Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Unbelieveable!!

Unbelieveable!!

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:47 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Unbelieveable!!

The mother of a 5-year-old is upset about her child being put in handcuffs at a St. Petersburg school.

Officials at Fairmount Elementary on 41st Street South say the little girl was disruptive and violent on March 14, striking and kicking several teachers and administrators. The girl's mother couldn't come to the school right away, so police were called. Baynews9.com

What is the world coming to, when a school principle calls the cops on an unruly 5 year old?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:49 am
ImHere

Default Re: Unbelieveable!!

Id be pretty bloody upset if I found my daughter had been hand cuffed too to be honest.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Id be pretty bloody upset if I found my daughter had been hand cuffed too to be honest.
damn right.....i'd be well pissed.....in fact i'd really be pissed......kids can get unruley....welcome to the real world
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:59 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by emmals
damn right.....i'd be well pissed.....in fact i'd really be pissed......kids can get unruley....welcome to the real world
I dunno - have you seen some of the cases the British Nanny has been dealing with.... I forget the TV show...

I think calling the police is one thing - bear in mind the parents would sue if you locked them in a room, held them down, held them back - hell - if you even touched them. The POLICE should not have hand-cuffed the child but again - in the "we'lll sue" America - it's no surprise. Maybe they did it to protect the chld from themselves.

Parents put their kids in school young when they cannot control them.

I cannot believe the attitude and disrepect some kids have today - the same is true in Britain as it is in the USA. Heck, if my kids were that un-ruly - I'm not sure I'd mnd - but then they never have been and never would.......

What a sad state of affairs we live in when it comes to this though - real sad...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:16 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the mother has done a piss poor job of teaching the girl any boundaries, rules or consequences. What I can't understand is what the school thought would be achieved by doing this? The girl won't have learnt anything from this, except from her mum who will no doubt be very hostile to the police and school from now on. Jeez, haven't they heard of 'time outs'?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:19 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by emmals

Welcome to the whacky world of the US of A. Something you'll come to realise when you come over em is the bizzare way they have of dealing with kids. Kids arent allowed to be kids, they have to be little adults. Oh and no matter how much of a shit they are its not the parents fault, bless em.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:25 am
Z3M
Banned

Z3M will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Unbelieveable!!

What are the teachers meant to do then,you cant slap the kids like you used to be able to do it didnt do me or anyone i know any harm, everyone is so bloody pc these days what do you expect?.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Z3M
What are the teachers meant to do then,you cant slap the kids like you used to be able to do it didnt do me or anyone i know any harm, everyone is so bloody pc these days what do you expect?.
Could not believe what I saw. No matter what the reason 'cuffing' a kid, come on. Should have dragged the Mother in to control the child and then read her the rules of acceptance at the school.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:37 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Z3M

No objection to restraint. But unless she was a serious danger to herself or someone else then cuffs are a bit extreme for a 5 year old. Mind you i spose its good practice for later life since cuffing is de-rigour here until the cops are happy you wont run/shoot them regardless of eventual arrest or not.

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:42 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Well if handcuffs aren't allowed, then I say it's time to bring out the tasers...
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:10 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps the police were called simply because the schools are so open to lawsuits and the like from parents who don't want teachers and/or administrators to reprimand or discipline their children.

My husband works in a middle school and often has to walk away from a computer where he has gone to assist a student with a computer problem because the young lady of 10, 11 or 12 is well endowed and in school with an abbreviated tank top with no bra on. The last thing he needs is for the student to say he was looking down her blouse.

That is the world we live in today. Fear of repercussions from parents who are lenient and have no control over their children and often not around to teach them manners, respect for others, respect for themselves or morals.

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Obviously the mother has done a piss poor job of teaching the girl any boundaries, rules or consequences. What I can't understand is what the school thought would be achieved by doing this? The girl won't have learnt anything from this, except from her mum who will no doubt be very hostile to the police and school from now on. Jeez, haven't they heard of 'time outs'?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:15 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Welcome to the whacky world of the US of A. Something you'll come to realise when you come over em is the bizzare way they have of dealing with kids. Kids arent allowed to be kids, they have to be little adults. Oh and no matter how much of a shit they are its not the parents fault, bless em.

Come on. It is not just the US and it is not about making kids behave as adults. A child use to be taught respect for themselves and others from the moment they were able to interact with people. I was never allowed to misbehave and throw tantrums in school or in public and damn straight if I did it at home I was punished for the tantrum and not bought off so that I would stop.

Check out Canada where PC is even worse than in the States. I don't believe British schools are better off in their approach to children.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:17 am
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah I suspect a law suit and also suspect that the cuffs prevented the cops from being struck from the kid and as such prevented the cop from chibbing the stupid girl.

Might teach her a wee lesson about repecting her teacher - then again maybe not.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do the School Kindergaten Run.

They only do mornings when they are 5.

There is one of her classmates where I could see a taser being useful.

But there is no way handcuffs for an adult would fit our 5 year old, so do they have them in child sizes??
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do the School Kindergaten Run.

They only do mornings when they are 5.

There is one of her classmates where I could see a taser being useful.

But there is no way handcuffs for an adult would fit our 5 year old, so do they have them in child sizes??
Oops should have read the link first:

"The fact that they had to use plastic restraints and that the standard-issued handcuffs would not fit the 5-year-old, that says it all," said Trevena. "Handcuffs aren't made for 5-year-olds, because 5-year-olds aren't supposed to be handcuffed."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.