:

"The fact that they had to use plastic restraints and that the standard-issued handcuffs would not fit the 5-year-old, that says it all," said Trevena. "Handcuffs aren't made for 5-year-olds, because 5-year-olds aren't supposed to be handcuffed."
So if ... the handcuffs can't fit ... acquit! Where did I hear that ... Hmmmm, those OJ gloves ...

What if someone is too big for handcuffs ... would Trevena's "legal argument" still hold?

The fact that they had to use plastic restraints and that the standard-issued handcuffs would not fit the 50 stone fat man, that says it all," said Trevena. "Handcuffs aren't made for 50 stone fat men, because 50 stone fat men aren't supposed to be handcuffed.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Unbelieveable!!

Originally Posted by syllk
Well if handcuffs aren't allowed, then I say it's time to bring out the tasers...
They do,
Taser subdues unruly 14 year old for not dropping gameboy during class

Officer's Taser is used on girl, 9

Police used Taser gun to subdue 6-year-old student

Police arrest boy after scuffle 8-year-old handcuffed, charged with battery

I've been following this kind of thing for years it's nothing new its just the police state is growing in this country and around the world also. One more major 'terrorist' attack and they will likely declare martial law in america.

i'll go back to sleep now

Last edited by cabritpop; Apr 23rd 2005 at 12:02 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:10 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by cabritpop
They do,
Taser subdues unruly 14 year old for not dropping gameboy during class

Officer's Taser is used on girl, 9

Police used Taser gun to subdue 6-year-old student

Police arrest boy after scuffle 8-year-old handcuffed, charged with battery

I've been following this kind of thing for years it's nothing new its just the police state is growing in this country and around the world also. One more major 'terrorist' attack and they will likely declare martial law in america.

i'll go back to sleep now
It's very sad and tragic that a taser is ever used on a violent 14 year old boy. But the first article you cite hardly bolsters your argument and criticism of the police. If I am reading the article right, the 14-year-old boy was "swinging fists and kicking at the officer". Lets assume that was correct ... what is the officer supposed to do? Nothing? Take the punishment from the 14-year-old boy?

According to the article the boy had a "lengthy tussle with three police officers and the assistant principal at Lincoln Park High School". The school called in the police ... so what was the cops supposed to do? Why bother responding to the call at all. What kind of message would that send to other 14 year olds? Fight and kick the assistant principal and you get left alone to do your own thing. So if a 14 year old pulls a gun and wanders around a school shooting other students, don't the police have a duty to protect staff and students? Didn't the assistant principal have his rights violated by a 14 year kicking him? Didn't the police offer have little choice than to use a taser? The boy had no lasting injuries (just a scratch or similar thing, probably from fighting the assistant principal and police officers who obviously showed remarkable restraint because the boy had nothing more than a scratch despite his violent behavior against a school staff member and three police officers).

It took three police officers and an assistant principal to try and stop him and when that didn’t work, a taser.

What should the officers have done then? Let the 14-year-old carry on with his obviously anti-social violent behavior? What exactly?

Last edited by Franklin; Apr 23rd 2005 at 12:25 am.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:24 am
ImHere

No rete its just as bad in the uK.

We are creating society of ill disciplined, disrespectful hooligans with all the PC bull. But while theres politicians, dogooders and lawyers as well as parents who are unwilling to take responsibility we wont get out of the mess.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:39 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franklin
It's very sad and tragic that a taser is ever used on a violent 14 year old boy. But the first article you cite hardly bolsters your argument and criticism of the police. If I am reading the article right, the 14-year-old boy was "swinging fists and kicking at the officer". Lets assume that was correct ... what is the officer supposed to do? Nothing? Take the punishment from the 14-year-old boy?

According to the article the boy had a "lengthy tussle with three police officers and the assistant principal at Lincoln Park High School". The school called in the police ... so what was the cops supposed to do? Why bother responding to the call at all. What kind of message would that send to other 14 year olds? Fight and kick the assistant principal and you get left alone to do your own thing. So if a 14 year old pulls a gun and wanders around a school shooting other students, don't the police have a duty to protect staff and students? Didn't the assistant principal have his rights violated by a 14 year kicking him? Didn't the police offer have little choice than to use a taser? The boy had no lasting injuries (just a scratch or similar thing, probably from fighting the assistant principal and police officers who obviously showed remarkable restraint because the boy had nothing more than a scratch despite his violent behavior against a school staff member and three police officers).

It took three police officers and an assistant principal to try and stop him and when that didn’t work, a taser.

What should the officers have done then? Let the 14-year-old carry on with his obviously anti-social violent behavior? What exactly?
Damn right - I would have tasered the little bastard from the get go....
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:59 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
No rete its just as bad in the uK.
Is it?

Not lived there for a long while and all I have to go on is mama's well-meaning but somewhat tainted views and my Weekly Torygraph (with an occasional sneek @ the online Grauniad).

Does the UK really have a legal system whereby you can sue anybody for obscene sums of money and label them, for example, as a sex offender for peeing behind a tree in the park when caught short on a trip back from the pub?

Does the UK have a workplace environment where the operating procedures are actually impossible to follow so that companies can keep blaming the individual rather than sorting out the problem?

Knew it was getting bad, just didn't know it was that bad, yet!
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 1:54 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Is it?

Not lived there for a long while and all I have to go on is mama's well-meaning but somewhat tainted views and my Weekly Torygraph (with an occasional sneek @ the online Grauniad).

Does the UK really have a legal system whereby you can sue anybody for obscene sums of money and label them, for example, as a sex offender for peeing behind a tree in the park when caught short on a trip back from the pub?

Does the UK have a workplace environment where the operating procedures are actually impossible to follow so that companies can keep blaming the individual rather than sorting out the problem?

Knew it was getting bad, just didn't know it was that bad, yet!

Its got pretty close yes. I would say its not quite as mad as the US but sure as hell catching up fast.

Just before I left the force one of our female colleagues succesfully sued the force for about half a million quid: She was a Sgt and got promoted to Acting Inspector but was crap at it and went off ill with "Stress". So she sued the force for "Causing her undue stress by promoting her to a position she was unsuitable for".

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:08 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Its got pretty close yes. I would say its not quite as mad as the US but sure as hell catching up fast.

Just before I left the force one of our female colleagues succesfully sued the force for about half a million quid: She was a Sgt and got promoted to Acting Inspector but was crap at it and went off ill with "Stress". So she sued the force for "Causing her undue stress by promoting her to a position she was unsuitable for".

Oh well -- always did prefer living in the real Evropa rather than the isolated-by-fog-in-channel outgrowth bit.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 2:43 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Oh well -- always did prefer living in the real Evropa rather than the isolated-by-fog-in-channel outgrowth bit.

Yeah, I prefer Spain these days to Britain as a place to live. Its much like the UK was 20 years ago in a lot of respects, now the shackles of dictatorship have finally been done away with. As long as you avoid the Brit infested waters along the Costas that is.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Well I say the kid is sick and should see a shrink... oh and while we are at it lets dope her up on Prozac and Ritalin

Kids are kids... not little adults... they all have their moments. No five year old should ever be handcuffed... ever.

Ash
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite on story, but worth reading...

I had the privelige of watching a mother requesting that her child be arrested at Boston Airport about 7 years ago...

He was obviously terrified of flying and the mother was offering no sympathy at all... The kid hit the mothers leg (he couldn't reach any higher) and she screamed and called the police...

Thankfully the policeman spent more time comforting the kid rather than paying attention to the mother rantings.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:58 am
ImHere

I honestly believe people should be vetted prior to being allowed to breed to see if there is any chance at all of them being even half decent parents with a modicum of responsibility.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:05 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Someone will jump down my throat, but this all started, IMO, when the teachers'/parents' hands were tied re: disciplining their kids (swatting their behinds in other words).

The young parents of today grew up with no real discipline in their lives.

When I went to school in the 70's/80's, we were there to get an education, and god help us if we misbehaved. We'd get it from the teachers and then at home again from the parents.

None of us grew up 'psychologically' damaged from having to write 10 000 lines of 'I will be quiet in class'....or a good swat to the behind.

What do kids have to fear from teachers/parents anymore? Detention? A lark. Time out? Great, get to play in my room by myself. School suspension?...oh YEAH, I've scored BIGTIME!

Bring it back in schools, and I'd be willing to bet that the problem would be sorted out in no time..
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:44 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you can't complain about disciplining kids,

then complain about chavs 15 years later